Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mount Union Wins Div. III Football Championship (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount Union Wins Div. III Football Championship (again)

This school is about 12 miles away from where I live. Caught a few games over the years and what they've achieved is simply mind-boggling. In the past 20 years, the Purple Raiders have made 16 trips to the title game and won it 11 times. Larry Kehres is the best football coach in the country. His record speaks for itself. 332-24-3 is unheard of even at that level of football.

Mount Union is back on top of Division III football, and failure was the inspiration.

Kevin Burke led two second-half touchdown drives and the Purple Raiders ended a three-year losing streak in the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl with a 28-10 victory over St. Thomas of Minnesota on Friday night.

Those three straight losses, coach Larry Kehres said, gave him a sense of urgency to win again, and keep his seniors from being his first class in 20 years to leave without a title.

"It was a difficult three years to see the seniors experience loss in the final game," Kehres said. "I felt for them. This group inspired me to do everything I could coaching to make sure we got every chance to win the championship this year."
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-bowl/1770879/

Congrats to Mount Union!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

I was bummed that ESPN didn't have the Stag Bowl on TV this year. Congrats to Mount Union, I notice they didn't have to beat UWW to win this year, so plenty of fuel for that rivalry still. Which is a statement in itself that those programs have a rivalry from the Championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog View Post
      I was bummed that ESPN didn't have the Stag Bowl on TV this year. Congrats to Mount Union, I notice they didn't have to beat UWW to win this year, so plenty of fuel for that rivalry still. Which is a statement in itself that those programs have a rivalry from the Championship game.
      Yeah, UWW had an off year. No playoffs for them.

ESPNU had the game but you're right, the main ESPN channel usually carries the game. Too bad they didn't this year, more exposure on that channel than the U.
      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

An incredible program! Congratulations to them. Along the same lines Clairton, PA high school now holds the Pennsylvania record for consecutive victories at 63 and have won 4 consecutive State Championships in Class A.

Regards,
        Dennis
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X