Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Critica Coach: Should College Basketball Players Be Paid?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critica Coach: Should College Basketball Players Be Paid?

An interesting article about college basketball players and if they should be paid.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...layers-be-paid
    Last edited by Checkertail20; 20 Aug 12, 15:25.
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

I have bounced back and forth on this, but believe I shall remain a no. Paying makes the real problem worse.

I would much rather see the empahsis put on having true student-athletes rather than athletes-masquerading-as-students. That might force the NBA and NFL to set up their own minor leagues and give the kids a choice.

The other thing I am in favor of is allowing the kids to switch schools as easily as the coaches can duck contracts. A case of what is good for the goose there.

The revenue sports are a flipping cesspool!

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

No in my opinion. Their 'pay' is that god-awful amount it cost for a college
      degree these days. They should use it.
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Nope, they shouldn't be getting a salary. Their tuition, room and board are their salary.

Comment

I don't think student-athletes should be paid a salary however they should be allowed to get paid for doing commercials, jersey sales and public appearences.
          “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
          ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
            I don't think student-athletes should be paid a salary however they should be allowed to get paid for doing commercials, jersey sales and public appearences.
            That isn't play for pay, but do you regulate it? What is the ability of an academic scholarship kid to market something he/she invents in a schools chemistry lab, etc? I think they would have to be the same or it is an easy win in a civil action.

Regards,
            Dennis
            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

College athletes are already spoiled, over-privileged douche nozzles.
              "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

I'd say no. If they want to get paid let them turn pro if they can. A full ride scholarship to many of these schools is plenty of compensation as is. It is supposed to be about academics anyhow.

Comment

Yet think about the practical side of things. Thomas Robinson sole man of the house and provider had a very poor family who almost couldn't feed themselves and a very dilipidated house. Basketball took up his time 24/7 so he couldn't get a job to help. His decision to go pro after his junior year was to help his family. I believe they should be paid a small wage not to much though,
                  First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                    Yet think about the practical side of things. Thomas Robinson sole man of the house and provider had a very poor family who almost couldn't feed themselves and a very dilipidated house. Basketball took up his time 24/7 so he couldn't get a job to help. His decision to go pro after his junior year was to help his family. I believe they should be paid a small wage not to much though,
                    I have to work my way through college. Let the spoiled-ass ball handlers get jobs too.
                    "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                      I have to work my way through college. Let the spoiled-ass ball handlers get jobs too.
                      He CAN'T get a JOB! He has to comitt almost all his free time towards basketball and the rest towards his classes. He can't really have any job even closely related to someone who is alumni or anything or he could be cut. So virtually he has no time to work and nowhere to work if he did...

Comment

He CAN'T get a JOB! He has to comitt almost all his free time towards basketball and the rest towards his classes. He can't really have any job even closely related to someone who is alumni or anything or he could be cut. So virtually he has no time to work and nowhere to work if he did...
                        I play two sports, have a wife and two kids, and still have to work. And my degree isn't some jock cakewalk.

I have zero sympathy.

BoRG

Comment

Jock cakewalk? I have no sympathy for you. You demean other people to help your ego and make yourself feel better.

Comment

Jock cakewalk? I have no sympathy for you. You demean other people to help your ego and make yourself feel better.
                            How can you say that? You don't even know me.

I'm not lucky enough to play money-sports. Just imagine the fat envelopes of cash these ball handlers get every season, under the table. Disgusting.

And I'm not taking some jock-oriented general physical ed program, I actually have to study.

The ball sports are known for their illicit pay schemes and their ill-mannered athletes. And their education program scams. Why reward scumbags?

BoRG

Comment

You are an obviously biased and discrimnatory hypocrite. You accuse and generalize all athletes and insult them ver the internet. Gosh you are so hard. Would you insult the honest hardworking athletes? Christian Moody played varsity basketball for KU. He didn't go pro but became a doctor. Were his classes so much easier? Don't generalize and stereotype people if you're clueless.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X