15 Best Teams Never To Win NCAA Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 Best Teams Never To Win NCAA Tournament

Still shocked that Houston couldn't beat N.C. State and the 1984 North Carolina Tar Heels basicaaly had a future NBA team but got knocked off by Indiana.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-...caa-tournament
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

Great link! UNLV 1991 was my first pick as well. The thing about college basketball that is so much different than college football, is that a team that isn't ranked can still beat a top ranked team in the tournament. Again and again each year there are huge upsets in the tournament. A team like Wichita State in football couldn't beat a top 4 team like Alabama or Oregon.

Comment

The thing I remember about that Duke team that beat UNLV in the 1991 Final Four is that they had a tough non-conference schedule (Arizona, Oklahoma, Michigan and Georgetown) and then had the ACC which was very tough. By the time they got to the Final Four they were more mentally prepared than a UNLV team that had a much easier schedule. Duke also won the national championship the following year and many say that is one of college basketball's greatest teams. It was considered a huge upset at the time but looking back I don't know if it was that big of an upset.
      Last edited by Checkertail20; 08 Apr 13, 02:46.
      “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
      ― Groucho Marx

Comment

1985 St Johns. They were a City team through and through. And I still root against Georgetown.

Most shocking of all, unbeknownst to me at the time, my future brother-in-law was attending 'Nova at the time.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
          The thing I remember about that Duke team that beat UNLV in the 1991 Final Four is that they had a tough non-conference schedule (Arizona, Oklahoma, Michigan and Georgetown) and then had the ACC which was very tough. By the time they got to the Final Four they were more mentally prepared than a UNLV team that had a much easier schedule. Duke also won the national championship the following year and many say that is one of college basketball's greatest teams. It was considered a huge upset at the time but looking back I don't know if it was that big of an upset.
          Yes, good point about Duke playing a tough schedule, but even though UNLV hadn't played a tough schedule they were still undefeated and up to that point in the tournament had won their games very convicningly. Also, the prior year the same UNLV team beat pretty much the same Duke team in the NCAA Championship by a large margin. One of the other things I recall from that game in 1991 is that Greg Anthony fouled out and UNLV was winning at that point. Once he went out UNLV wasn't the same and Duke made a great finish.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X