Bounties in Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bounties in Sports

The topic is all the rage in the NFL. Like they see it as new! Stories like this, though not getting the press, pop up regularly about individual players being targeted.

But what about other sports? Anyone have a similar theme from soccer or anything else? I can't believe NFL players, not exactly rocket scientists to a large degree, are the only ones smart enough to figure that knocking out a star deserves a bonus and helps one win!

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

As I said in Politics,Jerry Glanville I believe had one every time he played the Cowboys.
    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It amazes me that defensive players believe its okay to injure offensive players but cry about holding everytime an offensive player comes in contact with them.
      “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
      ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
        The topic is all the rage in the NFL. Like they see it as new! Stories like this, though not getting the press, pop up regularly about individual players being targeted.

I can't believe NFL players, not exactly rocket scientists to a large degree, are the only ones smart enough to figure that knocking out a star deserves a bonus and helps one win!
        You are defending this?

I hope they clean house at the Saints, can the head coach and everyone else involved.

What kind of depraved person would find it admirable or humorous that players were paid bonus money for intentionally injuring other players?

Comment

I always remember a little incident involving former (and oft-maligned) Scotland captain Gary McAllister.

At the beginning of one season, players were given a sheet detailing appearance/selection fees, win bonuses, bounty for Qualification to Euro '96 (they did) etc.

McAllister tears his in half without even looking at it, turns to the manager, pinches the dark-blue jersey he's wearing, between finger and thumb and says;

"THIS is the only bonus I care about !"

McAllister had his critics over his ability, but his loyalty was unquestioned.
          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
            You are defending this?

I hope they clean house at the Saints, can the head coach and everyone else involved.

What kind of depraved person would find it admirable or humorous that players were paid bonus money for intentionally injuring other players?
            By no stretch of the imagination am I defending it. But the practice is not new. The threat of litigation seems to have made it more important.

Regards,
            Dennis

Comment

The League has issued its punishments.

Sean Payton was suspended without pay for a full year.

The defensive coordinator, Greg Williams, was suspended immediately and indefinately.

General Manager Mickey Loomis suspended for first 8 games of season.

Saints fined five hundred thousand dollars and they forfeit two 2nd round draft picks.

Judgements against players still pending.

It also seems Brett Farves career was brought to an end as a direct result of the Saints bounty program, as the Saints put a price on his head.

In my opinion Payton should have been fired as coach and banned from the NFL. The dollar fine should have been five million dollars against the Saints at least.

Farve should drag them through civil court.

Comment

The NFL Commisoner had to make an example out the guilty parties. He would have no creditabilty if he had dished out soft punishments. By showing he meant bidness, it now deters future similar situations. Good for the NFL administrative people.

Comment

Good to see stiff punishments. There is no reason for this in sports and if something wasn't done you wonder how far the players would have gone with bounties.
                  “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                  ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Warren Sapp just called out Jeremy Shockey as the snitch in Bountygate.

Even if Shockey did do it, Warren Sapp snitching on Shockey makes him a hypocrite.
                    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

It was rumoured before the Superbowl that a team was under investigation of paying bounties to its players to deliberately injure players.

Now it is revealed that it was the New Orlean Saints, i believe that nothing short of stripping the club of the 2009/10 Superbowl should be in order and thet the players return their now tainted Superbowl rings and hand back all bonuses of that win.

To actively pay players to deliberately injure players is an absolute disgrace and should be a crimminal offense.

Comment

It is good that the NFL lowered a heavy hammer. We won't be seeing another story about this for a few years at least.

The Saints don't have a pick in the draft until the 3rd round. (They did not have a 1st rounder) That'll hurt a lot.

It'll be interesting which players get penalized. Jonathan Vilma has been the only player named thus far. I'm guessing their defense is going to be wrecked for a sizeable portion of the year.

This also sends a message about how seriously the NFL is taking injuries. This may help in settling the concussion lawsuits.
                        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                          It is good that the NFL lowered a heavy hammer. We won't be seeing another story about this for a few years at least.

The Saints don't have a pick in the draft until the 3rd round. (They did not have a 1st rounder) That'll hurt a lot.

It'll be interesting which players get penalized. Jonathan Vilma has been the only player named thus far. I'm guessing their defense is going to be wrecked for a sizeable portion of the year.

This also sends a message about how seriously the NFL is taking injuries. This may help in settling the concussion lawsuits.
                          It may help with future concussion lawsuits. I don't see how it will effect those filed already.

Regards,
                          Dennis

Comment

Last night when I first heard that Payton had been suspended for a year, I was shocked. But, this morning more details are coming out on ESPN and the NFL Network. In 2010, the Saint's management was apparently warned about the use of any "bounty" system. When they were questioned about it, they denied its existence and then continued to use it. The penalties are harsh, but they are justified in view of the arrogance of those involved. They were told to discontinue the practice and they ignored that advice. The cover-up is what killed them, not the crime. Ask Nixon about cover-ups and their consequences. "Boys will be boys" and the side bets about performances on the field will continue between players, but in this instance the paying of the much more serious blood money was not only sanctioned, but organized, by the men who were supposed to be the leaders of the organization.
                            If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

Which is why I thought the penalties far too soft.

Peyton shouldn't have a job again in the NFL ever, along with anyone else in management who sanctioned this practice. Let the players who did this hit the streets as well, never to return to the game.

That would send a message.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X