Greatest Coaches of All Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Coaches of All Time?

Every time a list comes out listing the greatest coaches of all time the coaches come from NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAA football and NCAA basketball. It is very hard to take this list seriously when most of the sports are not even represented. For instance Dean Smith is often on the list yet you could say that he isn't even the best coach at North Carolina. Anson Dorrance won 20 National Championships in women's soccer and Karen Shelton won 6 National Championships while Dean Smith won only 2. John Wooden is usually ranked #1 and has 10 National Championships but you could say he was not even the best college coach in Southern California in the 60's and 70's. Rod Dedeaux won 11 National Championships and went up against tougher competion and was dominant for a much longer period of time.

My question to you is who are truly the best coaches in sports?
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

I don't understand your thread. Why are you comparing apples and oranges? How are you comparing a basketball coach to a soccer coach or a baseball coach? If you want to somehow come up with a way to decide on some immeasurable thing like 'mean/raw coaching ability' you certainly can't use numbers of national championships as a be all end all measuring stick. It is seriously apples and oranges.
    Кто там?
    Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
    Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

I am not sure why you think its apples and oranges. Coaches in basketball, soccer, football, baseball, hockey, lacrosse and all sports have the same goal and that is to win competions by training, motivating and coming up with a strategy to win a competition. The rules may be a little different but scoring more points, runs, goals or whatever you want to call it is the common denominator among all coaches. I do agree that championships are not the be all end all of telling how great a coach is.
      “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
      ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Bobby Bowden
        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Brian Clough.
          Alex Ferguson.

I believe a basketball coach called Phil Jackson is held in very high regard by coaches inside and outside the game. I have read his book sacred hoops which is very interesting...
          Last edited by copenhagen; 09 Aug 12, 19:08.

Comment

Alex???
            If you say so.
            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If they name the trophy after you, that says something. Vince Lombardi.
              "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
              And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

Bear Bryant

John Wooden

John
                The most visable part of a persons education is their parents example !

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
                It's truly a simple concept.
                Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!

Comment

Earl Weaver, Baltimore Orioles.
                  Bum Phillips, Houston Oilers, cool name, just seemed like a great guy.

"Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post

Props for the Bum Phillips reference!
                    Here's Houston Oilers number one song.

As far as coaches I've been impressed with Casey Stengel baseball, Bill Walsh football, and Red Auerbach for basketball. Those are my pro choices.

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                      Alex???
                      If you say so.
                      Yeah, he's been an abject failure

Comment

Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                          Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley of course.
                          Good call..

I think Cloughs achievement with a side like Forest is the best though. In my opinion anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
                            Bum Phillips was one of a kind and it is too bad we don't have coaches like him anymore.

Earl Weaver was another great one. I read his book Weaver on Strategy and the man definately knew baseball. I think what hurt Weaver's legacy is losing 3 out of 4 World Series.
                            ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                              I think what hurt Weaver's legacy is losing 3 out of 4 World Series.
                              He blew that 3-1 lead to the "We Are Family" Pirates in 1979 that probably hurt him the most. I liked Weaver though and thought he did a great job! I remember a cool old time computer baseball game called Earl Weaver Baseball which is still one of my all time favorite computer games.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X