Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The United Countries of Baseball

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
    Thats because it was invented here, played it a bit, saw it was crap, relegated it to a school game akin to hopscotch, kiss-chase and skipping and moved on to invent games that everyone in the world would like playing and watching.
    We had to be different. This was actually the main issue that the colonists had with mother England. The planter aristocracy could simply not abide by any "base tax" that was historically paid for admission to an organized match, and decided they had had enough. The Boston Red Sox were, in time immemorial, once called the Boston Red Coats whose roster was filled with tory civil servants. This is why everyone hates the Red Sox to this day. True story.
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
      We had to be different. This was actually the main issue that the colonists had with mother England. The planter aristocracy could simply not abide by any "base tax" that was historically paid for admission to an organized match, and decided they had had enough. The Boston Red Sox were, in time immemorial, once called the Boston Red Coats whose roster was filled with tory civil servants. This is why everyone hates the Red Sox to this day. True story.
      And!?!

      I and most of the civilised world don't care about baseball, and who hates who, though you say 'everyone hates the Red Sox' again, as with your 'world champions' soubriquet in baseball and gridiron, you are using hyperbole you are forgetting those who support the Red Sox and the billions on this earth who 'again' don't really care.

      Other sports that the rest of the world don't realy care about are:

      Gridiron: a bastardised cross between Rugby and British bulldog

      Baseball: Rounders by any other name.

      Ice-Hockey: A slippery form of real Hockey

      All three of those sports have a couple common threads running through them, but I can't quite put my finger on them + =

      Paul
      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 06 Apr 12, 19:39.
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
        And!?!


        Ice-Hockey: A slippery form of real Hockey
        Thems fightin words

        Here's what Vladimir Putin had to say about the World's best game:

        "Eastern Europe’s KHL hockey league will challenge the NHL as the world's preeminent competition, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Thursday."

        http://en.rian.ru/sports/20120224/171507964.html

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
          And!?!

          I and most of the civilised world don't care about baseball, and who hates who, though you say 'everyone hates the Red Sox' again, as with your 'world champions' soubriquet in baseball and gridiron, you are using hyperbole you are forgetting those who support the Red Sox and the billions on this earth who 'again' don't really care.

          Other sports that the rest of the world don't realy care about are:

          Gridiron: a bastardised cross between Rugby and British bulldog

          Baseball: Rounders by any other name.

          Ice-Hockey: A slippery form of real Hockey

          All three of those sports have a couple common threads running through them, but I can't quite put my finger on them + =

          Paul
          Indeed they do have much in common my friend. They're all fun to play and to watch.



          Baseball is also great to study.

          Last edited by The Ibis; 06 Apr 12, 20:19.

          Comment


          • #20
            It sure is.
            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

            Comment


            • #21
              Classic song too.
              This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                It sure is.
                The video for "Centerfield" is awesome. Everyone knows Mays's catch on Wertz. But Carl Furillo's catch on Johnny Mize's deep fly (also shown at the 2 minute mark) in Game 5 of the '52 Series is surprisingly overlooked.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Unfortunately in today's times,the great Johnny Mize is also overlooked.
                  This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                    Thems fightin words

                    Here's what Vladimir Putin had to say about the World's best game:

                    "Eastern Europe’s KHL hockey league will challenge the NHL as the world's preeminent competition, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Thursday."

                    http://en.rian.ru/sports/20120224/171507964.html
                    I've got news for you and others on that continent of yours...It isn't the worlds best game! That dear heart is Football (and for all you Americans out there I don't mean gridiron) and the world pre-eminent competition is the World Cup.

                    I'm sure that when the World Cup is held in Russia in 2018, Putin will be mouthing off how football is the greatest sport on earth.

                    Paul
                    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                    All human ills he can subdue,
                    Or with a bauble or medal
                    Can win mans heart for you;
                    And many a blessing know to stew
                    To make a megloamaniac bright;
                    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                    The Pixie is a little shite.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                      Classic song too.
                      We should do a contest to see who can name the most players in the Centerfield video.

                      If anyone wants in, PM me your list. I'll announce a winner in a few days.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                        I've got news for you and others on that continent of yours...It isn't the worlds best game! That dear heart is Football (and for all you Americans out there I don't mean gridiron) and the world pre-eminent competition is the World Cup.
                        Ah, football. It's a great game. I've had the privilege and the honor to play with people from Norway to Germany to Jugoslavia to Italy to Portugal to Brazil to Argentina to Uruguay. Football is a game that I've enjoyed thoroughly, and now I get to watch my son play. It's hard to beat.

                        What perplexes me is why an Englishman should tout football. Englishmen have played football for decades.

                        Unless you're counting the drunken shenanigans at Stamford Bridge as football.



                        Originally posted by Dibble201Bty
                        I and most of the civilised world don't care about baseball
                        Yeah, John Bull: tell us about "civilization."

                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                          Indeed they do have much in common my friend. They're all fun to play and to watch.

                          Baseball is also great to study.
                          So are the sports of Darts, Conkers, Bowling, Golf, Formula1, Snooker etc, but in the world scheme of things , they are all minority sports (including Baseball, Gridiron and 'slippysticks') but at least all those I have mentioned (apart from those in the closed brackets) above have world champions in the true sense.

                          Paul
                          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                          All human ills he can subdue,
                          Or with a bauble or medal
                          Can win mans heart for you;
                          And many a blessing know to stew
                          To make a megloamaniac bright;
                          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                          The Pixie is a little shite.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I'm on a 4 day vacation,that would strain my brain.
                            Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                            We should do a contest to see who can name the most players in the Centerfield video.

                            If anyone wants in, PM me your list. I'll announce a winner in a few days.
                            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                              So are the sports of Darts, Conkers, Bowling, Golf, Formula1, Snooker etc, but in the world scheme of things , they are all minority sports (including Baseball, Gridiron and 'slippysticks') but at least all those I have mentioned (apart from those in the closed brackets) above have world champions in the true sense.

                              Paul
                              You won't bring me down to your level.
                              You won't bring me down to your level.
                              You won't bring me down to your level.
                              You won't bring me down
                              You won't
                              You
                              You
                              YOU!!!

                              Dang it Dibs. You almost got to me.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                                I've got news for you and others on that continent of yours...It isn't the worlds best game! That dear heart is Football (and for all you Americans out there I don't mean gridiron) and the world pre-eminent competition is the World Cup.

                                I'm sure that when the World Cup is held in Russia in 2018, Putin will be mouthing off how football is the greatest sport on earth.

                                Paul
                                Ahh touche, I do have to conceed the World Cup is the most preemitive sport event in the world. Can't wait to see that oh so exciting 1 to 0 final;

                                Ice hockey is more than North American, though. It's the number one sport in Finland and Sweden and some of the former Soviet Union republics. And at least tied with football in Russia.

                                Before the 2018 world cup there is the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia and Putin's on a crusade for that gold medal in hockey, and he plays it himself.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X