More dirt on college athletics.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More dirt on college athletics.....

Though the article deals with football I believe hoops are worse! Early securing of agents, and cash payments to players! Sweet Jesus, I thought they were pure as the driven snow!

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2EMQ7Jk3V

I did have to roll up my cuffs and put on tall rubber boots when he alluded to Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant being more honest than today's crop of coaches!

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

You need to do some reading on Woody then Dennis. You're talking about a man who turned himself in to the NCAA for rules violations. His crime? Giving $5 to players so they could get a good meal. When he was told he couldn't do that, he and his wife started cooking large dinners at home and having the players come over to their house. The man was a stark raving lunatic on the sidelines but he did not cheat.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
      You need to do some reading on Woody then Dennis. You're talking about a man who turned himself in to the NCAA for rules violations. His crime? Giving $5 to players so they could get a good meal. When he was told he couldn't do that, he and his wife started cooking large dinners at home and having the players come over to their house. The man was a stark raving lunatic on the sidelines but he did not cheat.
      Bob, I am sure you are telling a true story, but that isn't the only side to Mr. Hayes either. The man was no saint. His tackling of the Clemson player that got him fired was not just a penalty, as a coach taking an active role in the play of a game it was indeed cheating.

How about another story? I was working in Marion and went to the OSU campus for a lacrosse game. They were playing Johns Hopkins University. Woody had his players on one of two practice fields. Both of which were lined for football, but the one he was on was the only one lined for lacrosse.

After football practice had delayed the scheduled start of the lacrosse game for at least 30 minutes the coach of that OSU team approached Woody and asked him if he could move.

I was standing 10-15 feet away from the coaches and Woody's reply was, give or take no more than one word and none of the profanity, "I am the athletic program at this mother ing university and I will move when I am fing good and ready."

That lack of respect for other staff and athletes far outweighs what he may have done for his boys in my mind. You may choose to disagree, but my mind is made up based on what I witnessed.

Regards,
      Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
        Bob, I am sure you are telling a true story, but that isn't the only side to Mr. Hayes either. The man was no saint. His tackling of the Clemson player that got him fired was not just a penalty, as a coach taking an active role in the play of a game it was indeed cheating.

How about another story? I was working in Marion and went to the OSU campus for a lacrosse game. They were playing Johns Hopkins University. Woody had his players on one of two practice fields. Both of which were lined for football, but the one he was on was the only one lined for lacrosse.

After football practice had delayed the scheduled start of the lacrosse game for at least 30 minutes the coach of that OSU team approached Woody and asked him if he could move.

I was standing 10-15 feet away from the coaches and Woody's reply was, give or take no more than one word and none of the profanity, "I am the athletic program at this mother ing university and I will move when I am fing good and ready."

That lack of respect for other staff and athletes far outweighs what he may have done for his boys in my mind. You may choose to disagree, but my mind is made up based on what I witnessed.

Regards,
        Dennis
        We'll have to disagree. I said he was a madman on the sidelines and he paid hefty fines for it. As for tackling the Clemson player, it didn't happen that way. The play was over, Charlie Baumann had already been tackled and got up and waved the ball at the OSU sideline. Woody then punched him in the neck. He was fired the next day. So that was not cheating. It was an old man losing control of his temper and getting fired for it. It should have happened a few years before when he attacked the down marker at Michigan but OSU gave him another chance.

And I merely pointed out that he would be rightly appalled at the way college football is now run solely for the money. He did not let the boosters pay his players. Or anybody else. And I'd stack his player graduation rate up against any OSU coach before or since. Against any Div I coach in the country for that matter. The man was no saint but cheating the way the article alludes to today was not in his nature.

Comment

Though the article deals with football I believe hoops are worse! Early securing of agents, and cash payments to players! Sweet Jesus, I thought they were pure as the driven snow!

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2EMQ7Jk3V

I did have to roll up my cuffs and put on tall rubber boots when he alluded to Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant being more honest than today's crop of coaches!

Regards,
          Dennis

Minor recruiting violations I can overlook, but there are some coaches who cross that ethical line blatantly.

Gary Barnett is a good example when he got busted using drugs, alcohol and sex to entice recruits. Jerry Leavitt hit a player and then interfered with the investigation by telling witnesses to change their story.

