X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palmeiro says Clemens and Bonds should be in Hall of Fame

I wonder why he thinks that.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/...long-hall-fame
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

Give 'em their own wing for heaven's sake! Complete with separate concessions.

The only thing for sale there....................why, JUICE of course!

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Well if Bonds and Clemens are not eligible, should then anyone that was caught for using spit, vaseline, seam-cutting, pint tar, corked bat be tossed out also?
      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
        Well if Bonds and Clemens are not eligible, should then anyone that was caught for using spit, vaseline, seam-cutting, pint tar, corked bat be tossed out also?
        Not all the pitchers who doctored the ball. After all the spitball was legal to a point in time.

Consider that the "unwritten" rules of baseball do just wink at the things you mention. You'd just about empty the place if you removed all the fellows who used greenies!

If we tossed out all the players who cheated you could run the HOF in an outhouse!

Regards,
        Dennis

Comment

Nobody said they were ineligible. Clemens isn't eligible until after September of this year. Same thing with Bonds. Both played until Sept. 2007 and baseball has a 5-year rule from time of retirement to HOF eligibility. They'll be on the ballot at the end of the year.

That being said, I doubt they'll get voted in. McGuire hasn't been. It's up to the voters, and right now they aren't voting in juicers. Proven or otherwise.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
            Nobody said they were ineligible. Clemens isn't eligible until after September of this year. Same thing with Bonds. Both played until Sept. 2007 and baseball has a 5-year rule from time of retirement to HOF eligibility. They'll be on the ballot at the end of the year.

That being said, I doubt they'll get voted in. McGuire hasn't been. It's up to the voters, and right now they aren't voting in juicers. Proven or otherwise.
            Exactomundo. Most of the Baseball writers that have HoF votes will not vote for any suspected ped user.

I'd vote for them if I had a vote. They may have cheated but it was practically condoned by MLB until the media and political outcry became too much for them to ignore.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
              Exactomundo. Most of the Baseball writers that have HoF votes will not vote for any suspected ped user.
              By not being eligible, I meant in the minds of the voters. Where were their outcry when the players were getting bigger and their careers lasting longer? They were on the worship bandwagon just like the fans whom were also their audience. They of all people follow these players closely enough to see the physical transformation and the results in stats. The writers made their careers turning a blind eye and did their part to add praises and adulations to the players in question. Now when those same players that they helped bring into the spotlight of glory are outed, they are on a self-righteous crusade not to vote for them?

I'd vote for them if I had a vote. They may have cheated but it was practically condoned by MLB until the media and political outcry became too much for them to ignore.
              There were cheaters since Abner Doubleday. No amount of spit could make a bad pitcher a great one. No amount of steroids can make a klutz into a great athlete. You can't replace instinct, timing, discipline, hard work, etc. How many players that also juiced never got caught because they were not so good and thus coasted along beneath the radar?

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

There were cheaters since Abner Doubleday. No amount of spit could make a bad pitcher a great one. No amount of steroids can make a klutz into a great athlete. You can't replace instinct, timing, discipline, hard work, etc. How many players that also juiced never got caught because they were not so good and thus coasted along beneath the radar?
                True, but that "little something extra" whether it is a greenie, some juice, pine tar or an emory board might just make the difference between simply very good and truly great enough to make the HOF.

To the writers there is cheating, and then there is cheating. I think Bonds and Clemens are the saddest cases. Both were certain Hall of Fame material without resorting to steroids, but for whatever ego driven reason chose that path IMO.

Regards,
                Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                  Give 'em their own wing for heaven's sake! Complete with separate concessions.

The only thing for sale there....................why, JUICE of course!

Regards,
                  Dennis
                  'Clear' JUICE no less .
                  SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                    True, but that "little something extra" whether it is a greenie, some juice, pine tar or an emory board might just make the difference between simply very good and truly great enough to make the HOF.
                    Then you agree. A cheater is a cheater.

To the writers there is cheating, and then there is cheating.
                    Then the writers all full of it. They declared themselves the judge and executioner after the players were hung. Before that they looked the other way.

I think Bonds and Clemens are the saddest cases. Both were certain Hall of Fame material without resorting to steroids, but for whatever ego driven reason chose that path IMO.
                    The love of the sport. Why is that so hard to grasp? They were set for life. Why did they work so hard to recover from injury, work long hours at strenuous workouts? The writers loved them then, the fans loved them. Now all out a sudden they are bad guys?

If you follow any sort of news, even athletes in high school have been busted for steroids. Go ahead and rule them all in eligible for any trophy in the future, shall we?

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

The writers never loved Bonds.
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                        The writers never loved Bonds.
                        And with good reason. With or without the steroids he is THE poster boy for entitlement because I am a star athlete. El pricko numero uno!!!!

Regards,
                        Dennis

Comment

Then you agree. A cheater is a cheater.
                          Yes, but there are still nuances. What about sign stealing, or the pitcher that consistently gets away with a pickoff move that he knows is a balk. Both of those may be just the little edge someone needs to make the HOF.

I feel a bit hypocritical in favoring NOT admitting the steroid gang while listening to people singing the praises of the greenie brigade. If we're going to ban current "cheaters" for using a substance that was not specifically declared illegal, shouldn't we revisit some other situations?

That would include the Babe. I mean, being a drunk, a glutton and a whoremonger sure as hell seems to be just a slight variation of that pesky little character clause. How about Ty Cobb as a horrendous racist, along with I am sure many others? Where do you want to draw the line?

Then the writers all full of it. They declared themselves the judge and executioner after the players were hung. Before that they looked the other way.
                          BINGO!!!!!! This may be the root of the problem. The two co-dependent groups, players and media both making a mockery of the process in their own ways.

The love of the sport. Why is that so hard to grasp?
                          It is hard to grasp because it may not be correct. There is an equal chance that it is the love of money, fame, first class living or super-hot mistresses. Look how many players lose it when their careers are over and they aren't in the limelight any longer.

I am sure there are players who love the game. I have heard too many other say they are pros at whatever game because that is where the money is to begin to think it is anywhere close to a universal feeling.

Best regards and thanks for the debate on an interesting and complex subject,

Dennis
                          Last edited by D1J1; 15 Aug 12, 17:53.

Comment

Of course we can all sit back and wait and see if it is like for wrestlers... when they start dropping like flies in their later years. That 'stuff' will mess you up... both physically and mentally. They are in danger, and their family/friends around them are too.
                            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

IF those idiots get in,I still say let in Rose and Jackson.Just my dream I reckon. The only reason the HOF won't let Keith Hernandez in is cause of the cocaine. Well,he quit it,was still a damn good player. He didn't use it for cheating as the juicers. He was a hell of a player. Some of this is just as sickening as Brett and Schmidt trying to keep Ron Santo from the HOF.

And a question. I don't remember exactly when he retired,but when will Greg Maddux be on the ballot?

I say-if you banned Rose,Jackson and the Black Sox-ban the juicers too!
                              This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X