Healthy recipes please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy recipes please.

We've decided that we will have one meal a day where we sit down as a family. I'm looking for ideas for healthy but tasty meals. Spag bol is good example as I add an equal amount of veg to meat. The veg is tomatoes (unsurprisingly), onions, garlic, carrot and celery. Sometimes peppers as well. The veg add vitamins A, C and E, the meat B and once you have cheese as well, you get D. The cheese and red meat also adds many minerals.

A Greek salad (varient) of red onion, yellow pepper, cucumber, tomato, olives, cheese and hard boiled eggs also contains most of what your body's daily needs.

Ideas for tasty healthy recipes anyone, especially ones my young sprogs will enjoy ?

Thanks in advance .
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Where are your leafy greens?
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Here's a good one for an appetizer for the meal.

Use Roma tomatoes, white onions, serrano peppers, limes and Lawry's seaon salt.
      Dice the tomatoes, chop the onions, cut the cerranos in slim circles or chop them and put them all in a bowl. Then put Lawry's season salt over the all of those and then squeeze lime juice over it and mix it all together. Eat with tortilla chips.
      The serrano peppers are loaded with Vitamin C. Tomatoes are good for you as well as onions. Limes have Vitamin C as well. The only thing that is probably bad is the tortilla chips, but it's a great appetizer with good food. The serrano peppers have a good kick to them too if you like spicy food.

Comment

Recipe
        Pad Thai

Published: April 16, 2010

Time: 25 minutes
        The Minimalist: Pad Thai, an Easy Stir-Fry (April 21, 2010)

4 ounces fettuccine-width rice stick noodles

1/4 cup peanut oil

2 to 4 tablespoons tamarind paste

1/4 cup fish sauce (nam pla)

1/3 cup honey

2 tablespoons rice vinegar

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste

1/4 cup chopped scallions

1 garlic clove, minced

2 eggs

1 small head Napa cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)

1 cup mung bean sprouts

1/2 pound peeled shrimp, pressed tofu or a combination

1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

2 limes, quartered.

1. Put noodles in a large bowl and add boiling water to cover. Let sit until noodles are just tender; check every 5 minutes or so to make sure they do not get too soft. Drain, drizzle with one tablespoon peanut oil to keep from sticking and set aside. Meanwhile, put tamarind paste, fish sauce, honey and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and bring just to a simmer. Stir in red pepper flakes and set aside.

2. Put remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; when oil shimmers, add scallions and garlic and cook for about a minute. Add eggs to pan; once they begin to set, scramble them until just done. Add cabbage and bean sprouts and continue to cook until cabbage begins to wilt, then add shrimp or tofu (or both).

3. When shrimp begin to turn pink and tofu begins to brown, add drained noodles to pan along with sauce. Toss everything together to coat with tamarind sauce and combine well. When noodles are warmed through, serve, sprinkling each dish with peanuts and garnishing with cilantro and lime wedges.

Yield: 4 servings.

[I use slightly less honey and use 50% Shrimp/50% Tofu. Nobody knock the tofu. Food's good and he said he wanted healthy. Tofu = healthy]
        Last edited by Cicero; 15 May 10, 03:19.

Comment

Go seasonal is my recomendation. At the moment its the asparagus season so I recommend that. It gives you a real sense of what season is at the moment, its tasty because its not grown in some lab (that kind of vegetable always taste like flavored water imo) and you can get it at the farmers market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asparagus#Culinary
          Ha, wie so stolz und hehr
          Wirft über Land und Meer
          Weithin der deutsche Aar
          Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
            Where are your leafy greens?
            Whole garden full of spring greens and cabbages - not a problem .

Some excellent suggestions here . Shellfish is currently off the menu due to sprogs, but when the missus is away will have a go. Love the appetizer. May have that tonight .
            Last edited by Nick the Noodle; 15 May 10, 06:32.
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Plant a Victory Garden and rely less on the commercially grown veggies that are overpriced, grown with heavy use of irrigation, pesticides, and herbicides, picked by illegal immigrants, often imported from South America, and have to be washed in chlorinated water in order to kill the e-coli germs contamination that can make you sick.

Rhubarb is now in season as well.

Both rhubarb and asparagus are items easy to grow in your Victory Garden.

Asparagus can be started from seeds. Pick the seed in the fall, find the ones the bugs haven't been in, and let dry all winter. In the spring, remove from the pods, soak in water 24 hours and plant in peat pots. When several inches tall, transplant to their permanent location. If you can keep the grass and weeds out of the patch, the asparagus will do much better. Note, it will take three years of growing before you can harvest a crop from it.

Rhubarb is best grown by digging up an existing plant, dividing it up and planting it in a new location. You should be able to harvest some of it later that year.

Strawberries can be started from seed, avoid seed from China, or from plants transplanted. You need a fair amount of room for the plants to run all over.

Snow peas, climbing string beans, tomatoes, pickles, all like fences to climb on which takes less room to grow them. Radisnes can be grown to harvest in 4 weeks. Plant them between other crops that need more room later in the season. Carrots, beats, cabbage, lattice, onions, etc... take little room. Plant squash if you have lots of space. Spaghetti squash is unique in that you can serve it with meatballs and sauce just like the pasta dish

Even with limited room, you can always plant the patio variants of tomatoes and several other veggies.

You can always plant apples, pear, cherry, plum, peach trees in the front or back yard.
              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Interessting that you guys have such a patriotic name for something as mundane as a vegetable garden.

