Beer suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer suggestions

Ok, after recently turning 21 not too long ago I had the misfortune of getting too drunk and thought I should lay off drinking too much of the hard stuff so that leaves me with beer as the only other alternative besides wine. Does anybody have some good suggestions on beer that is decent but doesn't look like cow **** like some of the American beers like Miller and Budweiser which I must say I do not like anyways
    "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

and

But at your age, you should stick to the hard stuff so you don't get a beer belly. Just don't drink a lot because you really can't take as much as you think you can without becoming a dumbass.

Comment

Scott,

Until you grow some taste buds, just about everything will taste like horse urine to you. It is usually because they Pasteurize the product. Look into some microbrews from your area. I am 56 years old and I was raised on Schlitz. They changed the formula on me and it does not taste the same. Now it tastes like the others. Nowadays if I feel the need I might pick up some Heineken Dark Label. Check it out on google and try to find some cold filtered Beer.

I gave up wine at 17 when I took my girlfriend and her best friend to a Thursday Night Football game. I bought a bottle of Bali Hai and got two small cups of it. My mistake was spotting some wine on sale for 39 cents and buying it! The two Catholic School Girls drank all my wine and had a contest to see who could drink the most cheap wine. They both lost! My future wife was heard to worship at the altar of the Porcelain God several times..

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

And take up smoking. It's something to do instead of drink at bars and slow social situations.

Comment

I remember when my Brother reached 35 or so and told me he was switching to tobacco...

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

In the summer, I like to drink a light Mexican beer like Corona. In winter, I prefer a dark European beer, like Beck's Dark.

Of course Jack Daniel's is good all the time.
            "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
            Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by No_Nickname View Post
              Ok, after recently turning 21 not too long ago I had the misfortune of getting too drunk and thought I should lay off drinking too much of the hard stuff so that leaves me with beer as the only other alternative besides wine. Does anybody have some good suggestions on beer that is decent but doesn't look like cow **** like some of the American beers like Miller and Budweiser which I must say I do not like anyways
              Just experiment with all the great microbrews out there. I couldn't stand beer until I had my first Sam Adams.
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post
                And take up smoking. It's something to do instead of drink at bars and slow social situations.
                Smoking ban went into affect in WI so nobody can smoke in any public building, and I don't smoke for a reason as my lungs probably look bad enough after growing up with parents who smoke

And since I didn't know any microbrews, I googled it and find this.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ws.html?cat=22
                Last edited by No_Nickname; 10 Sep 10, 23:58.
                "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

I think smoking bans lead to increases in drunk driving. Honestly, what do you do in a lull in conversation? At many bars, you are limited to either a swig or a drag. Having a cigarette handy is cheaper than ordering another drink and it's safer for society as a whole since people who stop and wait for a cigarette are not going to get drunk or as disfunctionally drunk over the same period of time and they can save a few bucks per extra drink they are not ordering while they smoke.

Comment

Picking a beer depends largely on your tastes.

There are two major differences in beer types.

Ale - Top fermented at cooler room temperatures
                    Lager - Bottom fermented at refrigerator temperatures

Almost all macro brews are lagers. The major US brewers also take a lot of cost cutting measures in their beer production. Rice is used to cut the amount of grain needed in major US breweries. They are fine if you are looking to smash back a dozen but it's much nicer to enjoy 3 or 4 good brews that actually please the pallete.

If you are serious about sampling different beer types, I would suggest finding a local micro brewery. If you don't have one or can't be bothered to find it, a good liquor store will have micro brew on hand.

My personal favorite type of beer is India Pale Ale (IPA). It's a lighter beer with a sharp hoppy taste that is almost bitter at the tip of the tongue.

Look for DogFish Head Brewery 60 Minute IPA (Or if you are REALLY brave try the 90 Minute IPA), Stone IPA, or Bells Two Hearted Ale.

However, what would probably be best for you is to pick up a Samuel Adams variety 12 pack. They have 6 different types of beer for you to choose from. If you like a certain style more than others, look for local brews of that type.

Ben
                    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Leftie View Post
                      Picking a beer depends largely on your tastes.

There are two major differences in beer types.

Ale - Top fermented at cooler room temperatures
                      Lager - Bottom fermented at refrigerator temperatures

Almost all macro brews are lagers. The major US brewers also take a lot of cost cutting measures in their beer production. Rice is used to cut the amount of grain needed in major US breweries. They are fine if you are looking to smash back a dozen but it's much nicer to enjoy 3 or 4 good brews that actually please the pallete.

If you are serious about sampling different beer types, I would suggest finding a local micro brewery. If you don't have one or can't be bothered to find it, a good liquor store will have micro brew on hand.

My personal favorite type of beer is India Pale Ale (IPA). It's a lighter beer with a sharp hoppy taste that is almost bitter at the tip of the tongue.

Look for DogFish Head Brewery 60 Minute IPA (Or if you are REALLY brave try the 90 Minute IPA), Stone IPA, or Bells Two Hearted Ale.

However, what would probably be best for you is to pick up a Samuel Adams variety 12 pack. They have 6 different types of beer for you to choose from. If you like a certain style more than others, look for local brews of that type.

Ben
                      Some good advice from Ben. Other microbreweries offer sample packs as well. And they often offer sample packs of seasonal brews.
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

local beer, cigars and women..

Don't smoke cigarettes.They're nasty, bad for you, make you look cheap and low life, smell acrid, and generally are not appreciated by most women.
                        Cigars, on the other hand are MUCH more elegant, smell better, make you look like you've just broken the bank at MonteCarlo and attract a far better class of women.
                        As for beer, be careful, young man , of how much you drink. Unless you have a very active lifestyle, those extra calories and carbs are going to find a home just north of your privates and south of your ribs and THAT, my friend, is a definite turn off to the better grade of female. Someone suggested trying local microbrews. An excellent idea in my opinion. Always try the local brew wherever you may be. (While in Cancun forget the Dos Equis, Heineken, or Corona and find where they serve the local Montejo beer.)
                        GOODLUCK on your quest.

ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

If you're drinking to get drunk, get used to getting sick.

I agree with Ben. Go with an IPA and sip it. Enjoy the flavors; don't chug it.

If you drink hard liquor, don't use sweet mixers. Develop a taste for whiskeys, tequilas, vodkas, etc. Sip them neat, chilled or on the rocks. Enjoy the drink more than the drinking.
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Brew your own! That way, you can experiment and control the ingredients to suit your particular taste. The basics of brewing beer (or indeed making wine) are surprisingly simple. At its simplest level, beer is just water, malt extract, sugar and yeast. Then, other ingredients can be added to improve the taste. Fruit juices can be turned into wine simply by adding a few grains of yeast.

Philip
                            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE UP SMOKING. It is a dirty habit and danged difficult to quit. Quitting was the hardest thing I've ever done, and I was a skinny kid who went through Airborne training. The first few days of no tobacco I wanted to kill someone, and it didn't matter who.

Besides, as expensive as the taxes are on cigarettes, you probably wouldn't want to anyway.
                              "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                              Groucho Marx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X