Your Team, Stadium and Their History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Team, Stadium and Their History

A thread for trivia and pics about your team, its history and stadium. Any sport as a fan is a fan, regardless.

I'll start gently with just a pic of the Gooners new sacred turf at the Emirates Stadium. Slick can deal with the history...

Last but not least, the now sadly gone Highbury Stadium North Bank in all its glory (as a boy in the 60's, picture me just to the left of the far goal at the front)...

Looking forward to your posts.

Gaz

In this life, some things are just plain wrong! Uppermost among these would be the cynical re-naming of the iconic St. James's Park, home to Newcastle United, to 'Sports Direct Arena'.

Monday 27 February 2012 12:42
    ANGRY Newcastle United fans staged a mock funeral service in protest at the removal of the St James’s Park signs. The protest, complete with a black and white coffin, was organised by a fan collective called NUFC Fans United, ahead of Saturday’s 2-2 clash against Wolves, and also featured a wreath spelling out the words ‘St James’s Park Forever’. The group held a mock service with “vicar” Steve Wraith saying they hope it would encourage Magpie chairman Mike Ashley and chief executive Derek Llambias to talk to fans. The St James’s Park signs were removed from the walls 12 days ago to complete the official renaming of the ground as the Sports Direct Arena. But Mr Wraith said: “The only thing they have done by removing the signs in this way is antagonise the fans. “We know money talks and if they had changed the name because we were getting £10m, fans would have perhaps accepted it more.” He said the United management had shown “a callous disregard” by discarding the name.“We respect our heritage and tradition, and consider the actions taken in converting to the Sports Direct Arena to be sacrilege.“We urge all fans to join us and help in our struggle to re-instate the name so that it will continue forever and ever.”

Philip
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

History? You want history?

It should've stayed that way.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by philiplaos View Post
        In this life, some things are just plain wrong! Uppermost among these would be the cynical re-naming of the iconic St. James's Park, home to Newcastle United, to 'Sports Direct Arena'.

Philip
        Phil.

It will ALLWAYS be St. James's Park to Geordie lads and lasses, and every other footie fan.

Gaz

Comment

Firhill, home of my beloved Jags since 1909.

Highest attendance; 55,000 Scotland v Ireland rugby international 1926 (the only full International).

Highest Partick Thistle attendance; 49, 838 v Rangers 1922.
          Attached Files
          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
            Firhill, home of my beloved Jags since 1909.

Highest attendance; 55,000 Scotland v Ireland rugby international 1926 (the only full International).

Highest Partick Thistle attendance; 49, 838 v Rangers 1922.
            A treat mate...

Regards

Gaz

Comment

The Hurricanes played in the Miami Orange Bowl until 2007, winning 5 national championships. They won 3 of those championships in the OB itself (1983, 1987, 1991).

Since 2008, the Canes have played in what is now called Sun Life Stadium. Its not the same.

Comment

Fellow fans, please feel free to post ANY of your teams trivia you find interesting, not just Stadium related.

So far the pics have been great, but I need to test my new glasses so get writing about your team please!!!

Thanks

Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                  History? You want history?

It should've stayed that way.
                  Bah. This is the real Yankee Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
                    Fellow fans, please feel free to post ANY of your teams trivia you find interesting, not just Stadium related.

So far the pics have been great, but I need to test my new glasses so get writing about your team please!!!

Thanks

Gaz

Comment

Madison Square Garden, home of New York's Rangers (NHL) and Knicks (NBA) since 1968.

There were three earlier incarnations of The Garden: the first two at Madison Square (Fifth Avenue and 26th Street)

and the third at Eighth Avenue and West 50th Street.

The current Garden is being rebuilt from the inside in stages, and the work is being documented on the MSG Network. Over the years, MSG II, III and IV have featured in various events, from sexually-charged murders of the rich and famous, to presidential nominating conventions, to films like The Manchurian Candidate. When I go 30 Mar against the Habs I'll take some pics from the Blue Seats if anyone wants to see them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                        Bah. This is the real Yankee Stadium.

Pre-renovation Old Yankee Stadium in the foreground, with the Polo Grounds -- at various times home to the Giants (NL) Yankees (AL) Giants (NFL) Titans/Jets (AFL) and Mets (NL) -- in the background across the Harlem River.

Comment

Baseball's weirdest ballpark, Ebbets Field on Bedford Avenue, home of the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
                            A treat mate...

Regards

Gaz

It was indeed, apart from the, 'Jester Strip,' and the grey-and-pink away concoction.

Of course, it's probably the only stadium in the world with a glass eye buried under the centre-spot. It was the last request of a life-long fan who, 'Wanted to keep an eye on them.'

The Celtic goal in '71 who scored it now ? Oh yes,Dalglish..... whatever happened to him ?

How could I have forgotten this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyWVm...eature=related
                            Last edited by the ace; 27 Feb 12, 21:02.
                            Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Boston Red Sox - Fenway Park since 1912....hey Slick - fuggedabbouddit!
                              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X