Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portsmouth may cease to exist as football team.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portsmouth may cease to exist as football team.

This weekend Portsmouth may cease to exist as a football club. A club that four years ago won the FA Cup and was in the premiership. I have mixed feelings, I feel sorry for the fans of a club that has had a long and proud history. However the fact is the present state of running football clubs is mad, hugh sums are spend on wages of players which can not be afforded. A fifth of all Football league team are in trouble as costs get out of control. Only when clubs go out of buisness will those who run football grasp the same facts of life that other buisness operate by.
    War is less costly than servitude

I don't know enough about football, but the problem would probably apply to any sport (though I think football is by some degree the richest sport in the world), in that, money forcing out more and more teams is unhealthy for the game - it means the money within the game gets picked up by ever fewer teams, each one richer and richer, forcing the pooerer out of sport, no?
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
      I don't know enough about football, but the problem would probably apply to any sport (though I think football is by some degree the richest sport in the world), in that, money forcing out more and more teams is unhealthy for the game - it means the money within the game gets picked up by ever fewer teams, each one richer and richer, forcing the pooerer out of sport, no?
      Has nothing to do with sport, it's the economic principle at work in environment where the product cannot be altered so, just waiting for clever cloggs to offer discount matches .

Ed.
      The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Isn't there more than one in financial straits?
        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Don't worry, Southampton can be the new Portsmouth.

Paul
          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
          All human ills he can subdue,
          Or with a bauble or medal
          Can win mans heart for you;
          And many a blessing know to stew
          To make a megloamaniac bright;
          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Isn't Southhampton a team this year in the Premier League.
            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
              Isn't Southhampton a team this year in the Premier League.
              Yes they are, so It will be a bonus for all those 'EX' Pompey fans to go and see premier league action.

Paul
              Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 10 Aug 12, 01:06.
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Кто там?
                Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

I've been watching this scenario unfold with great interest to see how, should the worst come to the worst, the authoritise handle the situation and compare and contrast with the months long farce we had to endure up here when Rangers finally imploded owing debts of up to 135million, most of it to the tax man.

The only saving grace for us was that no one gives a damn about the Scottish leagues so no one was watching while Scottish Football very nearly tore itself apart amid accusations of financial doping, massive tax avoidance, severe mismanagement by the club, unprecadented supporter backlash against attempts to allow the club (now in liquidation) to be replaces by a zombie club straight into the top tier, threats of "civil disturbance" should the new club have to start in the bottom tier (where they have been placed), rabble rousing on a grand scale, and complete and utter chaos at the top of the SFA, SPL and SFL.

I hope the supporters trust manage to salvage the club but a 2p in the pound offer to creditors must surely raise some questions about financial oversight?

Comment

What are they gonna do of Pompey John?

Comment

I think he's listed as a heritable asset in the CVA

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X