Dodgers/Red Sox Blockbuster Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgers/Red Sox Blockbuster Trade

To me...it appears Boston got the short end of the stick on this trade. The Dodgers gave Boston mediocre to average players and even the prospects are questionable.
    The only thing of value Boston got was $$$.

BOSTON - The Los Angeles Dodgers acquired first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, pitcher Josh Beckett and outfielder Carl Crawford from Boston on Saturday, hoping to boost their playoff hopes by taking on the underperforming and high-priced stars who failed to thrive in a fractious Red Sox clubhouse. Boston also sent infielder Nick Punto and about $11 million in cash to the Dodgers in the nine-player trade that was the biggest in Los Angeles' history. The Red Sox acquired first baseman James Loney, pitcher Allen Webster, infielder Ivan DeJesus Jr. and two players to be named.

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

One of the prospects (James Sand) is the real deal, but yeah Boston was dropping salary. Simply flabbergasted the trade went through. Never ever seen anything like it after the waiver trade deadline has passed.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Actually, I was wrong in my OP. Boston didn't even get $$$ out of this deal. In addition to giving up some of their best guys, they had to hand over $11 million!

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

James Sands is one of the 2 players to be named later?

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
          James Sands is one of the 2 players to be named later?
          He is according to Rotoworld. I suspect they have to wait till the end of the year so he doesn't have to go through waivers. And you have to look at the money over the lifetime of the contracts. $11M is actually peanuts compared to the contract values.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
            He is according to Rotoworld. I suspect they have to wait till the end of the year so he doesn't have to go through waivers. And you have to look at the money over the lifetime of the contracts. $11M is actually peanuts compared to the contract values.
            Even with James Sands involved, it was still a lopsided trade. I know how Boston feels about dead weight on the team. The Giants bit the bullet with Zito and rode out his contract...just when he is going to be a free agent, he suddenly he is pitching better. Never fails. Even with Zito doing better, the Giants can't wait to see him to the door.

I guarantee you, if this trade was done in fantasy world, it would have been vetoed! ....

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post

I guarantee you, if this trade was done in fantasy world, it would have been vetoed! ....
              Depends on the type of rotoleague. A redraft every year league; yup...vetoed in a heartbeat. Continuous league with salaries, salary caps and expiring contracts...maybe/maybe not. It would raise a lot of eyebrows though.

Comment

Ellsbury has been put on/thru waivers also .

That shocks me somewhat.
                SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

99% of the people in Boston, including me, think the trade is great. Addition by Subtraction. Now they can start rebuilding again. The operation has to be broken down to be built up.

Comment

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
                    99% of the people in Boston, including me, think the trade is great. Addition by Subtraction. Now they can start rebuilding again. The operation has to be broken down to be built up.
                    I agree. The Sox will be a contender again by the start of the 2014 season. Until then, The Yankees will beat back the Birds and Rays. This division is the best in baseball bar none.

Why did the Pirates trade this Ciriaco guy ? Is he for real or a Shane Spenser clone? Time will tell.
                    God Save The Republic.

Comment

Both teams are sharks if you ask me. I don't like either of them. At the moment, I don't like the Cardinals either. I am about 100% Cubs.
                      This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post

If the fans in Boston approve of the trades....then best of luck to your rebuilding efforts.

I root on the Red Sox cuz someone I know is a big time Yankees fan and it amuses me when his beloved Yankees lose...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X