Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sports cliches that make you want to heave.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports cliches that make you want to heave.....

I thought about making this a poll, but decided against it as there may be soooooooo many options out there.

Currently my leader is "do/did our due diligence." Is there anything that grates against the ears more than that phrase?

And, what the hell would you expect a team/player/coach to do? You want the hometown hero to come out and say, "Screw studying the tendencies of the other player/team. That is too much hard work! I get paid to (insert activity), not study!"

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

When an announcer - often Dan Dierdorf says after a player gets hit hard: Welcome to the NFL, rookie!

Comment

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
      When an announcer - often Dan Dierdorf says after a player gets hit hard: Welcome to the NFL, rookie!
      I guess that means that if you've been in the league a few years getting clocked/decked/waxed is better than an orgasm!

Regards,
      Dennis

Comment

My biggest sports cliche, I don't even think I can describe it well, but I'll try:

When baseball announcers, for example, say something like this:

Well thank God that Dewie made that great catch on Mattingly, because otherwise Winfield's homer would have tied the score.

They seem to have a different understanding of cause and effect and certainty and the pre-destination of events etc. than the rest of us.

Would the pitcher have had the same thought processes? Would the wind have been the same in the universe that happened and the assumed universe? Would the batter have had the same thought processes?

I can see I'm already babbling, but it seems to be something they learn at Broadcasting School.
        Last edited by lakechampainer; 26 Aug 11, 10:49.

Comment

The Mets' old announcer, Bob Murphy, used to say, "He popped him up" when a player on the opposing team hit a pop-up... As if the Mets' pitcher caused the pop-up...
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

"He loves to play the game." No duh.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                The Mets' old announcer, Bob Murphy, used to say, "He popped him up" when a player on the opposing team hit a pop-up... As if the Mets' pitcher caused the pop-up...
                Greg Maddox has been known to do just this - getting the batter to hit Greg's pitch where Greg wanted it. I cannot remember who told the story (one of the catchers with the Braves), but the catcher said that in between innings Greg said he would get so and so to pop up the third pitch to the 3B and bingo he did it. Of course Greg is a pitching miracle and most pitchers aren't on his level of understanding on 'how to pitch'.
                "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

"It is what it is" ... well, no shitz.

"one game at a time"

"he is a gamer" by the announcer
                  SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

"The black players at this club lend the side a lot of skill and flair, but you also need white players in there to balance things up and give the team some brains and some common sense." - Crystal Palace chairman Ron Noades, speaking in 1991
                    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

The following 3 are usually used in close proximity to each other, and each is a bold face lie!!!

1. Its not about the money. TRUTH: It sure as hell is Roscoe!

2. They disrespected me. TRUTH: This would be true if they did not pay you according to the specs in your last contract. But your agent wouldn't allow that!

3. I need to feed my family. TRUTH: You need it to give to lap dancers!

Regards,
                      Dennis

Comment

"Win one for the Gipper!" It makes me heave.
                        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

"What is important is what we do when we have the ball!'

- Sir Alex Ferguson
                          "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

When a team loses the Coach saying "we didn't turn up today".

What crap is this, you sent out a team of clones.

Comment

It was a game of two halves.
                              They (the winners) wanted it more.
                              Rage.
                              ------
                              'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X