X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shikar!

(I suppose this goes in sporting?)

Sir or Madam, Do you hunt?

Surprised that there wasn't more hunting related discussion, seeing as this board has many Americans, I thought I'd better open up discussion. If you hunt, what game? with what equipment? where? Perhaps you read about hunting and can share a book title?

I shall begin. I have hunted small game in Britain but did not have opportunity in Africa. I have though recently had offers from friends and family to hunt in Namibia and the USA which I intend to take up as soon as I have the money and finish my current work.
    I read a lot about hunting, as you may notice from my profile and picture here.
    Books I have and read on the subject are;
    F.C. Selous' works including his Wanderings in East Africa, Hunting in North America, and Travel and Adventure
    Jim Corbett's 'Man Eaters of Koumon'
    The Man Eaters of Tsavo
    P.J. Pretorius' 'Jungle Man'
    and recently I was given 'Notes on the Boone and Crockett Club' by a friend.
    Last edited by Selous; 03 Sep 11, 20:15.
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

I hunt,fish,hike. I hunt here at home,deer,sometimes bear(rugsteak) rabbits,squirrel,wild boar and raccoon. Quail is a waste of time-not enough meat. I have on occasion went on vacation to hunt elk,caribou(I have to say that if I told my little ones Reindeer they'd yell "Don't kill Rudolph!") Also I hunted antelope once. Antelope is very tasty.I've also eaten frog legs and alligator jerky. To me,gator tastes like fish. I've also had crawdads,they remind me of poor man's crab legs. I've even ate and hunted ground hog.
    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

hehe, I remember a friend of mine coming back from deerstalking in the Highlands and upsetting his younger relatives by saying Bambi was in the freezer.

What did you use to hunt these beasts? do you use a hide for bear hunting? I visited some of the memsahib's family in the US and the chap there had built high-hides on his land for deer hunting.. I'd be very intrigued to know Reb!
      ------
      'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

No,never used a hide. I usually use a 12 gauge shotgun with deer slugs for deer,a 20 gauge for squirrel,rabbit and smaller game. For the bigger beasts, mostly a Remington 30-06. I also have a Marlin .308 MX with a scope I use for bigger game too. I have several firearms. Mostly depends on what I want to do for the day. I've even killed squirrels with a .22 Rifle.

Comment

That Marlin Express round looks very powerful. Whereabouts do you hunt bear and Elk, are they near where you live?
          I also have a .22 'ratting piece' for rodents and pigeons which are become a blight in our area. Have you ever used a bow or crossbow? The chap who has the dear hides, he sold his rifles and now only has a shotgun for deer slugs and long-bows.

On bush meat, I've never had crocodile, but plenty of antelope and a wild boar burger once or twice. Also, Kangaroo and Ostrich if you can get it are nice! Had Elk billtong/jerky in Colorado last year too
          ------

Comment

Bear yes,near home. Elk I went to Montana one year with my brother. Boar I go to south Georgia. I've used bows,not a crossbow. I don't particularly like them. I hunted antelope in Colorado. I get Ostrich and Buffalo from a friend who raises them. He also has beefalo.

Comment

White tail deer was my favorite game: great meat, and plenty of it. My cousins preferred Savage .30-30, a couple of them bow-hunt, but I preferred Winchester 70 or Remington 700, in either .30-06, .303 Winchester, or 7.62x51mm NATO. I bagged several good bucks that way.

My only bear was a complete accident: a meeting engagement during a fall white tail season at a stream. My cousin dropped a 500 lb male black with a .30-30 at less than 20 yds that ricocheted off his jaw and through his heart. The meat was nasty as sin, so I've never hunted the things for that reason.

Rabbits can be had with .22 LR, and depending on the size, the meat can be worth it.

Alligator tasted alright enough, but it was so long ago that I can't remember how my father brought him down.

Boar I got in North Carolina with a Remington 700 in 7.62. That was good eating. If there were more boar up here I might take up hunting again: they're real pests if not controlled.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Rugsteak is good Marc. Know how we fix it? The ONLY reason I use cocola. I marinate the bear whether it steak or roast,in cocola and spices with a little teriyaki. I like to cook it slow. It can be cut with a fork. I've also made bear meat loaf.It is excellent.

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                White tail deer was my favorite game: great meat, and plenty of it. My cousins preferred Savage .30-30, a couple of them bow-hunt, but I preferred Winchester 70 or Remington 700, in either .30-06, .303 Winchester, or 7.62x51mm NATO. I bagged several good bucks that way.

My only bear was a complete accident: a meeting engagement during a fall white tail season at a stream. My cousin dropped a 500 lb male black with a .30-30 at less than 20 yds that ricocheted off his jaw and through his heart. The meat was nasty as sin, so I've never hunted the things for that reason.

Rabbits can be had with .22 LR, and depending on the size, the meat can be worth it.

Alligator tasted alright enough, but it was so long ago that I can't remember how my father brought him down.

Boar I got in North Carolina with a Remington 700 in 7.62. That was good eating. If there were more boar up here I might take up hunting again: they're real pests if not controlled.

Comment

What does Bear taste like, if you can describe it for me? I don't think I've ate carnivore. I dont suppose boar count..
                  ------

Comment

Boar is like wild pig. Like pig but gamier. Bear is sort of sweet to me. It is hard to describe,think of a gamier roast. But tastier.

