BCS Bowls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCS Bowls

Has anyone been able to come up with any logical reasons for the BCS Bowl pairings? I can understand Alabama being selected over Oklahoma State because of the political system in use but how can they select #13 Michigan and #11 Virginia Tech to go to the Sugar Bowl when #7 Boise State and #8 Kansas State were ranked much higher. When they added the 5th bowl to the series a few years ago they said they were adding it to allow more teams from non-BCS leagues to play. I believe the truth is that none of the big name teams want to play Boise so they just shun them. Boise State is stuck in the same ole bowl in Las Vegas having to play a non-rated Arizona State with a paltry 6-6 record.

Let's get a playoff system.

It's all about money. The bowls want teams whose fan bases travel well. The whole thing is a joke. Past time for playoffs.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
      It's all about money. The bowls want teams whose fan bases travel well. The whole thing is a joke. Past time for playoffs.
      BINGO!!!
      You hit the nail on the head. How anyone from the Big East got into a major bowl this year is beyond belief. Though it was fortunate for the Orange that WVU won it because they do travel very, very well and will fill a lot of seats.

We even have at least one losing record team (lost the name) going to a bowl. Anyway, they lost me when they began dragging them out past New Years Day.

I don't give a rotund rodents rear recepticle what any of them do. I won't even watch Pitt! I will however watch the D-2 championship if I get the chance.

Regards,
      Dennis
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Once the current BCS contract has expired (in a year or two I believe) we will see the playoff system installed.

Now do you want a 4, 8, or 16 team system? Get ready for that debate!
        "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
        -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
          Once the current BCS contract has expired (in a year or two I believe) we will see the playoff system installed.

I say get rid if all the bowls and go with a 32 team play off and let it run through January. I know it won't happen and it would be in competition with college basketball but it would probably earn more money than the current bowl system. Just give any playoff system a try because the BCS system does not work. The current BCS contract is up at the end of the 2013 bowl season (Jan 2014) so we had better get started yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
            BINGO!!!
            You hit the nail on the head. How anyone from the Big East got into a major bowl this year is beyond belief. Though it was fortunate for the Orange that WVU won it because they do travel very, very well and will fill a lot of seats.

We even have at least one losing record team (lost the name) going to a bowl. Anyway, they lost me when they began dragging them out past New Years Day.

I don't give a rotund rodents rear recepticle what any of them do. I won't even watch Pitt! I will however watch the D-2 championship if I get the chance.

Regards,
            Dennis
            I know UCLA (6-7) got into a bowl. What a joke. I think the NCAA wanted to save the PAC-12 some embarrassment from having half the inaugural championship game being non bowl eligible.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I know UCLA (6-7) got into a bowl. What a joke. I think the NCAA wanted to save the PAC-12 some embarrassment from having half the inaugural championship game being non bowl eligible.
              Ah, but UCLA is bowl eligible. All the NCAA rules state is that a team has to have 6 wins against FBS teams which UCLA has. It says nothing about how many losses a team can or can't have.
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I find it funny how people will bash the NIT but act as though getting invited to the Humantarian Bowl is a huge honor. There are way too many Bowl games.
                “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                  Ah, but UCLA is bowl eligible. All the NCAA rules state is that a team has to have 6 wins against FBS teams which UCLA has. It says nothing about how many losses a team can or can't have.
                  They still had to apply for a waiver from the NCAA to play in the bowl.

Comment

How any Big East team could accept the automatic berth is ridiculous. Mediocraty would be a step up for them.

But WVU does travel very, very well.........$$$$$$$$$$

Regards,
                    Dennis

Comment

my take on it as well..

MONEY rules
                      the fans are fools
                      “Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.”

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post

32 teams for me. That's 5 playoff games for the two finalists. Go back to an 11 game schedule which rules out .500 teams, eliminate conference championship playoff games. An 11 game season and at the end, 2 teams will have played 16 games. If the other divisions can do it, why not the big boys?

Comment

why is there a need for a National Championship?

other than the idea, that some unfortunate people live vicariously thru their local sports team and they get some kind of boost to their self esteem thru this kind of thing, I can't think of any other reason for a national championship.
                          “Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.”

Comment

If I approached the networks and NCAA with enough money they would do whatever the hell I wanted done regarding having or not having a playoff. I could care less about it until they fix the corruption and bullshit in major college athletics.

How about this one for example: How come if a college player wants to transfer within the top NCAA division it costs them a year, but sleeze coaches can skip out on contracts without penalty? By the way, scholarships are NOT 4 year deals, they are a series of 4 one year renewable scholarships! Just more sleeze!

For a HIGH SCHOOL team to win a state championship in Pennsylvania they must play 15 games! Just more bullshit!

But I digress from the topic. Thanks for your indulgence of my rant!

Regards,
                            Dennis

Comment

Dennis,

Ohio's the same way as far as HS playoffs go. The final two play 15 games to decide a champion.

And I agree completely with your point about coaches leaving before their contracts are done. It's hypocritical of the NCAA to let coaches go to a better situation and not players.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X