Good News for Potato Chip Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News for Potato Chip Fans

If only it tastes the same. From the online WSJ today: 2010 PepsiCo Develops 'Designer Salt' to Chip Away at Sodium Intake

Later this month, at a pilot manufacturing plant here, PepsiCo Inc. plans to start churning out batches of a secret new ingredient to make its Lay's potato chips healthier.

The ingredient is a new "designer salt" whose crystals are shaped and sized in a way that reduces the amount of sodium consumers ingest when they munch. PepsiCo hopes the powdery salt, which it is still studying and testing with consumers, will cut sodium levels 25% in its Lay's Classic potato chips. The new salt could help reduce sodium levels even further in seasoned Lay's chips like Sour Cream & Onion, PepsiCo said, and it could be used in other products like Cheetos and Quaker bars.

At an investor conference Monday in New York, the company said it is committed to cutting its products' average sodium per serving by 25% by 2015 and saturated fat and added sugar by 15% and 25%, respectively, this decade.
    So as long as my Doritos still taste like Doritos, I say

thats great. I really enjoy lays.. and just to be clear, i'm refering to the potato chip... anyway, the problem with it is that they are too salty. So this would be a great alternative, as long as it's still tasty.

Sodium is a big problem in our food today. Ever notice the sodium content in your food? And too much salt leads to high blood pressure other health problems.

Suzie

Comment

Feh, I say! Give me the old salty, greasy Wise chips any day over some of these new designer chips!
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by sunny971 View Post
        thats great. I really enjoy lays.. and just to be clear, i'm refering to the potato chip... anyway, the problem with it is that they are too salty. So this would be a great alternative, as long as it's still tasty.

Sodium is a big problem in our food today. Ever notice the sodium content in your food? And too much salt leads to high blood pressure other health problems.

Suzie
        If you can still find them, locally made potato chips are the best tasting.

If you were to closely look at the sodium content of processed foods today, plain ordinary table salt, sodium chloride, makes up only a small percentage of that sodium overload that is only part of the cause of the blood pressure epidemic faced by the overweight inactive public today.

The entire issue will soon be another excuse for Government meddling under the guise of reducing health care cost, "For Our Own Good and Well Being."

Now, for a nice piece of smoked herring if you can still find it at the local meat market. Each ounce consumed will blow your recommended daily sodium intake by 140%. You can always make your own. You will need a pound of salt for each pound of herring. http://homecooking.about.com/od/seaf.../r/blsea95.htm

The smelt will soon be running. http://www.upfishing.com/smelt_run.html

Eventually, you will need to stock up on salt as a barter item. Get the trace mineralize variety and store it in a dry location. If the usual supply of table salt becomes unavailable, you can always go to a farm store and buy one of those 50 pound trace mineral pure salt blocks for a couple of bucks. It should last for a lifetime.
        Last edited by SRV Ron; 23 Mar 10, 07:12.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I've always enjoyed potato chips without salt. We get them locally under a store brand. After eating the unsalted variety, salted chips are way too intense for me...
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
            /seafoodrecipes/r/blsea95.htm[/URL]

Eventually, you will need to stock up on salt as a barter item. Get the trace mineralize variety and store it in a dry location. If the usual supply of table salt becomes unavailable, you can always go to a farm store and buy one of those 50 pound trace mineral pure salt blocks for a couple of bucks. It should last for a lifetime.
            Never going to happen. Besides, there's always Kosher salt.
            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
              Never going to happen. Besides, there's always Kosher salt.
              Kosher salt is still about 50% sodium. It's only differences from table salt is that it is unprocessed ground up rock salt. Given how environmentalist are trying to eliminate the use of rock salt for snow and ice removal, it may become hard to find in the future as well.

Agree that most potato chip brands are way over-salted. You do need the salt for flavoring but not the excessive amount that some manufacturer use in the process.

As always, the free market is the best regulator, not the feel good ruling of some bureaucrat from the Federal Government.
              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

What about sea salt? Anyway we need SOME sodium, just use less salt on your food and avoid the over salty industrial foods.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X