Absolutely agree on the Rhubarb. In fact I'll bake a Rhubarb cake today, topped with Meringue. Delicious.

Cut the rhubarb into 1cm big pieces, fill into a bowl, give some sugar (2 Table spoons should suffice for about 1kg of rhubarb) to it and let sit for the night. This draws out the bitterness and some of the water (molecular diffusion with a semi-permeable membrane) which makes sure that the dough is not a watery mess.
                Make some ordinary cake batter for dough. put dough at bottom, then rhubarb without the juice) and put into the oven at 175°C for about half an hour. then add the Meringue and let bake for another quarter an hour. Make sure to use enough sugar on the meringue, this creates those delicious pearls and draw it a bit up with a fork.

I think the juices are good for something... like the skin or eye colour or something like that. just give them to your wife/gf. They are kind of bitter.
                You obviously can add some honey to it ... if you're a girl.

My favorite sweets is quite healthy too... take some flour, add a bit of salt, water and milk until its a somewhat watery batter (no eggs). heat up pan with oil or better yet clarified butter and cut up bananas and pineapple. put batter into pan, let spread and fastly add banana or pineapple pieces. bake until brown, turn around. put on plate and add lots and lots of honey to it. if you feel like it also some fine coconut pieces. tastes like that chinese deep fried banana and is much more healthy. also it kind of filling due to the flour. more honey means more deliciousness. i think its from india. The batter without the fruits has a horrible taste but all the fruits and honey mean that you cant taste it.

With a bit of training you can make them fast enough that you dont have to look for candy bars in the comercial breaks and can do these instead.
                Last edited by Kimi; 15 May 10, 08:08.
                Wirft über Land und Meer
                Weithin der deutsche Aar
                Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  We've decided that we will have one meal a day where we sit down as a family. I'm looking for ideas for healthy but tasty meals.
                  Ideas for tasty healthy recipes anyone, especially ones my young sprogs will enjoy ?
                  Kids and grown-ups like macaroni and cheese.
                  Calcium etc.

Little sausages.

frozen vegetables.
                  stuff is good, man.
                  I'm serious.

Milk, diet soda, juice, V-8 maybe.
                  Dessert? Cookies, fruit cocktail, graham crackers, cold pizza...
                  Don't forget condiments.
                  I think President Reagan said ketchup was a vegetable.
                  Mustard is non-fattening.
                  Salsa, hot sause, horseradish is a root, relish is pickles...

Thanks in advance
                  Dang man, no problem.
                  It's like Olive Garden Restaurant in here.
                  We're family.
                  "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

"Interessting that you guys have such a patriotic name for something as mundane as a vegetable garden. "

It is a holdover from WW2 when people in the United States were encouraged to grow and preserve their own vegetables so that the commercially grown ones could be used to supply the war effort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_garden
                    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

We've just started a victory garden . We have three large boxes (2.4x1.2m), one for spring greens/cabbages, one for salads and one for root veg such as carrots. We have also planted strawberries, raspberries and blueberries since my son eats them like there is no tomorrow. We intend tomatoes, peppers and chillis as well (next year) as we spend a fortune on these. Those should give our ACE vitamins in spades (the perfect gardening term in this case) .

Thats the plan anyway .

I don't like rhubarb or asparagus .

I have no problems with frozen or certain tinned veg .

One other healthy dish we often have are tuna fishcakes - tuna (duh), potato, scallions and sweetcorn are the main ingredients so fairly healthy. Rather than fry you can wipe the outside with a just a tad of melted butter and then grill - scrumptious, cheap and easy .

Comment

Work out the amounts on how many you are feeding but it's really a recipe that is done by eye.

1/4 some cherry tomatoes
                        1/2 some black olives
                        cut up some anchovies

Cook some linguine and drain

Mix it all together and add some basil, olive oil and parmisan cheese.

It takes about ten minutes and tastes great. My three kids clean the plate.
                        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

I don't like rhubarb or asparagus .
                          Think about the children!!

Hmm... speaking of the little ones, i had today for dinner grilled sausages (made in a pan) with potatoe mash and peas+carrots vegetable. sausages should be clear, its the part that draws the little ones in. Then you hit them with mashed potatoes (i only add salt, pepper, milk and nutmegg to the mashed potatoes) and the peas+carrots for the vitamines and minerals. for the peas+carrots just take some frozen peas and put them in a pot with a bit of water. add cut carrot slices (make them so that they get done in the time the peas are defrosted and cooked). cook them together. when done add a bit of salt some sugar (bout a tea spoon) and a bit butter. stirr and then add lots of parsley.

I usually add curry powder to the ketchup (called currywurst over here). its somewhat healthy and a better side dish to grilled meat than fried potatoes.

Also, theres way too few pictures of food in this sub-forum, I must salute Slug who carries the flag all alone.

one pic shows the aforementioned cake, the other one the peas+carrots, albeit with a delicious bunny and spätzle.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Kimi; 15 May 10, 17:39.
                          Wirft über Land und Meer
                          Weithin der deutsche Aar
                          Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimi View Post
                            Also, theres way too few pictures of food in this sub-forum, I must salute Slug who carries the flag all alone.
                            This is a saturday favourite, a healthy take on fast food .

Comment

KIMI

German ketchup is loaded with sugar. Hardly all that healthy.

Nick a good pot of home made vegtable soup is hard to beat for healthy food. Not much you can't put into it or leave out and it well always taste great. We made some today, all 16 qts.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X