Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your country's national sport / most popular spectator sport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by Rojik View Post
    And if my partition is successful - both at the same time.

Buddy making a long lead into the centre square only to have Michael Clark cover drive him to the boundary would put some bums on seats at the 'G.
    Yes, I've sometimes thought that the batting side, in addition to having the two men in the middle should also enter the park as "anti-fielders" whose task it is to frustrate the bowling side's fielding effort by any means possible:- perhaps with the aid of wielded cricket bats.

Leave a comment:

• Rojik
    replied
    Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
    Australia having the advantage that Australian Rules & Cricket are both played on the same oval.
    And if my partition is successful - both at the same time.

Buddy making a long lead into the centre square only to have Michael Clark cover drive him to the boundary would put some bums on seats at the 'G.

Leave a comment:

• Sparlingo
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Sure glad for you that the Queen approved your list.

Have I been mistaking all these years to think that Canada is a sovereign country?

The Queen approves... Maybe I've been mistaking all this time.
    Hi John,

Good to hear you are back.

No you have not been mistaken all these years. Perhaps your confusion is arising from getting "her majesty the Queen" confused with the "Queen of Great Britain". The Act is referring to the "Queen of Canada" as in "God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf Forever!"

Paul

Leave a comment:

• McMax
    replied
    Football. This will explain why.

American Football, the greatest sport ever!

Leave a comment:

• Cosmos
    replied
    Originally posted by 2nd Rangers View Post
    It is Bocce.

Now cricket is a unique sport which I believe is totally British.
    Lawn bowls are not spherical and they have a bias which makes the way they roll less predictable. The game requires them to be bowled underarm -- never thrown.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
    Someone did, Here's the 1994 National Sport's Act of Canada:
    Sure glad for you that the Queen approved your list.

Have I been mistaking all these years to think that Canada is a sovereign country?

The Queen approves... Maybe I've been mistaking all this time.

Leave a comment:

• 2nd Rangers
    replied
    Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    Ssshhhhh.............

Besides for the grass, it is Bocce. The Empire lives..........................
    It is Bocce.

Now cricket is a unique sport which I believe is totally British.

Leave a comment:

• VinceW
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
    If we're going to have two official sports winter and summer the summer game should be football(American)since I'm sure most Canadians would rather have that then Lacrosse at least out West we would.

Leave a comment:

• Sparlingo
    replied
    Originally posted by VinceW View Post
    Hockey but officially Lacrosse is the National sport of Canada.
    Someone should change that.

National Sports of Canada Act

S.C. 1994, c. 16

Assented to 1994-05-12

An Act to recognize hockey and lacrosse as the national sports of Canada

Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:

SHORT TITLE

Marginal note:Short title

1. This Act may be cited as the National Sports of Canada Act.

NATIONAL SPORTS OF CANADA

Marginal note:Hockey and lacrosse to be national sports

2. The game commonly known as ice hockey is hereby recognized and declared to be the national winter sport of Canada and the game commonly known as lacrosse is hereby recognized and declared to be the national summer sport of Canada.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
    For years baseball was the #1 sport in the United States but football is now #1. Basketball has always been #3 even with the NBA promoting the hell out of it. When I was a kid soccer started to make a push at being one of the top sports in the nation but it died down pretty quickly.
    Don't be ridiculous. Bowling was #1. We just had to keep it quiet so the Canadians would not fear that we were muscling into the sport of curling.

Leave a comment:

• Checkertail20
    replied
    For years baseball was the #1 sport in the United States but football is now #1. Basketball has always been #3 even with the NBA promoting the hell out of it. When I was a kid soccer started to make a push at being one of the top sports in the nation but it died down pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
    Australian 'seniors' are lucky to also have lawn bowling available to them.

Ssshhhhh.............

Besides for the grass, it is Bocce. The Empire lives..........................

Leave a comment:

• Cosmos
    replied
    Originally posted by 2nd Rangers View Post
    For those of us in the over 50 crowd; Thank God for Golf. The ball just sits there and you hit it.
    Australian 'seniors' are lucky to also have lawn bowling available to them.

Leave a comment:

• Cosmos
    replied
    Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
    Yes, but as far as the two principal winter sports are concerned- Australian Rules and Rugby League-there is a divide known as the "Barassi Line", named after the legendary Australian Rules player Ron Barassi. It runs from the Gulf of Carpenteria in the north diagonally through the country to the NSW- Victoria border in the extreme south-east. North and East of this Line-that's NSW, less the Riverina Country, and the whole of Queensland-Rugby League is the favoured winter sport, whereas South and West of this line-the remainder of the country- Australian Rules is the preferred sport. While it's true that the two competing codes are attempting to infiltrate into the opposition territory this rule still, basically, holds good, certainly in the rural areas.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Polo is the popular sport in San Francisco, but due to pressure from local liberals who despise any sport involving animals, this is an inside secret.

Bocce Ball is second, but due to it's connection with The Roman Empire and possibly Mob ties, it is also an inside secret.

Dumpster Diving is third due to so many people down on their luck flocking to San Francisco and our obsessive drive regarding recycling.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X