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
                      What does Bear taste like, if you can describe it for me? I don't think I've ate carnivore. I dont suppose boar count..
                      Brown bear is some of nastiest smelling and tasting stuff you'll ever run across. Black bear can be better but it depends on what they've been eating, in this regard they are like every other game animal. Generally black bear is best used for heavily spiced sausages or ground for stew meat or other fillers in sauces. I never hunt brown bears since I won't eat them. Spring black bear is a different matter, since they are tolerable to dine upon.

Moose, caribou, and Dahl sheep are the big ones I hunt for in AK. I probably won't have time to chase either moose or bou this year, which is a shame because they are delicious, especially the back straps when fresh off the animal. I have an October 1-10 dahl sheep hunt this year which I am getting in shape for. It is a bow only hunt and is going to be very difficult physically, if I can get it done at all. (The weather must cooperate or getting up to them may simply be impossible)

Regarding weapons, I mostly use a Remington 700 in .375 H&H for Moose and caribou, and a 30-06 or 45-70 on occasion. One is never overgunned in bear country, however, so I mostly have the .375. For bow hunts I have a Bowtech 82nd Airborne dual cam compound bow. (I had to buy it, you understand, it's named 82nd!) The bow shoots lazers and is hell from a treestand. (Unfortunately no tree stand will help you when hunting sheep)Here's a photo I took yesterday when practicing, I thought it looked nice hanging in the trees:
                      Attached Files

Comment

The only bear I ever had was black, and it was during white tail deer season in New York (last week of Nov, first week of Dec.) That's when the bears have entered their torpor, a kind of less intense hibernation. During Sep and Oct, black bears really fatten up, so by late Nov, they're greasy as hell. For both smell, taste, and texture, the meat was quite disgusting. We didn't do much preparing of it, 'cause very few people around here eat black bear, so we had some filets cut and just put 'em on the grill. Next time -- if there is a next time -- I'll hit up Kirk or Lance for one of their recipes.

New Jersey has held black bear hunts every fall for the last couple of years. Black bears have become a real nuisance there, so if you're wanting the eat, apply to NJ, and have at 'em. Just live up to the sniper's creed: one shot -- one kill. NJ is the US' most densely populated state, so if you miss, you're bound to hit something unintended downrange.

Comment

Thanks for the replies gents, that's cleared my ponderings up.
                          I don't think I'd eat bear black or brown...though I suppose it's an experience from what I get from your posts. I really do appreciate your words of wisdom on all this, believe me.

llkinak, that is one impressive looking bow!
                          These Dahl Sheep; appear mountainous, so no trees so I bet that involves a lot of ducking behidn rocks and stalking?

Presumably, like the Black Bear, the mountain Lion or cougar can be a pest? are these licence huntable or, like bear, have a season or are they only dealt with by officials in culls?

If I'm ever in New Jersey, maybe best not to shoot, I'd not want to accidently hit a lawyer or a cow or something!...I think there was a song about that...
                          ------

Comment

llkinak, that is one impressive looking bow!
                            These Dahl Sheep; appear mountainous, so no trees so I bet that involves a lot of ducking behidn rocks and stalking?

Presumably, like the Black Bear, the mountain Lion or cougar can be a pest? are these licence huntable or, like bear, have a season or are they only dealt with by officials in culls?
                            Thanks, she's a wonderful tool. Regarding the sheep, they do tend to stay pretty high up. They have patterns like most other hoofed critters, and your best chance is to watch and learn where and when they bed down. If you can get there and wait for them to come back from feeding for the day you have a decent chance. Sneaking up on them is a non-starter, they're too in tune with the surroundings and usually a ram or two is acting as a sort of sentry. You can also try to stake out a perferred watering spot and wait, but getting them where they sleep is probably the best bet.

I've never hunted mountain lion and so have no idea about seasons for them, if any. I don't eat much bear either, like I said, never brownies and black ones only in the spring. Black bear are getting to be something akin to land pike up here, however, and some places have a three bear limit per year with no closed season. They are getting very thick on the ground.

Comment

appear mountainous, so no trees so I bet that involves a lot of ducking behidn rocks and stalking?
                              Yeah, shooting a bow from the prone position can be a real bitch.

Presumably, like the Black Bear, the mountain Lion or cougar can be a pest?
                              I've heard that there have been some unpleasant mountain lion - human encounters in Northern California, but beyond that I cannot say. I know that as there's been more development in heretofore undeveloped areas, there have been more black bear - human encounters, including a couple of human fatalities. Of course, the situation is exacerbated by assholes who won't do the right thing vis a vis their food and garbage, like closing lids and keeping it out of reach of the bears. As bears become more acclimated to humans, they become more, not less dangerous. These morons are generating risks for everyone.

are these licence huntable or, like bear, have a season or are they only dealt with by officials in culls?
                              Both New York and New Jersey offer numerous licenses for hunting and fishing, depending on game, weapon, region, etc, etc.

If I'm ever in New Jersey, maybe best not to shoot, I'd not want to accidently hit a lawyer or a cow or something!...I think there was a song about that...
                              If you just happen to hit a lawyer, I won't see anything. I promise.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X