What to do with a spare cabbage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a spare cabbage?

I'm cooking Asian noodles tonight and this left me with 3/4 of a cabbage head that I have no use for anymore. I don't want to throw it out because children are starving in Ethiopia and stuff.

Are there any quick cabbage recipes I could try tomorrow? A cabbage soup perhaps? Any ideas?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

A Polish guy at loss with a cabbage?

Make a cole slaw. It is good eats.
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
      A Polish guy at loss with a cabbage?

Make a cole slaw. It is good eats.
      The "Polish Option" is bigos or hunter's stew. I never encountered cole slaw while living in Poland as it seems to be an American invention. But bigos is time consuming, has too many ingredients and it will make too much food. I already have 2 gallons of Chinese noodles to feed me for the next 5 days.

Comment

You could go japanese with Okonomiyaki (lit. "frying what you like")
        http://japanesefood.about.com/od/hol...konomiyaki.htm

The ingredients are pretty standard, except the sauce, the fish-flakes and the ao-nori. But you can store them for a long time in the fridge if you want to do it again.

Other than that I'd recommend cabbage salad. Goes great with Döner Kebab or Gyros.
        Ha, wie so stolz und hehr
        Wirft über Land und Meer
        Weithin der deutsche Aar
        Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
          I'm cooking Asian noodles tonight and this left me with 3/4 of a cabbage head that I have no use for anymore. I don't want to throw it out because children are starving in Ethiopia and stuff.

Are there any quick cabbage recipes I could try tomorrow? A cabbage soup perhaps? Any ideas?
          Make some corned beef with it. Corned beef and cabbage, yum.

Comment

Send it to Ethiopia.Overnight shipping of course.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Just hit it with a little real butter and salt. Cover and nuke' it in the microwave until it reaches whatever tenderness level you seek. It makes a great side dish. The butter and salt bring out the sweetness of the cabbage.
              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

You can add cabbage to whatever soup that's cooking on the stove. It is a very versatile vegegetable.
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                  The drama of the spare cabbage continues today as I still haven't figured out what to do with it.
                  Last edited by MonsterZero; 11 Nov 09, 13:02.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                    The drama of the spare cabbage continues today as I still haven't figured out what to do with it.
                    Stir-fry the cabbage with chopped onions and soy sauce. But start with the onions first and then add the cabbage.

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                    Damnit Gixxer, what are you trying to do? By sending the cabbage to Ethiopia, he will dissuade Ethiopians from planting their own cabbage!!

Comment

Shred it but it in a clay crock and bury it in you yard. Wait until spring and then toss it into the garbage or give it a try, it might taste pretty good. Kim chi

Korean. a spicy pickled or fermented mixture containing cabbage, onions, and sometimes fish, variously seasoned, as with garlic, horseradish, red peppers, and ginger.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Fry it up with some potatoes, onions, and smoked sausage. You can alternate eating that with the asian noodles for the next few days.

Dang, now I need to buy some cabbage!
                        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

eat it raw as in a salad, or, use the individual leaves to roll tuna salad in...it's very good that way and better than any overnight laxative...
                          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

hmmmm Cabbage Rolls? (Kobloshi?) they freeze up well too if you don't want to nosh on them right away.

The you have time to make some varenyky and Koubasa to go with them
                            BoRG
                            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                              Make some corned beef with it. Corned beef and cabbage, yum.
                              I'd second this!
                              [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X