Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things not to do when calling a sportsradio talk show.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a sports show, but a scheduled interview on a Japanese news radio program. Don't do what I did.

Producer: "Okay Philip. We'll get back to you in about five minutes. Just stand by."

Philip puts down the phone and waits, continuing to listen to the radio. The reporter concludes her introductory interview and says:

"Okay, now we'll go to Philip to hear his reasons. Philip, what made you start this project?"

Philip stares wide-eyed in terror at the telephone.........nothing happens..... The reporter continues:

"Philip?....Philip?....Mr Gibson?....Mr. Gibson?....Philip?....Are you there?

So embarrassing! I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to hang up. And I'd told all my students about the upcoming interview asking them to be sure to catch it.

Philip
    Last edited by PhilipLaos; 10 Jul 12, 20:46.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

The things TO DO can't really be taught, if you want to become a "celebrity caller" like "Frank from Gloucester." That ability is God-given. As They say now, 'take a listen.'

http://audio.weei.com/a/5124419/fran...gloucester.htm

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/local...rom-Gloucester

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/sport...hakeup-at-WEEI

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/sport...-radio-station
      Last edited by lakechampainer; 12 Jul 12, 21:27.

Comment

When you're calling in for your weekly chat that is required by your contract, don't threaten to "punch the host right in the mouth", even if he asks you if "you have checked out."

http://d24edc7kaf4agn.cloudfront.net...audio.weei.com
        Last edited by lakechampainer; 11 Sep 12, 16:30.

Comment

Last night I was listening to a musical radio show, and this one caller says, "You fat f--k, I hope you have a heart attack!"
          I've heard him say other few other choice words. He's sick.
          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I love it when the people call in and you can hear the reverb from their own radio. Like listening to them twice

Comment

Show off your expertise on critiquing professional athletes and coaches by pointing out that you know all about that game because you played a little high school (pick sport) in your day!

Demonstrate your ignorance by suggesting things like the following that I heard on a talk show where the subject was the Steelers, though I am sure every team has fans this completely oblivious.

A caller suggested that the team would play better if a certain song were played more frequently during games as it really "fires them up."

Regards,
              Dennis
              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I do enjoy Sports Talk Shows like Dan Patrick, The Herd, Around The Horn, Pardon The Interuption, Dan Lebatard etc, for the daily information they provide, but sometimes it seems the hosts and panel members will let their ego's take priority over their objectiveness. Speaking of credentials, were any of these guys All Americans, All Conference or even First String or just disciplined enought to earn a journalism degree and have excellent writers and reseachers to make them come off on a spit and polish.

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                  Show off your expertise on critiquing professional athletes and coaches by pointing out that you know all about that game because you played a little high school (pick sport) in your day!
                  There are a lot of Sports Talk Show hosts like that and they are usually the worst. The one I heard the other day was a host talking about college football programs putting players with a criminal past on their teams because it gave that team an edge. There was also Greenie from Mike & Mike who said that Cy Young's all time win record shouldn't count because he pitched in a lot more games than today's players.
                  “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                  ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                    There are a lot of Sports Talk Show hosts like that and they are usually the worst. The one I heard the other day was a host talking about college football programs putting players with a criminal past on their teams because it gave that team an edge. There was also Greenie from Mike & Mike who said that Cy Young's all time win record shouldn't count because he pitched in a lot more games than today's players.
                    The thing about using criminals came from a coach in the Notre Dame football program. He said they could use some of those types.

I guess they ran out of altar boys.......or at least they're afraid to get down in a 3 point stance!

Regards,
                    Dennis
                    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Caller calling in on a high-school sports radio show.
                      "Hiya uh-uh Benny," he burps, "You think the Braves will be better next year? Or worse without Chipper Jones?" He burps again and hangs up-or they hung him up.
                      This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X