Really good, affordable whiskey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really good, affordable whiskey?

Some dude at work told me to get a bottle of real Scotch for $300/bottle. I forgot the brand name. No way, I'd rather buy a PS3.

You know how they had an international vodka contest and Grey Goose from France won top prizes? Do we have a similar award system for whiskeys?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

8 year or 12 year or..........?
    The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

• Evan Williams
      • Early Times
      • Jim Beam
      • Wild Turkey
      • Maker's Mark
      • Old Granddad
      Just ta name a few... I'm sure other's will agree or disagree but...
      Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

I saw a bottle of Johnny Walker, 'Green' I think, with a price tag of over $300.

I gave it a miss.

John

PS,

A bottle of Penfolds 'Grange Hermitage' Shiraz will set you back well over $400 a bottle on the day of release, and a 10 year old one will cost you maybe twice that.
        The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
          Some dude at work told me to get a bottle of real Scotch for $300/bottle.
          I'm rather fond of Glen Parker as a budget single malt scotch.

http://www.globalwhiskyshop.com/glen...cl-p-9506.html

However this critic hated it: http://whiskylounge.hember.name/2008...live-king.html

Glenfidich 12 year old is probably the most widely available reasonably priced scotch.

Comment

In this area Mark, any good bottle of single malt scotch is gonna be at least $30/bottle unless you find it on sale of course. My personal favorite right now is Oban

but at around $50-$70 per bottle depending where you get it and if on sale it can be a bit more than you would be willing to spend. The main reason it is my everday now is that I still have 6 bottles of it left from my wedding. Was a special order for a single malt scotch toast instead of champaign.

I also really like Edradour's products. Their baseline single malt is a nice 10 yr old.

It generally runs about $55-60 per bottle.
            If you are a little braver they have an 11 yr old Straight From the Cask that is finished in a Bordeaux cask and is actually cheaper at about $40/bottle.
            Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post
              I saw a bottle of Johnny Walker, 'Green' I think, with a price tag of over $300.

I gave it a miss.

John

PS,

A bottle of Penfolds 'Grange Hermitage' Shiraz will set you back well over $400 a bottle on the day of release, and a 10 year old one will cost you maybe twice that.
              Even the Johnny Walker Blue Label King George V Special Edition at $500/bottle is still a blended whiskey which in my book rates it as not worth drinking. Mind you that is strictly an opinion of a single malt snob though!!
              Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

My dad drinks VO. I think it's a Canadian whiskey. not sure about the price, but if my dad drinks it can't be too expensive...
                I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post

I gave it a miss.

John

PS,

Johnny Walker Green retails for about $50 US.
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                    Johnny Walker Green retails for about $50 US.

That's about the same as a Glenfidich 12 reserve costs here.

Never checked it, I'm not a high priced-blended type, but I guess that over here the green label will go at around 200$ easily...

Comment

Originally posted by GhostSoldier View Post
                      • Evan Williams
                      • Early Times
                      • Jim Beam
                      • Wild Turkey
                      • Maker's Mark
                      • Old Granddad
                      Just ta name a few... I'm sure other's will agree or disagree but...
                      George Dickel
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post

That's about the same as a Glenfidich 12 reserve costs here.

Never checked it, I'm not a high priced-blended type, but I guess that over here the green label will go at around 200$ easily...
                        12 Reserve sells for about $29. 12 International sells for about $79. But that is all that cheap stuff.

Here is a real Glenfiddich...$2954.99:

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I don't know what 12 international is, never heard of it, I only know reserve and Coran.

The reserve sells at about 40-50$ at the duty free here, at a liqueur store it goes around 150-200$.....

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                            George Dickel
                            When it comes to liquor, I am a whisky man, specifically bourbon. Bourbon...straight outta Kentucky. Not real fond of the "Tennessee" variety and it's been so long since I've had any I plain forgot why I didn't like it, but when I developed my palette enough to be able to "shoot" liqour and hold it down, it was bourbon for me.

I'm not real fond of the canadian style blends, or other blends, and light whiskies that incorporate the neutral spirits. I can drink 'em but they're not my preference.

I like the smooth,medium body of a nice mellow slightly aged bourbon.

Bourbon.... Ahhhhh.

Bartender, sir...another round for me & my friends. Cheers.
                            Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostSoldier View Post
                              When it comes to liquor, I am a whisky man, specifically bourbon. Bourbon...straight outta Kentucky. Not real fond of the "Tennessee" variety and it's been so long since I've had any I plain forgot why I didn't like it, but when I developed my palette enough to be able to "shoot" liqour and hold it down, it was bourbon for me.

I'm not real fond of the canadian style blends, or other blends, and light whiskies that incorporate the neutral spirits. I can drink 'em but they're not my preference.

I like the smooth,medium body of a nice mellow slightly aged bourbon.

Bourbon.... Ahhhhh.

Bartender, sir...another round for me & my friends. Cheers.
                              I was a fan of bourbon, only. Then a good ole GA boy brought a bottle of Dickel on a canoe tour. He brought it out on the second day and ask if I wanted a sip. WAR, I took a sip, then a big swallow then he wanted it back. We agreed to a an finished it off with the others on the tour that evening over a nice little fire.

Give it a try. Small bottles aren't that expensive.

I'm with you on the blends. NO thank you!
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X