Wales Manager Gary Speed suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wales Manager Gary Speed suicide

Absolutely shocked to hear this news. WTF? He was on TV just yesterday. 42 years old - leaves a widow and two young sons .....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti..._news_rss_feed

RIP
    "COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
    - Mad Jack Churchill.

i am amazed, he was on Football Focus yesterday, he looked and sounded the last person likely to take his life. So sad, I can only think he must have suffered from some form of depression, which is too common in sport, yet sportsman often find it difficult to come out and speak to others about it.
    War is less costly than servitude

Comment

Originally posted by Kendrick View Post
      i am amazed, he was on Football Focus yesterday, he looked and sounded the last person likely to take his life. So sad, I can only think he must have suffered from some form of depression, which is too common in sport, yet sportsman often find it difficult to come out and speak to others about it.
      I know Paul. Shocked doesn't even come close. Good looking, talented, hugely liked and respected, seemed to have it all.

Less well know but earlier this week the woman who was the personal trainer on that TV programme (Fit Club or whatever it was called) threw herself off Beachy Head - she was also 42, same age as Gary:

http://www.angiedowds.com/
      - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Yes, I think one of the problems is the 'macho' environment in football, which makes it tough to come out and ask for help about depression. I remember that recently the Germen international goalkeeper killed himself. At least in Cricket, it has become more possible for players to be open about depression. My prayers are with Gary Speed's wife and two children
        War is less costly than servitude

Comment

I heard this a short time ago. I couldn't believe it. People that know him well are utterly shocked and perplexed. He clearly had some deep depression. Lot of men his age are having similar issues and its getting more common. Very sad. He was doing an amazing job. Robbie Savage who is a very close friend was on 606 and he was clearly in pieces.

Comment

He's being widely reported as being his normal cheerful and charismatic self by many people who met him just the day before his apparent suicide.

I'd like to know what was in his mind to cause him to do this to himself and his two young sons.

But I guess it's impertinent and in bad taste to inquire.

Philip
            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
              I heard this a short time ago. I couldn't believe it. People that know him well are utterly shocked and perplexed. He clearly had some deep depression. Lot of men his age are having similar issues and its getting more common. Very sad. He was doing an amazing job. Robbie Savage who is a very close friend was on 606 and he was clearly in pieces.
              I was shocked especially as it seems to be suicide, he seemed to have 'no worries' a seemingly happy family life, well off I presume and even his 'work' had been going well, Wales winning and seemed to be getting plenty of media work.

But I suppose that deep depression for you, it doesn't have to be logical.
              Cymru am Byth

Comment

- Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

...very very sad news, like the guy and a person and as a player/manager....cannot imagine the utter grief being suffered by his family right now, and my thoughts and prayers are with them right now...

Comment

Very sad news indeed..My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends...
                    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                    "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X