X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Marengo: Napoleon Day 2 Dec 1804

2 December 1804 Napoleon declared himself Emperor

Chicken Marengo

The Battle Marengo was an important victory for Napoleon. He named his horse after the battle and even used the name to coin a new monetary unit. His chef created this recipe on the battlefield, using food he pilfered from a local farmer, and served it immediately after the battle was won. Napoleon enjoyed it so much that it became the dish he ate after every victory.
    Ingredients (serves 6)

* 1 chicken
    * 4 tomatoes
    * 2 cloves garlic
    * 1 white onion
    * 1 cup white wine
    * meat broth to taste
    * 18 fresh water shrimp
    * 6 eggs
    * crostini to taste
    * 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    * salt and pepper to taste
    * parsley to taste

Preparation

Remove the skin from the tomatoes (leave them a few seconds in boiling water); cut into quarters and remove the insides.

Wash the chicken pieces then dry well. Brown in a pan with the oil over a high heat. Season with salt and pepper. When the chicken pieces are golden brown, remove from the pan, draining them of oil.

In the same pan, add the peeled tomatoes, the finely sliced onion, crushed garlic and white wine. Add a ladle of broth and allow to reduce. Finally add the chicken and let it absorb the flavours of the sauce.

Cook the shrimp in a little white wine, fry the eggs and arrange the dish as follows: place the chicken and sauce in the centre of the dish and arrange the fried croutons, eggs and shrimp around the edges.
    17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Yum yum, Invite us for Dinner
    à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
    (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

Originally posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
      Yum yum, Invite us for Dinner
      Hey my son earned the cooking merit badge in Scouts. I'll let him
      do the cookin'; We'll do the eatin'
      17thAirborneSon

Comment

Darn, for a starving farmer in a war zone the hapless farmer was pretty well stocked.
        Last edited by MonsterZero; 08 Dec 09, 21:27.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

By the way, what is crostini?

Comment

Crostini are..............

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
            By the way, what is crostini?
            What are crostini?

Thin slices of lightly toasted bread, with a variety of toppings, generally patés moist enough to be easily spreadable. Though one sometimes encounters crostini made with slices of pane casalingo, Tuscan unsalted bread. More elegant Tuscan bakeries have special crostino loaves with the profiles of the suits of a deck of cards.

Bon Appétit
            17thAirborneSon

Comment

Originally posted by 17thAirborneSon View Post
              What are crostini?

Thin slices of lightly toasted bread, with a variety of toppings, generally patés moist enough to be easily spreadable. Though one sometimes encounters crostini made with slices of pane casalingo, Tuscan unsalted bread. More elegant Tuscan bakeries have special crostino loaves with the profiles of the suits of a deck of cards.

Bon Appétit
              Can I just use plain American toast bread? Also, if I go to a Jewel store, will they actually have "fresh water shrimp"? To me shrimp is shrimp. I never realized it comes in saltwater and fresh water varieties. How long do I cook shrimp in wine? I've never used anything but water for cooking...
              Last edited by MonsterZero; 13 Dec 09, 10:49.

Comment

Over the past several years, freshwater shrimp farming has become very popular in Kentucky! Fresh water will start out bland but as you add
                spices it will not tend to be overly spiced.

Surely, any bread can be substiited but what a shame no to go original!

Cook the shrimp for 1 minute, or until they are opaque throughout. Drain the shrimp on a paper towel!
                17thAirborneSon

Comment

Over the past several years, freshwater shrimp farming has become very popular in Kentucky! Fresh water will start out bland but as you add
                  spices it will not tend to be overly spiced.

Surely, any bread can be substiited but what a shame no to go original!

Cook the shrimp for 1 minute, or until they are opaque throughout. Drain the shrimp on a paper towel!
                  I want to start a diet but with such temptation, It becomes impossible. BTW have you ever try Shrimp of Crayfish Etouffé, what a delicacy.
                  Last edited by PGT Beauregard; 15 Dec 09, 05:39.
                  à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Comment

Originally posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
                    I want to start a diet but with such temptation, It becomes impossible. BTW have you ever try Shrimp of Crayfish Etouffé, what a delicacy.

http://www.justinwilson.com/

As Cajun Chef Justin Wilson would say you'll like it I GARONTEE !!!!!!!
                    17thAirborneSon

Comment

http://www.justinwilson.com/

As Cajun Chef Justin Wilson would say you'll like it I GARONTEE !!!!!!!
                      Thanks Cher, I was in Louisiana last Month and I stuffed myself with Cajun
                      Food, Oysters, crabs, shrimps, Gumbos, frog legs, Crawfishs, catfishs.
                      a good restaurant the Yellow Bowl in Jeannerette LA, I had Sauteed frogLegs with Onion and Cayenne on Toast, good lord it was great.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X