Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gencallan
    replied
    Bennie Owen, Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops, Oklahoma, the football division 1 school to have four coaches with 100= wins in their careers.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Any list of great coaches has to include Larry Kehres, head football coach at Mount Union College.

317-24-3 overall with 10 National Championships. (and played for it 15 times) 22 conference titles including the last 20 in a row.

Also has the 2 longest winning streaks in NCAA history for football, all divisions. 55 and 54 in a row.

He hasn't lost more than 1 game in a season since 1994. And that loss, when it happens, is in the playoffs. Only 1 regular season loss since 1994.

His record is really quite astounding.

He's had plenty of offers to go elsewhere but for some reason he's never seriously considered leaving Mount Union.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
    Brooks wouldn't have made my list to start with.

While there was no Gretzky on that Olympic team, there was plenty of talent: Neil Broten, Dave Christian, Mark Pavelich and Ken Morrow all come immediately to mind.
    I can't say that any of those fellows enjoyed stellar NHL careers. Indeed, as an NHL coach, Brooks was only so-so -- but he did coach the Rangers, so he can be forgiven his mediocrity.

I think that Brooks managed to pull his team together through the rough patches, while "super-coach" Viktor Tikhanov tore his team apart. Brooks was a real pain-in-the-ass, to be sure, but he could coach without his ego. Tikhanov didn't. When his guys needed his confidence, he broke them down.
    Last edited by slick_miester; 13 Aug 12, 19:31.

Leave a comment:

• The Ibis
    replied
    Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
    No Marc, I cannot. But my original thought seems to be the rule of thumb. Herb is one of the exceptions.

Regards,
    Dennis
    Brooks wouldn't have made my list to start with.

While there was no Gretzky on that Olympic team, there was plenty of talent: Neil Broten, Dave Christian, Mark Pavelich and Ken Morrow all come immediately to mind. Of course, what won the US the gold was having the hot goalie - something that is pretty hard to give Brooks credit for (just as it is for any hockey coach; having a hot goalie is usually a matter of luck and timing). Looking back, its hard to think the 1980 Olympics was anything but a fluke. If they played that game 10 times, the Soviets would have won 9 of them. It just so happened that the one-off was for the right to play for the gold.

Brooks was a fine collegiate coach and won a few NCAA championships at Minnesota. But there were better collegiate coaches. Brooks was no Murray Armstrong nor Badger Bob Johnson.

Leave a comment:

• D1J1
    replied
    No Marc, I cannot. But my original thought seems to be the rule of thumb. Herb is one of the exceptions.

Regards,
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
    One thing for sure across the board........ain't nobody on the great coaches list that didn't have great players.
    Can you really say that about Herb Brooks and his 1980 US hockey team?

Leave a comment:

• D1J1
    replied
    One thing for sure across the board........ain't nobody on the great coaches list that didn't have great players.

Perhaps that is the real test. Who could get the performers to rise to the highest level. I do not know if there is any way to really assess that in an objective manner.

Regards,
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Scotty Bowman, Al Arbor, Vince Lombardi, Jon Wooden, Red Holzman, Dan Gable, Weeb Ewbank, Anatoli Tarasov, Herb Brooks, Franz Beckenbauer, Herbert Chapman, Oscar Tabárez, Alberto Suppici: one way or another, they were all giants.

For baseball, at least, one name stands head-and-shoulders above the rest: John McGraw. Everything since has been an imitation.

Leave a comment:

• D1J1
    replied
    I think in general, but at least in the NFL, you cannot leave Charles Henry "Chuck" Noll and Paul Brown off the list.

Basketball? In the NBA why bother, at least in recent history? The primary job of most coaches is to make sure the boys receive their room service orders. It is a players league in more ways than one. But, John Wooden is there from the NCAA.

So many great baseball managers it is hard to pick less than half a dozen.

I apologize for omitting the other fooball, but I am ignorant beyond belief about the sport.

Regards,
    Dennis
    Last edited by D1J1; 13 Aug 12, 06:17.

Leave a comment:

• TTownLarry
    replied
    Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
    What about Bobby Knight while he was at Tech?
    While Bobby Knight was one of the great basketball coaches, his tenure at Texas Tech was not much to brag about.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Boxing coach Cus D'amoto would whup all these ball-handling fools.

Leave a comment:

• Sgt. Rock
    replied
    Originally posted by TTownLarry View Post
    Mike Leach
    What about Bobby Knight while he was at Tech?

Leave a comment:

• TTownLarry
    replied
    Tom Landry
    Mike Leach

Leave a comment:

• Sgt. Rock
    replied
    Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
    I think what hurt Weaver's legacy is losing 3 out of 4 World Series.
    He blew that 3-1 lead to the "We Are Family" Pirates in 1979 that probably hurt him the most. I liked Weaver though and thought he did a great job! I remember a cool old time computer baseball game called Earl Weaver Baseball which is still one of my all time favorite computer games.

Leave a comment:

• Checkertail20
    replied
    Originally posted by Slug View Post
    Earl Weaver, Baltimore Orioles.
    Bum Phillips, Houston Oilers, cool name, just seemed like a great guy.
    Bum Phillips was one of a kind and it is too bad we don't have coaches like him anymore.

Earl Weaver was another great one. I read his book Weaver on Strategy and the man definately knew baseball. I think what hurt Weaver's legacy is losing 3 out of 4 World Series.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X