Chips/Fries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chips/Fries

I am going to be asked many important questions by my children as they get older .

How do you make the best chips? will be one.

I married a Belgian so I have a fairly good guess on the best chip imo . However new ideas are alsways welcome .

I'm looking for best potato, best fat to cook it in, best temperature, perhaps cooking twice at different temperatures etc.

As usual this type of thread will be best imo but that is fine .

So best chip/fry? Best or even bought ?
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

I like using Russet whenever possible.I love making homefries,which are just potatoes cut up into small cubes and pyramids and deep fried.I also make seasoned potatoes in the oven with onions and other seasoning,lightly coated with oil.The great thing about fries,is you really can't go wrong.
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Here is a recipe by "Heston Blumenthal". It is rather involved and includes freezing the potatoes first and cooking in 3 different stages. If you decide to try it, let us know how it turns out. http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Triple-Cooked_Chips.aspx
      "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
      "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
      — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

My best advise would be continue your research in Belgium. As you (IMO rightly) indicated, Belgians are the true masters of frying, using 'Ossewit' and what have you. When you're already in Belgium no need to look outside on this issue.
        Enjoy your 'frieten' by the way
        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

When making chips or fries, the variety of potato used is the most important ingredient.

Here is a good source about potatoes and which variety are best for what you are cooking. http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-ti...t-potatoes.asp
          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

My Cajun Mother-in-law did a great job on French Fried Potatoes. Father-in-law had a truck garden so as soon as the potatoes were big enough to dig, we would get a couple of pounds and peel them, cut them, then dump them in Louanna Cooking Oil (cotton seed oil). Combine this with hamburger steaks (patties for you non-Americans) and you have something that makes you want to slap your Momma for not thinking of it first! I had to convince them to deep fry mine a little longer, but either way they were GOOD! My Father-in-law has been dead now for 20 years and his daughter has been my ex for 10, but I still remember those fries fondly. By the way that same Mother-in-law introduced me to eggs and rice. I can make them on my own!

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              My Cajun Mother-in-law did a great job on French Fried Potatoes. Father-in-law had a truck garden so as soon as the potatoes were big enough to dig, we would get a couple of pounds and peel them, cut them, then dump them in Louanna Cooking Oil (cotton seed oil). Combine this with hamburger steaks (patties for you non-Americans) and you have something that makes you want to slap your Momma for not thinking of it first! I had to convince them to deep fry mine a little longer, but either way they were GOOD! My Father-in-law has been dead now for 20 years and his daughter has been my ex for 10, but I still remember those fries fondly. By the way that same Mother-in-law introduced me to eggs and rice. I can make them on my own!

Pruitt
              Whats the difference in taste between cotton seed oil and a regular vegetable oil?

Beef dripping is probably the best for taste I would expect .
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Nick,

Over here we can use different types of cooking oil. Most people use a soy bean based cooking oil. I even use olive oil to coat my rice pot. I think the taste is slightly sweet compared to soy oil. I grew up on soy cooking oil so the change was different. When I was very little people still used Crisco which I believe used animal fat. Most people switched to healthier oils.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  Whats the difference in taste between cotton seed oil and a regular vegetable oil?

Beef dripping is probably the best for taste I would expect .

I think I like bacon fat the best.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Best fries

At a roadside stand in the south of France.

Fries in Germany are good as are they in the US.

Far away the worst are those that I've had in Jolly ole England and the worst were in Germany served up by a UK Army unit in Garmisch on a camping trip. Dripping fat and still soggy. Nothing crisp about them. The fish they had wasn't any better. I still thank them for the invite

HPJ
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSennef View Post
                      My best advise would be continue your research in Belgium. As you (IMO rightly) indicated, Belgians are the true masters of frying, using 'Ossewit' and what have you. When you're already in Belgium no need to look outside on this issue.
                      Enjoy your 'frieten' by the way
                      Do you use irradiated potatoes in Europe?
                      17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                        I think I like bacon fat the best.
                        Good choice , but I find that best for frying beef mince (ground beef) .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X