Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a Foreman Countertop Grill

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Got a Foreman Countertop Grill

    I eat fish filets or chicken breast + rice like 7 days per week and rarely deviate from this fare.

    In the past I'd bread and pan-fry my tilapia fillets as shown in the last image. It's yummy but I noticed a tremendous amount of olive oil must be used to prevent the fillet from burning up. I realized I'm eating lots of redundant calories just from the olive oil. It's less of a problem with chicken breast because breast is just marinated over a few hours and then fried without any bread on it (looks like the bread crumbs absorb lots of oil).

    I decided to go for the grill because I saw on YouTube that guys season their filet, then paint it with a bit of olive oil using a brush, but after that it goes into the Foreman and no more oil is needed.

    I'm trying it out tonight for the first time.





    Last edited by MonsterZero; 08 Oct 10, 19:22.

    "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

  • #2
    Be careful that you don't overcook the meat the first time that you use one.

    You will find that the cooking time will be very quick as both sides cook at once. This is great for hamburgers, steaks, sliced pork roasts, and other meat in patty form. The hot surface grills the meat sealing in the juices and quickly cooking the meat before it has a chance to get tough.

    Remove the bone from T bone or other meat as that bone will prevent the meat from contacting the hot surface leaving it raw by the bone.

    Finally, just season the surface with the oil for cooking. When done cooking after it cools down, just clean up by wiping with a paper towel.
    “Breaking News,”

    “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

    Comment


    • #3
      Good thing you got the real thing...from personal experience, I decided to buy the much cheaper one at the time and it only lasted about 1 month or so...now i have the real thing..OMG..what a difference...
      "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
      "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

      Comment


      • #4
        Tilapia is not the best fish to be eating...
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jose50 View Post
          Tilapia is not the best fish to be eating...
          Oh, it's Mr.Sophisticated; "no tilapia & rice for me. I'm off to play the Grand Piano: pardon me while I consume some yellowback from Tokyo at $800/pound".

          "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

          Comment


          • #6
            Looks tasty MZ.
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
              Oh, it's Mr.Sophisticated; "no tilapia & rice for me. I'm off to play the Grand Piano: pardon me while I consume some yellowback from Tokyo at $800/pound".

              Nice Graham Chapman impersonation!
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

              BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

              BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

              Comment


              • #8
                I can't remember when I breaded my fish last. usually just olive oil with some good seasoning (NO SALT). Throw some cut peppers or in with the rice. Tilapia is a better alternative to cod or other whitefish if you live in these landlocked areas.

                I miss living on the FL coast. Snapper and Grouper are great on the grill.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jose50 View Post
                  Tilapia is not the best fish to be eating...

                  I've heard the opposite. They have much lower Mercury levels than other fish.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

                  BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

                  BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                    I've heard the opposite. They have much lower Mercury levels than other fish.
                    I've eaten two dinners of Talapia this week, one with crabmeat stuffing... both were very tasty .
                    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I like Talapia. Fry it with breadcrumbs and squeeze some lemon juice on it! Mmmmmmm
                      A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ...let 'em eat cod, by god...

                        All I'm saying is that farmed fish (and tilapia is a farmed fish unless you go fishing for it in the Amazon) can be a health hazard. Here's what R.B. Philp, professor emeritus of pharmacology and toxicology for the University of Western Ontario says:
                        "Since 1985 the production of farmed fish has quadrupled. Associated problems include increased levels of persistent organic pollutants and heavy metals in farmed fish fillets as compared to wild caught fish, environmental problems from waste fish food and excrement, disease hazards for fish and humans and depletion of wild forage fish to provide pellets for fish food. "

                        A report by the American Dietatic Association suggests that the health hazards from eating tilapia are equivalent to eating bacon or pork. You pose more risk to your heart by eating tilapia than by eating hamburgers or doughnuts.

                        And, in a citation from the Center for Disease Control's 'Emerging Infectious Diseases' (vol 3, number 4) the following:

                        "Ignorance of the microbial profile of aquaculture products can also affect human health as evidenced by the recent transmission of streptococcal infections from tilapia to humans, which resulted in several meningitis cases in Canadian fish processors (15). A change in marketing strategies to sell live fish in small containers, instead of ice-packs, resulted in human Vibrio infections from live tilapia in Israel in 1996. Such bacteria can be present in other aquacultured species in addition to tilapia. "

                        So, basically, eat tilapia at your own risk. I won't eat it ever. (I don't eat yellowfin tuna either, but I have a friend who catches them and sells them to the Japanese. It's a product of our fishery here on the short seacoast.)


                        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                        IN MARE IN COELO

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jose50 View Post
                          A report by the American Dietatic Association suggests that the health hazards from eating tilapia are equivalent to eating bacon or pork. You pose more risk to your heart by eating tilapia than by eating hamburgers or doughnuts.
                          I see what you're saying about farmed fish-I prefer wild Pacific salmon to farmed Atlantic for that reason-even here where it is much more expensive. But how can fish unless deep fried be wrose for you than doughnuts?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jose50 View Post
                            All I'm saying is that farmed fish (and tilapia is a farmed fish unless you go fishing for it in the Amazon) can be a health hazard. Here's what R.B. Philp, professor emeritus of pharmacology and toxicology for the University of Western Ontario says:
                            "Since 1985 the production of farmed fish has quadrupled. Associated problems include increased levels of persistent organic pollutants and heavy metals in farmed fish fillets as compared to wild caught fish, environmental problems from waste fish food and excrement, disease hazards for fish and humans and depletion of wild forage fish to provide pellets for fish food. "

                            A report by the American Dietatic Association suggests that the health hazards from eating tilapia are equivalent to eating bacon or pork. You pose more risk to your heart by eating tilapia than by eating hamburgers or doughnuts.

                            And, in a citation from the Center for Disease Control's 'Emerging Infectious Diseases' (vol 3, number 4) the following:

                            "Ignorance of the microbial profile of aquaculture products can also affect human health as evidenced by the recent transmission of streptococcal infections from tilapia to humans, which resulted in several meningitis cases in Canadian fish processors (15). A change in marketing strategies to sell live fish in small containers, instead of ice-packs, resulted in human Vibrio infections from live tilapia in Israel in 1996. Such bacteria can be present in other aquacultured species in addition to tilapia. "

                            So, basically, eat tilapia at your own risk. I won't eat it ever. (I don't eat yellowfin tuna either, but I have a friend who catches them and sells them to the Japanese. It's a product of our fishery here on the short seacoast.)



                            I read that the biggest problem with farm raised Tilapia is that it has a much higher fat content than wild Tilapia or other fish in general. But Tilapia, wild or farmed, has lower Mercury and Lead levels than many other species due to it's shorter life span and shorter growing cycle.
                            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

                            BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

                            BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I could swear that there was a post here a few minutes ago in which someone claimed that there are no wild Tilapia in the US. They aren't native but they are wild.

                              Anyway, that is false, as farm Tilapia has made their way into Florida's waters. There is one canal near Miami that has actually been stocked with Peacock Bass (another cichlid) to deal with the Tilapia explosion. Another Cichlid that has established itself in Florida is the Oscar. Many of us have had them in our fish tanks. That's not me in the photo, I'm much, much, cooler looking than that guy.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Gixxer86g; 18 Oct 10, 13:43.
                              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

                              BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

                              BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X