This sign should hang at all youth sporting events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This sign should hang at all youth sporting events

This sign hangs at Buffalo Grove field in Chicago.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...095119074.html

“When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

That sign should be hung at every sports park in the world where kids play organized team sports.
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

That's too sensible. Surely that isn't from suburban Chicago -- where that dumbass Steve Bartman is still receiving death threats.

I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Ball sports... So violent... So useless...
        "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

I always liked:

Job responsibilities:

They play
          I coach
          Parents cheer

Regards,
          Dennis
          If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
            I always liked:

Job responsibilities:

They play
            I coach
            Parents cheer

Regards,
            Dennis
            My brother would agree. He's a coach, and gets very annoyed when anyone other than him, or a superior or assistant coach would try to play coach and yell stuff for kids to do.
            "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
              My brother would agree. He's a coach, and gets very annoyed when anyone other than him, or a superior or assistant coach would try to play coach and yell stuff for kids to do.
              Unreal stuff happens all the time in all youth activities, sports, music, dance, you name it. Over-active parents/kin are ubiquitous.

The amazing thing is the how few of the geniuses in the stands, audiences or wherever are willing to display their talents in actually helping!

Sadly, just yesterday I resigned from coaching a sport I truly loved due to our relocation during the rest of our retirement years. A bittersweet day...

Regards,
              Dennis
              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Here's a sign for the hecklers...

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Unfortunately some parents try to make up their own failure at sports through their children, and that is sickening.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                    Ball sports... So violent... So useless...
                    That's why I watch hockey. Useful violence.

On a serious note. When I was little, about 8, I went to soccer practice for the first time. I had a blast. Chasing and kicking the ball, running around, it was fun! I even got a juice and a snack afterward! Then I got in the car with my dad and he screamed at me like I had never been screamed at before. His face was purple he was so mad. He told me I embarrassed him, I was the worst soccer player he had ever seen, he was ashamed of me, and lots more. I was devastated. Absolutely heartbroken. I cried myself to sleep that night. Never went to soccer practice again or played a team sport. When I ran cross country in high school my dad came to 1 race. I placed third. He was so disgusted he wouldn't even look at me. I quit that too and to this day I won't play any sports.
                    Last edited by ElefantPanzer; 14 Jun 13, 02:17.
                    Proud to be an American Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by ElefantPanzer View Post

On a serious note...
                      I was serious.

If all these ball-handling thugs think they can fight, they should try their hand at a combat sport.

They don't because they're punks and bullies. Easier to just beat an old referee to death or hospitalize a fan.
                      "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

I have a simple practice that I put into place with the parents of the kids I coach. At the beginning of the season I ask for parents who are willing to help out during practices and games. I usually get one or two who step up each season and for that I am extremely grateful. When the parents start to try coaching their kids from the sidelines I then remind them that they had the opportunity to help out at the beginning of the season to which they declined. (I do this off to the side so that it doesn't get overheard by other parents or the kids, no need to embarrass anyone at this point) If they continue, the next game I walk over and give the parent a big lollipop to suck on...surprisingly they often accept it and find a hard time talking to the kids while enjoying it. Only once have I had to go to the league rep and have them step in...that one time was when the parent...actually I think it was a grandparent was being verbally abusive. I think the league threatened them with trespassing charges if they came back. Whether it would stick or not I don't know, but I do know I did not have a problem with that person again and I coached that child for 3 seasons after that.
                        Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

Originally posted by ElefantPanzer View Post

On a serious note. When I was little, about 8, I went to soccer practice for the first time. I had a blast. Chasing and kicking the ball, running around, it was fun! I even got a juice and a snack afterward! Then I got in the car with my dad and he screamed at me like I had never been screamed at before. His face was purple he was so mad. He told me I embarrassed him, I was the worst soccer player he had ever seen, he was ashamed of me, and lots more. I was devastated. Absolutely heartbroken. I cried myself to sleep that night. Never went to soccer practice again or played a team sport. When I ran cross country in high school my dad came to 1 race. I placed third. He was so disgusted he wouldn't even look at me. I quit that too and to this day I won't play any sports.
                          See, the whole thing is not to take it to heart. My dad yelled at me damn near every day of my childhood-it kind of weirded me out when he answered the phone in a normal tone of voice.

It wasn't until after I left home they found out Korea had left him about half deaf...

My dad yelled at me, the coaches yelled...that's just part of the process.

Ah, the early years...a herd of fourth-graders charging up and down a NBA regulation court, careening into each other, ending a full-length game battered and exhausted with a final score in the single digits. Hell, we thought it was good when your shot hit the rim or backboard. I always thought the college players we watched were wimps because they never punched a ball carrier...
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X