USAF Cuts Flyovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USAF Cuts Flyovers

Flyovers have always been a big part of Nascar, there is great respect for our military. Flyovers have been a part of NASCAR races since the 50s.

Due to budget cuts, all Air Force flyovers will be suspended immediately except for the Thunderbirds, which will be suspended on April 1. Las Vegas Motor Speedway has an agreement with the Thunderbirds based nearby at Nellis Air Force Base for its Sprint Cup race next week. The suspension of flyovers for the Thunderbirds will not take place until April.

This weekend, Nascar still managed a flyover. Luke Air Force was not allowed to provide a flyover for the Sprint Cup race at Phoenix. Instead, a private company provided a B-17 that is not a part of Air Force inventory.

Military flyovers have been a part of NASCAR almost from the day the first race was held in 1949.
    No definitive date exists for the first one, but long-time DIS historian Ed Roach reportedly said the Navy's Blue Angels flight demonstration team flew over the old beach course as part of pre-race festivities in 1955.
    NASCAR founder Bill France Sr., who served in World War II, was a long-time promoter of patriotism in racing events.
    Chitwood ordered additional fireworks to go off at the end of the National Anthem for Thursday's duels to replace the flyover.
    "Our fans want finality," he said. "They expect the flyover, so I wanted to give them a little bit of something."
    Smith, also the president of Charlotte Motor Speedway that traditionally puts on a military spectacular for the Memorial Day Weekend Coca-Cola 600, said it will be sad if NASCAR loses military flyovers.
    "It's a great thing to celebrate our country and the military," Smith said. "My kids and a lot of people out there don't know what a National Anthem sounds like without a flyover. It's kind of part of it.
    "It will be sad if it comes down to politicians that we don't have flyovers."
    NASCAR officials said they are working with the military and tracks to find a compromise that will allow flyovers to remain at events.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...ascar-flyovers
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

It's cool and all that, but I could think of better ways to spend a few thousand dollars on jet fuel.
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

I love it that a private donor made sure there was a flyover in Phoenix....

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
        It's cool and all that, but I could think of better ways to spend a few thousand dollars on jet fuel.

I'm not gonna lose sleep over this but it is another patriotic tradition going by the wayside....

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
          I'm not gonna lose sleep over this but it is another patriotic tradition going by the wayside....
          What do you expect? We've got multi-generational career welfare recipients to feed! We've got to give billions in aid to nations that hate us! Michelle needs her vacations!
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X