This is really pathetic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is really pathetic...

Texas teen points to heavens, gets relay team banned from state championship:

Of the likely places for a debate over religious free expression to erupt, a Texas high school track and field meet probably wasn’t high on the list.
    Remarkably, that’s precisely where one athlete’s reactionary gesture has led to a broader discussion about what is appropriate at public school events, after a Columbus (Texas) High relay team was disqualified for one of their member’s heavenward gesture. The incident occurred in Columbus, where the track and field team was hosting a meet with the goal of qualify athletes for the state championship meet later in May.
    As first reported by Houston CBS affiliate KHOU, the school’s 4x100-meter relay squad achieved just that in winning its race decisively. The anchor of that 4x100 squad was junior Derrick Hayes, who ran a particularly blazing split and celebrated the team’s state qualification with a simple finger point to the heavens.
    The gesture is a common one in sports -- remember Sammy Sosa or Barry Bonds after breaking the single season home run record? -- but on this occasion, it was deemed to have run afoul of a University Interscholastic League (UIL) regulation barring excessive celebration.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...181303156.html

*The first comment under the article: "I'm an atheist and even I think that's ridiculous." I think that about sums it up.
    "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

And impossible to prove, couldn't he have been pointing to anything, a wanted convict in the stands, malfunctioning light or approaching thunderstorm.

As a coach I'd demand to see the regulation upon which the disqualification was based and argue till the lights went out
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 06 May 13, 07:47.
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Publicly Thanking their 'Lord and Saviour' after a big win is becoming increasingly the thing to do with American pro golfers. Payne Stewart used to do it regularly. Bubba Watson did it last year after winning the Masters. And yesterday, Derek Ernst, after winning the Wells Fargo Championship as a rookie was immediately interviewed, and the first thing he said to the TV audience was, "I'd like to thank my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ for this win!"

Philip
      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Well in an interview you can say whatever you want, if this was used as a ground for disqualifying they need to produce a regulation that allows them to do so.

Same thing happened here in regard to football players who took off their shirts to celebrate a goal, the ruling had to be revised several times because players(or rather club representatives) kept finding ways to challenge a yellow card given for that reason.

Right now it has become very difficult since at least one arm+shoulder has to remain inside the official shirt

Comment

They must be too scared to call it religious intolerance. Instead they label it upholding the rules regarding excessive celebration.

What a joke.
          "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

My internet provider blocks the link, any chance of seeing the actual rule ?

Putting one hand in the air surely can't be "excessive" no matter what you point at.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
              My internet provider blocks the link, any chance of seeing the actual rule ?

Putting one hand in the air surely can't be "excessive" no matter what you point at.

Are you sure about that?

I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

"...it was deemed to have run afoul of a University Interscholastic League (UIL) regulation barring excessive celebration".

I sure as hell would like to know what in-excessive constitutes and the rationale and reasoning that goes into all of it. It's not like the guy tossed down a prayer rug, lit candles, and quoted chapter and verse aloud then passed the plate afterwards. Damn.
                Youthful Exuberance Is No Match For Old Age And Treachery.

Comment

We have kids who can't add or subtract fractions, don't know who fought in World War 2 and have terrible reading skills and this is what our schools are worried about.
                  “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                  ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                    We have kids who can't add or subtract fractions, don't know who fought in World War 2 and have terrible reading skills and this is what our schools are worried about.
                    I don't think those kids were in the race. The last time I was in a Texas school, an F prevented any participation in school athletics.

I think you should take the officials for their word. Didn't one of these kids families bring a camera to record the event? Texas is not exactly an intolerant place for Christians. We have entire stadia filled with evangelical events, and every sunday, giant ware-houses (big-box) churches that can seat 10,000 people filled. Even in the big cities, Christian churches of all flavers outnumber any commercial establishment from Walmart to McDonolds.
                    Last edited by Cicero; 07 May 13, 14:24.

Comment

LOOK! UP IN THE SKY! IT'S A BIRD! IT'S A PLANE...No It's ...IT'S ...NO!!!THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKYISFALLING!!!!AAAAAAAHHHH!!....
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X