Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who the heck invented the dirty martini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
    A shaken Martini will bruise the Gin ( if you've got gin in it) but also helps to water the drink down (alcohol melting the Ice in the shaker)

A gentle Stirring will keep it strong but if you're worried about too much 'dirt' use a teaspoon to pull up your olives and on the last ( of 3) let the brine in the spoon go in as well, just make sure your first two olive pulls are dry.
    I never got the hang of Gin Martinis... I love Tanqueray & Tonic... But I've never really liked the taste of straight Gin.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

...it's got to be REALLY cold...
      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
        I never got the hang of Gin Martinis... I love Tanqueray & Tonic... But I've never really liked the taste of straight Gin.
        I found that Gin is generally a Masochistic alcohol, but then some of us need punishing.

Gin and tonic is my preferred way of drinking it when I do, but I sometimes have Martinis when I'm in a sour mood.

On the whole I prefer Single Malt and my McEwans Scotch Ale
        BoRG
        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I'm with Admiral...all attempts to improve good liquor are a waste of time and energy. Above all, fruits and vegetables should be kept away from honest drinks. Throw some crushed ice into that mess and you've got a Martini Marguerita, a horrible concept.
          Actually a Martini Margarita isn't bad. It's basically a good Tequila, an orange liqueur (like Patron Citronage) and a squeeze of lime juice, shaken over ice.

Now if we're talking good liquor - like Scotch or Cognac - I agree. Neat is the only way to go...
          "When I drink water, I drink water. When I drink whisky, I drink whisky!"

--Barry Fitzgerald as Michaleen Oge Flynn in The Quiet Man
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
            I found that Gin is generally a Masochistic alcohol, but then some of us need punishing.

Gin and tonic is my preferred way of drinking it when I do, but I sometimes have Martinis when I'm in a sour mood.

On the whole I prefer Single Malt and my McEwans Scotch Ale
            I've just recently "discovered" Single Malt Scotch. I had never been a fan of whiskeys before I tried Glenlivet... Now I have a new expensive hobby...

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
              I've just recently "discovered" Single Malt Scotch. I had never been a fan of whiskeys before I tried Glenlivet... Now I have a new expensive hobby...
              Indeed! Welcome to the Club Doc

I find it's an investment but worth it. After all the water-of-life never goes bad as long as you keep the Cork in. If you like glenlivet, you might want to try Lagavulin, their 16 yearold is nice and the 21 ( if you have the $$) is heavenly.
              BoRG
              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

With apologies to James Bond (shaken, not stirred) and a few other folks here, calling a drink in which the primary alcohol is not gin a martini is a travesty. Give it some other stupid name, but to suffer the idignity of ordering a martini and being asked by the bartender what alcohol to use is almost too much to tolerate.

Comment

...'of all the gin-joints in all the world she hadda drop into mine..'

What Mark just said...there are only two types of proper martini, a 'dry' martini and a 'perfect'(aka 'pink') martini..both are made with gin as the primary spirit.

ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                  IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Working...
                  X