X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
    Sorry, you gave 3. On the section I put in bold I do agree with you because the focus is on the actions of the people and not the device involved in a sport. It isn't that culture but OUR culture.

Lets look at the dope dealers/users, wife killers and gun-totin' thugs in boxing for example. The acme of that sport is gone, but the actions of those involved during the period it had and continue to have the same high degree of criminal conduct as you ascribe to ball sports.

My hands would cramp up if I were to begin a list of offenders and their crimes from the "manly art of self defense."

But, it seems you think the situation would not exist if wrestling, judo or whatever non-ball sport was in the same situation. I think not and that is my point.

Given the societal and monetary rewards and culture of excusal, as you aptly phrased it, the situation would be no different regardless of the sport or any activity. The same situation exists in all fields of popular entertainment. They ain't playing with balls in those rackets, at least not as part of the performance!

Regards,
    Dennis
    Please, show me a brief list of Olympic martial artists who have caught with a ton of dope or killed their wife and got away with it in court or fathered 10 kids by 9 mothers.

Or for that matter, which of them have busted for PED used still get to compete.

Or even which ones have been bailed out legal jams by attorneys provided by their 'league.'

Show me the ones that have been given a pass their whole life based on their sport, from beating up other kids in the playground to getting caught with a bad UA or failing grades but they still get to play, the one who knocked up some chick in high school and the coach arranged the abortion to maintain legible play, he ones who get sports cars provided by the college alumni and ball-boosters...

No comparison in culture or behavior. None.

Ball handlers are a bunch of spoiled rotten children who get away with eveything.

Leave a comment:

• D1J1
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
    BS. I love the sports. I played football and baseball, proudly.

My baseball team was undefeated for two years.

Doesn't change the culture of excusal for talented jocks.

And 10 from other sports? Hell, there'll be 10 ball players in trouble just this week. Bums, all of 'em.

And I provided more than one. The dope dealer, the wife killer, and the gun-totin thug. Then again, that's a fair description for dozens of them...

And how about the ones rape women or abandon kids (all of them)?
    Sorry, you gave 3. On the section I put in bold I do agree with you because the focus is on the actions of the people and not the device involved in a sport. It isn't that culture but OUR culture.

Lets look at the dope dealers/users, wife killers and gun-totin' thugs in boxing for example. The acme of that sport is gone, but the actions of those involved during the period it had and continue to have the same high degree of criminal conduct as you ascribe to ball sports.

My hands would cramp up if I were to begin a list of offenders and their crimes from the "manly art of self defense."

But, it seems you think the situation would not exist if wrestling, judo or whatever non-ball sport was in the same situation. I think not and that is my point.

Given the societal and monetary rewards and culture of excusal, as you aptly phrased it, the situation would be no different regardless of the sport or any activity. The same situation exists in all fields of popular entertainment. They ain't playing with balls in those rackets, at least not as part of the performance!

Regards,
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    BS. I love the sports. I played football and baseball, proudly.

My baseball team was undefeated for two years.

Doesn't change the culture of excusal for talented jocks.

And 10 from other sports? Hell, there'll be 10 ball players in trouble just this week. Bums, all of 'em.

And I provided more than one. The dope dealer, the wife killer, and the gun-totin thug. Then again, that's a fair description for dozens of them...

And how about the ones rape women or abandon kids (all of them)?

Leave a comment:

• D1J1
    replied
    Still claptrap Paul. You continue to attack the sport without addressing the people. Saying a ball or ball game causes the problem is like saying guns kill people.

It isn't the object you play with or the game, it is the people. You have done nothing to prove that non-ball sports would be in any different situation if society did not provide them the same financial and social rewards the give ball sports.

Since you provided one example of a ball sport person acting badly, how about 10 from non-ball sports?!

http://www.thefix.com/content/olympi...ng90411#slide9

I know we could continue this into eternity, but my citation above does prove that the folks you seem to think are somehow above the activities of the ball players are in reality no different.

Regards,
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    After watching that jackass walk after he bailed on his friends, when all knows he was involved, Ray Lewis should never be called a hero.
    In the past, Art Modell(Yes he did) Jack Kent Cooke, and even the DeBartolo family had paid referees off. Cooke even bragged about it!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by Selous View Post
    Is this not because of the cash, spotlight and attention paid to ball sports? I have a hard time thinking it's something inherent in the ball sports themselves. So what is it that causes this dysfunctional behaviour in some sports, and not in others?
    As above, the culture of acceptance in ball sports breeds these ill-mannered hooligans.

There is no such pass in sports where money is less important.

The problem is inherent to the system of forgiveness for heinous crimes committed by star athletes in money sports.

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    It doesn't.

It proves that fans of ball sports have lower expectations.

Money apparently is the root of all evil because ball-handlers do a lot of bad stuff.

So do the ball-handling fans. Always fighting or rioting or something.
    Is this not because of the cash, spotlight and attention paid to ball sports? I have a hard time thinking it's something inherent in the ball sports themselves. So what is it that causes this dysfunctional behaviour in some sports, and not in others?

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    I'm lost now.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    These thugs should not be treated like heroes.

There is nothing funny about stripping down to your tightest man-panties and jumping on a pile of other men who are groping and thrusting and grunting and grabbing and slapping.

Booty slaps for everybody! Get naked and play shower room grab-ass!

Then murder a woman and sell some crack to kids! Whootie-Whoot!

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Sure, trivialize the evil that ball-handlers do.

Run with the pack. Accept it. Allow it. Encourage it.
    Is that a hint of the old humor?

'Cause that statement works on a few different levels as well.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Sure, trivialize the evil that ball-handlers do.

Run with the pack. Accept it. Allow it. Encourage it.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Originally posted by Selous View Post
    I think he still has one.

Selous gets it!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    You're slipping Cody.

A picture of Lance Armstrong with the statement "nary a ball in sight"?

That works on a few different levels.
    I've never been caught slipping, just like Eazy E. I believe that people who give ball-handlers a pass because they play money sports contribute to the negative qualities of those sports which most influence our youth.

I don't want my kids to admire dope-smuggling woman killers or get killed because they cheered for the wrong team.

From the little league coaches to the high school coaches to the college coaches to the pros, a little talent in a big sport equals a pass for all manner of foul activity.

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    One of the most corrupt athletes ever from one of the most corrupt sports ever.

And nary a ball in sight.
    I think he still has one.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    You're slipping Cody.

A picture of Lance Armstrong with the statement "nary a ball in sight"?

That works on a few different levels.

The less serious Cody would've been all over that.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X