Cajun Pot Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cajun Pot Pie

Gus, this is for you, though of course the rest of the forum goers are welcome to it.

This is my own personal recipe. It's easy and it works. I'm sure given time (or input from other members) it can be improved.

Gus, head over to the refrigerated section of your grocery store. It'll be the place where you find the Pillsbury crescent rolls and the like. Pick up two ready made pie crusts. (there should be two in one box).

You'll need a pie pan.

Line the pie pan with one crust.

Get some Cream of Chicken soup.

For filling, this is up to you. My personal favorite is crawfish tails and green onions (sliced fine) and some red bell pepper (chopped up).

However, if you're doing something after Thanksgiving you can easily put in turkey and some veggies like green beans, chopped carrots, or corn.

I like to add a dusting of cajun spices - Paul Prudhomme's Magic Chicken is great on pretty much everything; add to taste - I'd say around a teaspoon, maybe more.

Stir this all up and put the other crust over the first. The pie crust probably has some guidelines for cooking. I haven't made this in a while, but I'd recommend about 350 for maybe 20 - 30 minutes. Enough to brown the crust and get the pie hot. Since you're using leftover turkey it'll be cooked, and this should be good to go.
    Attached Files
    RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Extra fancy! I will trying it out this Saturday. Thanks!

Comment

Wow, this sounds so easy...I think even I can attempt it.
      I have been known to burn water...

Another idea for leftover turkey...

Turkey + Cranberry + Cream Cheese + Bread (of your choice) = Delicious Sandwich!
      (psst...low calorie too)
      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

For a twist on the Cajun theme, we're going to make a Cajun Risotto to go with the Tur-Duc-Hen roll.

We'll use the same Arborio rice as we would use for Risotto. Instead of using white wine & chicken broth, we'll use beer & chicken broth and prepare it just like regular Risotto.

We'll then add sauted green bell peppers, shallots, blackened shrimp and top with a scoop of red beans.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

No rice in the Pot Pie? I guess that means you will put the Pot Pie over some rice...It ain't Cajun unless there is some rice around...

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            No rice in the Pot Pie? I guess that means you will put the Pot Pie over some rice...It ain't Cajun unless there is some rice around...

Pruitt
            Good point. No, I don't add rice. It gets pretty crowded in that pie pan. Nothing wrong with putting it down as a bed first, though
            RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Comment

Where you from Cher?

Pruitt

Comment

I'm not Cajun, but my wife is 1/2 Cajun. We just moved from Baton Rouge. Her mom is from New Iberia.

Comment

I understand. My ex was Cajun (which meant her Grandmother was half German and part Indian). None of the grandparents spoke English. You can't tell my children are half Cajun as the both have red hair and blue eyes. My grandsons in Texas are blond (2) and redheaded. I went to a family reunion of my Father-in-Law's side once. The Blanchard boys were so dark they could pass as Hispanics, but where did all those Blond Blue Eyed Grandkids come from? LOL!

I have been to New Iberia a time or two. It is a nice place. Lots of Hispanic family names that have been in Louisiana over 300 years!

My Mother-in-Law was a great cook, but she learned a trick or two from my Mom. The in-laws had never tried putting whole onions, carrots and potato in with a Beef roast. After one Sunday Dinner at my house my future-ex had them chunking them in! To be fair my Mom never could get her Gumbo like the Blanchard's Gumbo. My ex curled her lip and called it "tea" because you could see through it. The ex's new husband called her tuna fish salad, "egg salad" and called her Gumbo "stew"! Sometimes you get what you deserve...

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    For a twist on the Cajun theme, we're going to make a Cajun Risotto to go with the Tur-Duc-Hen roll.

We'll use the same Arborio rice as we would use for Risotto. Instead of using white wine & chicken broth, we'll use beer & chicken broth and prepare it just like regular Risotto.

We'll then add sauted green bell peppers, shallots, blackened shrimp and top with a scoop of red beans.
                    Sounds yummy!

Comment

I've never been to New Orleans or known anyone from there personally, but I LOVE spicy Cajun food. That pie sounds incredible, and I might just try it out next month! Thanks for the recipe!

-Matt
                      SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
                        I'm not Cajun, but my wife is 1/2 Cajun. We just moved from Baton Rouge. Her mom is from New Iberia.
                        New Iberia the city of Dave Robicheaux
                        à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
                        (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

I like James Lee Burke. Too bad he killed Detective Robicheaux off in his last book.

Pruitt

Comment

Working...
                          X