No announcement yet.

Disappointing food experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My most disappointing food experience occurred just this last weekend. I went to the legendary All American in Massapequa, NY ... generations of Long Islanders have somehow been led to believe this place is like the Mecca of hamburgers. In reality it was about on par with White Castle, it was horrible. I can get a better burger at McDonald's, Wendy's, or Checker's/Rally's.

The burger was greasy and unedible, the fries were soggy. The only good part was that it's so cheap. I couldent believe it, for my whole life I heard "oh you have to try All American" and I finally go and it's ****.

Comment

Bummer. I've been to a number of places where I thought the reputation was overrated, but I can't recall any place (In the US) where I felt completely let down.

Hearkening back to my days in Japan, all my Japanese friends used to rave about Coco's, which was apparently a restaurant chain in California. They used to take me there periodically for some "American food".

However, the food resembled nothing like what we'd find in the US. Bad, bad, bad. They were so delighted with the place that I never had the heart to tell them how terrible it was.
      RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

I was in Washington DC and was looking for something other than my usual chinese fix and so i saw Captain Chicken, I sh1t you not, i thought i had stepped into a happy days set, well i ordered and bit into the chicken burger and i thought what the f***, it had these stringy thingy's in the chicken pattie, i suspect it wasn't chiken in that patty from the start, but i ended up eating it and the fries were woeful at best, sloppy lengths of what used to be potatoes, the only thing that was any good was leaving the joint.

That night i ended up going to another place, the name escapes me but oh what a brilliant food experience, it only cost me 10 bucks but i got a gianormous extra-super supreme pizza, a extra large chocky malted milkshake, a side order of a mountain of fries and a large bowl of salad, oh my friggin god it was extreme, i got half way and thought, sh1t i ain't gunna finish off this sucker but i dropped a silent but deadly and burped acuppla time and finished off the job.

Comment

My greatest disappointed food experiences are almost always self inflicted.

I ain't no chef, but I am a more than decent cook. However, it can go so really horribly wrong. Always experimenting is my problem.
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
            My greatest disappointed food experiences are almost always self inflicted.

I ain't no chef, but I am a more than decent cook. However, it can go so really horribly wrong. Always experimenting is my problem.
            Well, I do enjoy cooking (though I'm constantly striving to improve).

I don't make bad meals very often but when I do, it is an absolutely terrible feeling. I hate letting the family down. Mind you, they don't demand gourmet food, but they do seem to appreciate the effort...most of the time.
            RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

The majority of mine are usually self inflicted when I try to cook something new.
              "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by philiplaos View Post
                That's easy for you to say Nick! You probably only go to foreign parts for one or two weeks a year and can easily endure the unavailability of proper food for that length of time.

The rest of the year, you are at home in No-vowel-land where I'll bet you are never more than 20 minutes away from the nearest pork pie outlet!

Why, I'll bet you can even lay your hand on a sausage roll should the need arise!

And then.......there may even be............. Cornish pasties!

Philip
                True, but I tend to go self catering and make my own stuff .

One of the most disappointing food experiences was self inflicted. Everything tasted great - roast chicken, roast spuds, stuffing, honey glazed parsnips, balsamic carrots, and a tomato/bacon/red onion chutney with a decent gravy. So far it sounds good, and tasted great. Unfortunately is was pretty much all the same colour golden or reddish brown, and the most boring to look at feast I've ever spent hours on. Now I always include other colours, green is good .
                Last edited by Nick the Noodle; 02 Dec 10, 04:06.
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I may not have updated you on this, but pork pies have finally made it to Laos. Sausage rolls, too. Thing is I've had two pork pies every day for the past three weeks and worry that I may soon tire of them. Fortunately, I can alternate between eating them with: a) baked beans, b) HP sauce and c) Branston pickle.

Downside is - Branston pickle is US$12 a jar here! What's it cost in No-vowel-land?

Philip
                  "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by philiplaos View Post
                    I may not have updated you on this, but pork pies have finally made it to Laos. Sausage rolls, too. Thing is I've had two pork pies every day for the past three weeks and worry that I may soon tire of them. Fortunately, I can alternate between eating them with: a) baked beans, b) HP sauce and c) Branston pickle.

Downside is - Branston pickle is US$12 a jar here! What's it cost in No-vowel-land?

Philip
                    About a 1 for a 520gm jar. Coincidentally I had cheese and pickle sandwich yesterday. It was lovely. I'll post you one .

PS : If you consider L's as vowels we have plenty .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X