Are Penn Staters Really This Cluless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Penn Staters Really This Cluless?

Penn State football players and alumni are crying that they were not contacted about who to hire as the new head football coach and that the new head football coach is not in the Penn State "family". First of all they should be thankful they still have a football program and secondly they don't want someone in the family because they want to cut any ties to the Paterno era when the sexual abuse took place.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-hire/1?csp=hf
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

I have never heard of a school consulting the players when hiring a new coach. Players must either work for the new coach or transfer to another school.

I'll leave my opinion of the child abuse subject at the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
      Penn State football players and alumni are crying that they were not contacted about who to hire as the new head football coach and that the new head football coach is not in the Penn State "family". First of all they should be thankful they still have a football program and secondly they don't want someone in the family because they want to cut any ties to the Paterno era when the sexual abuse took place.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-hire/1?csp=hf
      I agree. In some schools (not football but other sports) they do have players part of the interview process (I know I had two such interviews at different schools), but the Penn St. Lettermen's Club are the ones upset (the alumni). I think they have not come to grips with Jo Pa being tossed out and are venting their anger. I feel sorry for this new coach, because he is being set up for failure before even having the first practice.
      "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
      -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by TTownLarry View Post
        I have never heard of a school consulting the players when hiring a new coach. Players must either work for the new coach or transfer to another school.
        When deciding on Butch Davis' replacement, UM took the players opinion into consideration when hiring Larry Coker and declining to aggressively pursue Donna Shalala's first choice, Barry Alvarez (or some the story goes). We know how that turned out. If Alvarez came to the U, the decline would have never happened. As for Nevin Shapiro, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
          I feel sorry for this new coach, because he is being set up for failure before even having the first practice.
          Agreed. Whoever gets hired after this coach will probably be able to operate more eficiently. I also agree they should all just shut up and be glad they are being allowed to play at all.

Comment

Penn State alumni who are upset about the firing of Joe Paterno have started a group called Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship. The first paragraph on the web site reads:

We are Penn State alumni and friends who are outraged at the manner in which Penn State's Board of Trustees fired Head Coach Joe Paterno, a man whose name is synonymous with honor, character, and integrity, to gratify a media lynch mob. We perceive this as a contemptible display of moral cowardice and organizational groupthink that renders the existing Board unable to command the continued trust or respect of the University's stakeholders: alumni, students, parents, faculty, and Pennsylvania taxpayers. Honor, common decency, and the best interests of the University require a Board of Trustees (BOT) that will exercise responsible stewardship in the future. Our goal is therefore to replace all incumbent alumni trustees, and reject all nominating committee candidates, through the nomination and election of worthy petition candidates.

The link to the website is http://www.ps4rs.org
            “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
            ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
              Penn State alumni who are upset about the firing of Joe Paterno have started a group called Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship. The first paragraph on the web site reads:

We are Penn State alumni and friends who are outraged at the manner in which Penn State's Board of Trustees fired Head Coach Joe Paterno, a man whose name is synonymous with honor, character, and integrity, to gratify a media lynch mob. We perceive this as a contemptible display of moral cowardice and organizational groupthink that renders the existing Board unable to command the continued trust or respect of the University's stakeholders: alumni, students, parents, faculty, and Pennsylvania taxpayers. Honor, common decency, and the best interests of the University require a Board of Trustees (BOT) that will exercise responsible stewardship in the future. Our goal is therefore to replace all incumbent alumni trustees, and reject all nominating committee candidates, through the nomination and election of worthy petition candidates.

The link to the website is http://www.ps4rs.org
              DUH!!!! And these are college men?!

Regards,
              Dennis
              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

The school needs to make a clean break with the past. The Paterno-era was great for the school, but sadly that is history. The school's administration is responsible for building the future and the alumni is duty-bound to publicly support the administration in it's efforts. If they have issues, they should be addressed behind closed doors, not in a public forum. They should realize that the last thing Penn State needs is a "good old boy" from the past, but a fresh face who has no connection with that same past.
                If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

Are Penn Staters Really This Cluless?

YES
                  Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.

Comment

Originally posted by TTownLarry View Post

I'll leave my opinion of the child abuse subject at the door.
                    Same goes for me...they're being ridiculous (the students, players, etc.)
                    "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X