And like you said...Woody Hayes ain't no saint, he punched Clemson’s Charlie Bauman in the throat and hit his own player Ken Fritz, when he tried to intervene. He even got nasty with the referee.
          IMO...Tattoo-Gate was silly.
          "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
            Minor recruiting violations I can overlook, but there are some coaches who cross that ethical line blatantly.
            I agree with your statement regarding some coaches who know the rules and still CHOOSE to ignore them. Having to take the recruiting test yearly, I know first hand they ask plenty of questions regarding recruiting and what can and cannot be done. They have relaxed the rules regarding contacting SA's over the past year. The major rules that get broken are very well known and should a coach still break them then I have no sympathy for their punishment.
            "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
            -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

I agree. But I am curious to see how the organization can see the difference with a coach giving a player $5 to buy food vs the coach feeding the player the same $5 worth of food. Seems to me that inviting the players over is even a greater effort.
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

If these coaches really cared about their "boys" then how come they never stand up for them when the NCAA starts causing trouble. The NCAA is bad but these coaches could go to Indianapolis and demand that if there are not changes there will be no BCS Bowls or March Madness. They will never do that because they are more worried about their careers and bank accounts.
                “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                  I agree. But I am curious to see how the organization can see the difference with a coach giving a player $5 to buy food vs the coach feeding the player the same $5 worth of food. Seems to me that inviting the players over is even a greater effort.
                  When does the NCAA make any sense? I guess it was a matter of not giving the player cash. The player could've used it for other things rather than buying food. But the coach cooking for and feeding the players out of his own pocket isn't against the rules.

I'm of the opinion that the NCAA needs to redo their rulebook. Some of the things players get in trouble for is ridiculous. There was a player a few years ago who got in trouble for posing for a calender that was being sold. It didn't matter that the money went to charity, the player's likeness wasn't allowed to be used to make money.

And another point about how money is screwing up college football is the astronomical salaries these coaches are getting. Woody Hayes in his last year at OSU made $43,000 which was a decent salary in 1978 but it wasn't anywhere near what these guys are making today even if it's adjusted for inflation. Urban Meyer makes $4,000,000 base salary.

Comment

I disagree on changing the NCAA as well Bob, at least if that is all we are going to change. The real problem is in the mirrors of some persons. They would be the fans, alumni and boosters who feed the monstrous sham that "amateur" football has become. Coaches, college presidents and the media contribute as well, but they are merely reacting to the desires of the first named folks.

All the issues stem from the over-inflated desire of some to win at all costs for good old (insert name of school). I do not see any real solution until the real root of the problem is addressed.

Regards,
                    Dennis

Comment

the NCAA is an organization
                      designed to maximize the profit of slave labor disguised as amateur athletics
                      Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.

Comment

Sounds like the Ducks will be the next team to get slapped with penalties. Their case will be decided early next year.

Report: UO deal is out
                        Sources tell Yahoo Sports that the NCAA has rejected Oregon’s attempt to settle possible recruiting violations

By Rob Moseley
                        The Register-Guard
                        Published: December 20, 2012 12:00AM, Midnight, Dec 20
                        http://www.registerguard.com/web/new...lyles.html.csp
                        "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

The fact that Oregon may be in trouble is not shocking at all. They got too good too fast and with Phil Knight up there throwing money around like it was candy, abuses were bound to take place.

Comment

The fact that Oregon may be in trouble is not shocking at all. They got too good too fast and with Phil Knight up there throwing money around like it was candy, abuses were bound to take place.
                            Too good too fast............always a red flag in my opinion!

Found this in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on 'roids in college athletics. I was amazed to see that there is NO organizational policy on them. Letting schools police their own is having the fox guard the hen house!

http://triblive.com/sports/college/n...#axzz2FxeskphK

Regards,
                            Dennis
                            Last edited by D1J1; 24 Dec 12, 05:52. Reason: Add text and link

Comment

Too good too fast............always a red flag in my opinion!

Regards,
                              Dennis
                              Yep. It should be a somewhat slower process going from doormat to contender. Kansas State along with Northwestern seems to have done it the right way. A gradual climb to respectability. Snyder was 1-10 in his first season and it was a few years before they became serious contenders in the Big 8. (later Big 12) Northwestern was the same way, good coach came in and started building from the ground up and after a few years, Northwestern is going to lower tier bowl games with an occasional shot at the Rose Bowl

Oregon on the other hand had some decent teams under Rich Brooks and Mike Bellotti but nothing like what they've been doing with Chip Kelly. All of the sudden they're in the national title hunt every year and attracting talent that previously they had no chance of getting, not in the numbers they're getting now anyway. Kelly's a good coach and that has something to do with it I'm sure but he's not that good. I smell Nike money in the mix.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X