Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who the heck invented the dirty martini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leftie
    replied
    I can't even eat olives anymore after a run in with dirty martinis.

It was back in 2003 or 2004 when I was leaving 29 Palms to go to Iwakuni. At my going away party I consumed quite a few of these "dirty" martinis.

I obviously went way overboard with the consumption of alcohol and from what I remember I somehow ended up crashing at a friends house. He put me in his daughters room (partial custody, wasn't in town at the time). Sometime during the night I threw up all over her stuffed animals and all over their bathroom.

I was way out of line and still feel bad about it to this day. Since then I don't drink much anymore and when I do, that serves as a vivid reminder of the need for moderation in all things.

As a side note, I am pretty sure karma bit me in the ass for that outburst. When we left for Iwakuni, I asked that same friend to cat sit while we got settled in Japan. My cat got outside and eaten by a coyote... I can't really be mad at him after what I did though...

Ben

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    I had a dirty martini once.I didn't like it.I like martinis,and I love olives right from the jar.But that was just too much.

Leave a comment:

• cecilia
    replied
    I don't mind a martini, but i would'nt put olive juice in it

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied
    Never saw much sense in pollutin good liquor...

Of course, the point would 1st require that the liquor was actually good to begin with...

Leave a comment:

• joea
    replied
    Wiki knows all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martini_(cocktail)

Dirty martini
    Based on the notion that a cocktail with a fruit garnish can be improved with a bit of the juice of the garnish fruit, a "dirty" martini uses olive brine in place of, or alongside, vermouth. It is also generally garnished with three olives, which emphasize the extra olive essence. Additionally, the term "dusty" martini is a dirty martini that has only a fraction of the usual olive brine.
    Edit: As does Cicero.

Leave a comment:

• Cicero
    replied
    Originally posted by Duncan View Post
    I would like to slap him.
    I love martini's. I picked up some dirty martinin mix thinking,... Hey it's orange. It'll be fruity, peachy, mangoey, orangy, good. But no. It's like licking a block of salt. Ugh...
    Golani : WHAT the heck is a dirty martini...?
    Well for starters if you bought a mix, you're not drinking a dirty martini. A dirty martini is nothing but a normal martini with some olive juice poured in with the olives.
    Gin or Vodka,
    Dry vermouth,
    olive(s)
    olive juice

Leave a comment:

• Golani
    replied
    WHAT the heck is a dirty martini...?

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    started a topic Who the heck invented the dirty martini?

Who the heck invented the dirty martini?

I would like to slap him.
    I love martini's. I picked up some dirty martinin mix thinking,... Hey it's orange. It'll be fruity, peachy, mangoey, orangy, good. But no. It's like licking a block of salt. Ugh...
Working...
X