Penn State Football Players Are Not Heroes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State Football Players Are Not Heroes

I couldn't stomach ESPN's coverage of the Penn State - Navy game Saturday. Constant talk about how the Penn State football team are heroes for sticking it out and staying at PSU and this while playing Navy who are true heroes. I know that the players themselves are not guilty of the crimes but they are not heroes.
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

I wouldn't call them heroes, I would call them loyal. The players did nothing wrong, I don't hold anything against them. It's the coaches and school administrators who did wrong by those kids. But I agree, it was a bit much during the game to make them out as heroes.
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
      I wouldn't call them heroes, I would call them loyal. The players did nothing wrong, I don't hold anything against them. It's the coaches and school administrators who did wrong by those kids. But I agree, it was a bit much during the game to make them out as heroes.
      Precisely Perse! Very well said! Loyal is the word that should be used. The players are not being punished because they are still playing, and that is as it should be.

Regards,
      Dennis
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
        I couldn't stomach ESPN's coverage of the Penn State - Navy game Saturday. Constant talk about how the Penn State football team are heroes for sticking it out and staying at PSU and this while playing Navy who are true heroes. I know that the players themselves are not guilty of the crimes but they are not heroes.
        How are members of the Navy team heroes. Other than going to school and playing football what have they done heroic? NADA!

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          How are members of the Navy team heroes. Other than going to school and playing football what have they done heroic? NADA!
          Even at that, they are playing because it gets them a free education. Not heroes, yes loyal but do to a free ride scholarship.
          "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
          - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Any ROTC on the Penn team?
            Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
            Hyperwar, Whats New
            World War II Resources
            The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
              Even at that, they are playing because it gets them a free education. Not heroes, yes loyal but do to a free ride scholarship.
              Hero may be to strong of a word but they are going to be sacrificing the next couple of years of there life to serve their country.
              “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
              ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                Beat the crap out of Army the last 10 years?

Wait...you're right.

Nothing heroic about beating Army.
                Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skiplc View Post
                  Beat the crap out of Army the last 10 years?

Wait...you're right.

Nothing heroic about beating Army.
                  Mutter, grumble...schmuck!...mutter, grumble.

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                    Mutter, grumble...schmuck!...mutter, grumble.
                    Just couldn't help myself...
                    Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                      Hero may be to strong of a word but they are going to be sacrificing the next couple of years of there life to serve their country.
                      Is that a sacrifice? I found it to be an honor and didn't get four years school from a top Uni. Looks like we have a different pov. I really have no other comment on the subject.

Comment

Even worse is hearing players, coaches and broadcasters alluding to athletes as warriors or games as wars or battles.

That makes me want to

Regards,
                        Dennis
                        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                          Any ROTC on the Penn team?
                          As a matter of fact. there is an active duty Navy enlisted man on the roster named P J Byers. The guy's story is really interesting. Anybody that volunteers to dive and ultimately disposes of bombs and mines qualifies as a hero in my book.

http://www.ydr.com/psu/ci_21536493/n...ice-above-self
                          Last edited by 2nd Rangers; 20 Sep 12, 11:25.
                          God Save The Republic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X