Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your country's national sport / most popular spectator sport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your country's national sport / most popular spectator sport?

I was born in the UK and when I left in the 70s the most popular spectator sport was football (aka soccer) - the second most popular was stock-car racing ; I believe the second most popular would have changed by now but football looks like being the national sport forever.

My nearly forty years in Australia have seen many changes even in sports. The national game is definitely Australian rules football - it's similar to Gaelic football but is played with an egg-shaped ball. Australia is a little more complicated as far as sport is concerned though as different sports are preferred in different states - for example Rugby League is the most popular game in New South Wales.
    Last edited by Cosmos; 04 Aug 13, 08:43.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Anyone who says otherwise is a communist.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke Maynard View Post

Anyone who says otherwise is a communist.
      What are the rules of the game?
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

In the US at the Pro level it's football followed by base ball. Motor Racing comes in around 5th, depending on what poll you read.

Soccer (association football) is less popular as a spectator sport in the United States than it is in many other countries, though it has wide participation in amateur and semi-professional levels. The top league, Major League Soccer, continues to grow and has surpassed the NBA and the NHL in average attendance
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Football, of course - Partick Thistle and Scotland.

I can't use the S-word, because UEFA (Europe) and FIFA (World), both of whom actually represent more than one country, don't use it.
          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
            I was born in the UK and when I left in the 70s the most popular spectator sport was football (aka soccer) - the second most popular was stock-car racing ; I believe the second most popular would have changed by now but football looks like being the national sport forever.

My nearly forty years in Australia have seen many changes even in sports. The national game is definitely Australian rules football - it's similar to Gaelic football but is played with an egg-shaped ball. Australia is a little more complicated as far as sport is concerned though as different sports are preferred in different states - for example Rugby League is the most popular game in New South Wales.
            I would reckon would have to be International Cricket I know it is pretty popular in summer
            http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

In Texas it is American football followed closely by Trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
                In Texas it is American football followed closely by Trucks.

Yep! Just in San Francisco, it's the NFL (football) & MLB (baseball), then followed by the NBA (basketball) & NHL (hockey). Soccer is only popular in Spanish & Asian speaking neighborhoods. The soccer crowd also hang out at European cafes/bars. We also have a good percentage of people who are into golf and tennis. We are just too diverse.
                "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                  We are just too diverse.
                  And too expensive

Comment

Hockey but officially Lacrosse is the National sport of Canada.
                    Someone should change that.

Comment

Originally posted by 150935 View Post
                      I would reckon would have to be International Cricket I know it is pretty popular in summer
                      Yes, the most popular Summer sport for both countries would have to be cricket. Australia having the advantage that Australian Rules & Cricket are both played on the same oval.

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                        Yep! Just in San Francisco, it's the NFL (football) & MLB (baseball), then followed by the NBA (basketball) & NHL (hockey).
                        Yes, Australia plays three of those sports (American football is similar to our two Rugby games and has the same origin). A baseball league has been set up with six professional teams. http://web.theabl.com.au/index.jsp We call hockey ice hockey and our hockey you call field hockey. Both basketball and netball are popular here. Volleyball is also popular. In fact there are very many different sports for young people to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
                          Yes, Australia plays three of those sports (American football is similar to our two Rugby games and has the same origin). A baseball league has been set up with six professional teams. http://web.theabl.com.au/index.jsp We call hockey ice hockey and our hockey you call field hockey. Both basketball and netball are popular here. Volleyball is also popular. In fact there are very many different sports for young people to choose from.
                          Yes, but as far as the two principal winter sports are concerned- Australian Rules and Rugby League-there is a divide known as the "Barassi Line", named after the legendary Australian Rules player Ron Barassi. It runs from the Gulf of Carpenteria in the north diagonally through the country to the NSW- Victoria border in the extreme south-east. North and East of this Line-that's NSW, less the Riverina Country, and the whole of Queensland-Rugby League is the favoured winter sport, whereas South and West of this line-the remainder of the country- Australian Rules is the preferred sport. While it's true that the two competing codes are attempting to infiltrate into the opposition territory this rule still, basically, holds good, certainly in the rural areas.
                          Attached Files
                          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            In the US at the Pro level it's football followed by base ball. Motor Racing comes in around 5th, depending on what poll you read.
                            It's Football by a growing margin.

For those of us in the over 50 crowd; Thank God for Golf. The ball just sits there and you hit it.
                            God Save The Republic.

Comment

Polo is the popular sport in San Francisco, but due to pressure from local liberals who despise any sport involving animals, this is an inside secret.

Bocce Ball is second, but due to it's connection with The Roman Empire and possibly Mob ties, it is also an inside secret.

Dumpster Diving is third due to so many people down on their luck flocking to San Francisco and our obsessive drive regarding recycling.
                              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X