Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who the heck invented the dirty martini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose50
    replied
    ...'of all the gin-joints in all the world she hadda drop into mine..'

What Mark just said...there are only two types of proper martini, a 'dry' martini and a 'perfect'(aka 'pink') martini..both are made with gin as the primary spirit.

Leave a comment:

• mjhbuckeye
    replied
    With apologies to James Bond (shaken, not stirred) and a few other folks here, calling a drink in which the primary alcohol is not gin a martini is a travesty. Give it some other stupid name, but to suffer the idignity of ordering a martini and being asked by the bartender what alcohol to use is almost too much to tolerate.

Leave a comment:

• Arthwys
    replied
    Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    I've just recently "discovered" Single Malt Scotch. I had never been a fan of whiskeys before I tried Glenlivet... Now I have a new expensive hobby...
    Indeed! Welcome to the Club Doc

I find it's an investment but worth it. After all the water-of-life never goes bad as long as you keep the Cork in. If you like glenlivet, you might want to try Lagavulin, their 16 yearold is nice and the 21 ( if you have the $$) is heavenly.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
    I found that Gin is generally a Masochistic alcohol, but then some of us need punishing.

Gin and tonic is my preferred way of drinking it when I do, but I sometimes have Martinis when I'm in a sour mood.

On the whole I prefer Single Malt and my McEwans Scotch Ale
    I've just recently "discovered" Single Malt Scotch. I had never been a fan of whiskeys before I tried Glenlivet... Now I have a new expensive hobby...

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I'm with Admiral...all attempts to improve good liquor are a waste of time and energy. Above all, fruits and vegetables should be kept away from honest drinks. Throw some crushed ice into that mess and you've got a Martini Marguerita, a horrible concept.
    Actually a Martini Margarita isn't bad. It's basically a good Tequila, an orange liqueur (like Patron Citronage) and a squeeze of lime juice, shaken over ice.

Now if we're talking good liquor - like Scotch or Cognac - I agree. Neat is the only way to go...
    "When I drink water, I drink water. When I drink whisky, I drink whisky!"

--Barry Fitzgerald as Michaleen Oge Flynn in The Quiet Man

Leave a comment:

• Arthwys
    replied
    I never got the hang of Gin Martinis... I love Tanqueray & Tonic... But I've never really liked the taste of straight Gin.
    I found that Gin is generally a Masochistic alcohol, but then some of us need punishing.

Gin and tonic is my preferred way of drinking it when I do, but I sometimes have Martinis when I'm in a sour mood.

On the whole I prefer Single Malt and my McEwans Scotch Ale

Leave a comment:

• Jose50
    replied
    ...it's got to be REALLY cold...

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
    A shaken Martini will bruise the Gin ( if you've got gin in it) but also helps to water the drink down (alcohol melting the Ice in the shaker)

A gentle Stirring will keep it strong but if you're worried about too much 'dirt' use a teaspoon to pull up your olives and on the last ( of 3) let the brine in the spoon go in as well, just make sure your first two olive pulls are dry.
    I never got the hang of Gin Martinis... I love Tanqueray & Tonic... But I've never really liked the taste of straight Gin.

Leave a comment:

• Jose50
    replied
    ...I prefer my martini to be the traditional one,,,
    4 oz of a very good dry British gin (Bombay, Beefeater's, Tanqueray, etc)
    acknowledgement of the dry vermouth bottle on the shelf, (or if less dry a wave of the bottlecap over the gin)
    add 1 lemon rind shaving
    shake with cracked ice and strain into a martini stem.
    repeat as necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Arthwys
    replied
    The trick is in not using too much olive juice... And in definitely *not* using a pre-packaged mix.

Perfect Dirty Martini
    Vodka x 3 jiggers
    Dry Vermouth x 1 splash
    Olive Juice x 1 splash

Shake vigorously over ice.

Strain into large Martini glass.

Add 3 olives on a cocktail skewer or toothpick. I prefer blue cheese-stuffed olives or vermouth-marinated pimiento-stuffed olives.
    A shaken Martini will bruise the Gin ( if you've got gin in it) but also helps to water the drink down (alcohol melting the Ice in the shaker)

A gentle Stirring will keep it strong but if you're worried about too much 'dirt' use a teaspoon to pull up your olives and on the last ( of 3) let the brine in the spoon go in as well, just make sure your first two olive pulls are dry.
    Last edited by Arthwys; 15 Oct 09, 14:21. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    I'm with Admiral...all attempts to improve good liquor are a waste of time and energy. Above all, fruits and vegetables should be kept away from honest drinks. Throw some crushed ice into that mess and you've got a Martini Marguerita, a horrible concept.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 15 Oct 09, 14:21.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by jose50 View Post
    Hey Doc did ya ever try the olives with the jalapenos in them?
    Not in a Martini... But I have used them in Bloody Mary's... And they're really good as a snack food!

Garlic-stuffed olives are also really good in Bloody Mary's too.

Leave a comment:

• Jose50
    replied
    Hey Doc did ya ever try the olives with the jalapenos in them?

Leave a comment:

• cecilia
    replied
    Forget the Martini i'll have the gin

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    The trick is in not using too much olive juice... And in definitely *not* using a pre-packaged mix.

Perfect Dirty Martini
    Vodka x 3 jiggers
    Dry Vermouth x 1 splash
    Olive Juice x 1 splash

Shake vigorously over ice.

Strain into large Martini glass.

Add 3 olives on a cocktail skewer or toothpick. I prefer blue cheese-stuffed olives or vermouth-marinated pimiento-stuffed olives.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X