Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolley
    replied
    There were so many people at Mom's house for Christmas dinner that there were no leftovers except some ham, rolls and butter! Slug finished the ham on a midnight kitchen raid. Needless to say, I wanted some turkey so I'm baking one right now for a late lunch today, Robin wanted ambrosia, Slug wanted more ham, so here we are having the full Christmas dinner on repeat! At least we'll have leftovers for the next few days...unless our son brings his friends over.

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    I saw the brining method on the Butterball website.I've been using the method for years for my corn on the cob.Soak the unhusked ears for a few hours or overnight in a strong salt and sugar solution,then wrap(leave the husks on) in foil and cook on the upper rack of the grill for about 45 minutes.

Nothing extra was necessary to make that Butterball I cooked tastier or juicer.I came out perfect.It might just have been the juiciest turkey I ever had.It tasted so good.As far as injecting is concerned,I regularly inject Oven-Stuffer Roasters and London Broils,but I didn't do anything like that with this turkey.I think that because I used a fresh turkey also made a big difference.

I hope everyone else's Christmas feasts were as filling and enjoyable as mine.

Leave a comment:

• joea
    replied
    Local organic turkey, brussels sprouts, squash and stuffing. We tried something different this year, we soaked the turkey in a brine solution, well brine and apple pieces, peppercorns, cinnamon and some other stuff I can't remember overnight. Made the turkey very juicy and tasty without buying an artificially injected butterball. California and BC wine to boot, bought an excellent Geneva red for yesterday's steak supper and some limoncello for dessert. The Xmas cookies were Greek though, kourebedes (shortbread) and melomakarona (honey dipped cookies).

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    bon apetite

Been a rough year so we kept it simple. Corned eye-of-round with our favorite vegies, flaky biscuits, and slab of cheese cake.

Have a great Christmas everyone.

Leave a comment:

• llkinak
    replied
    10 pounds of delicious rock salt encrusted prime rib.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Originally posted by ELLE View Post
    No,Can't say I have,but I have heard about mars bar in deepfry Batter.
    Elle, a Butterball is brand of turkey famous for being injected with butter. It is meant to keep the turkey moist when baked/roasted in an oven. Deep frying turkeys has become an American fad the last decade of so, being very dangerous and sometime starting a massive oil fire that can burn down a house. I was wondering if the injected butter might make a Butterball turkey even more dangerous than a normal turkey.

Yes, the Mars bar is sometimes fried, along with just about anything that is bad for you.

Leave a comment:

• Heidi
    replied
    Anyone ever deepfry a Butterball?
    No,Can't say I have,but I have heard about mars bar in deepfry Batter.

I'm making nothing. My sister and I pitch in money 50-50 and we buy Christmas food
    My style of thinking,there ist more important thing to do than cook on Christmas day.

Leave a comment:

• Kimi
    replied
    We had Lobster and italian Frutti di Mare salad as anti pasti followed by Quiche lorraine and a bit of bread and cheese to finish.

Tomorrow will be lamp and the day after Turkey.

Also every day will see a large breakfast with various smoked fish, bread cheese and meat like wild boar cut. Oh and for in between Stollen, Nut-cake, butter cookies, Lebkuchen etc. We then cerimoniously explode with a piece of peppermint-choclate.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kimi; 24 Dec 09, 15:30.

Leave a comment:

• MonsterZero
    replied
    I'm making nothing. My sister and I pitch in money 50-50 and we buy Christmas food from a Polish deli. We celebrate and eat at my sister's. Our parents live in Poland.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Anyone ever deepfry a Butterball?

Leave a comment:

• johnbryan
    replied
    We'll have a houseful of people, so I'll be cooking a boneless ham, plus a medium-rare, bottom round roast beef for our Christmas main dishes. We'll also have candied sweet potatoes, garlic and horse radish mashed potatoes, an au-jus gravy, a green bean casserole, kernel corn, plus corn bread and a multi-vegetable tossed salad.

That doesn't even speak about the desserts afterwards. Merry Christmas everyone!!

Leave a comment:

• Cicero
    replied
    Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    My wife makes awesome chili rellenos... But her tamales are even better... Especially the Oaxaca cheese & jalapeno tamales.

She'll usually make 4 different types of tamales:
    Carnitos (shredded pork w/ ancho chili paste).
    Cheese & jalapeno.
    Refried beans.
    Raisins & nuts (sweet tamales).

I'm not allowed to help... Or even be in the kitchen till it's time to clean up...
    Oh yeah...That's the good Stuff!!

Leave a comment:

• johnbryan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
    Just picked up the main course.It's a 24lb fresh Butterball turkey.I've never done this before,so any suggestions on making sure it's nice and juicy?
    Just follow the directions on its label and you can't go wrong. Butterball turkeys are infused with a butter/margarine, plus turkey stock solution to keep the meat moist. It makes the cooking practically fool-proof.

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Just picked up the main course.It's a 24lb fresh Butterball turkey.I've never done this before,so any suggestions on making sure it's nice and juicy?

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
    Not my favorite. Now if you were making chili rellenos I might drop in for bite.
    My wife makes awesome chili rellenos... But her tamales are even better... Especially the Oaxaca cheese & jalapeno tamales.

She'll usually make 4 different types of tamales:
    Carnitos (shredded pork w/ ancho chili paste).
    Cheese & jalapeno.
    Refried beans.
    Raisins & nuts (sweet tamales).

I'm not allowed to help... Or even be in the kitchen till it's time to clean up...

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X