Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who the heck invented the dirty martini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who the heck invented the dirty martini?

I would like to slap him.
    I love martini's. I picked up some dirty martinin mix thinking,... Hey it's orange. It'll be fruity, peachy, mangoey, orangy, good. But no. It's like licking a block of salt. Ugh...
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

WHAT the heck is a dirty martini...?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
      I would like to slap him.
      I love martini's. I picked up some dirty martinin mix thinking,... Hey it's orange. It'll be fruity, peachy, mangoey, orangy, good. But no. It's like licking a block of salt. Ugh...
      Golani : WHAT the heck is a dirty martini...?
      Well for starters if you bought a mix, you're not drinking a dirty martini. A dirty martini is nothing but a normal martini with some olive juice poured in with the olives.
      Gin or Vodka,
      Dry vermouth,
      olive(s)
      olive juice

Comment

Wiki knows all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martini_(cocktail)

Dirty martini
        Based on the notion that a cocktail with a fruit garnish can be improved with a bit of the juice of the garnish fruit, a "dirty" martini uses olive brine in place of, or alongside, vermouth. It is also generally garnished with three olives, which emphasize the extra olive essence. Additionally, the term "dusty" martini is a dirty martini that has only a fraction of the usual olive brine.
        Edit: As does Cicero.

Comment

Never saw much sense in pollutin good liquor...

Of course, the point would 1st require that the liquor was actually good to begin with...

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

I don't mind a martini, but i would'nt put olive juice in it
            "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised"
            Zap Brannigan. Futurama

Comment

I had a dirty martini once.I didn't like it.I like martinis,and I love olives right from the jar.But that was just too much.
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

I can't even eat olives anymore after a run in with dirty martinis.

It was back in 2003 or 2004 when I was leaving 29 Palms to go to Iwakuni. At my going away party I consumed quite a few of these "dirty" martinis.

I obviously went way overboard with the consumption of alcohol and from what I remember I somehow ended up crashing at a friends house. He put me in his daughters room (partial custody, wasn't in town at the time). Sometime during the night I threw up all over her stuffed animals and all over their bathroom.

I was way out of line and still feel bad about it to this day. Since then I don't drink much anymore and when I do, that serves as a vivid reminder of the need for moderation in all things.

As a side note, I am pretty sure karma bit me in the ass for that outburst. When we left for Iwakuni, I asked that same friend to cat sit while we got settled in Japan. My cat got outside and eaten by a coyote... I can't really be mad at him after what I did though...

Ben
                "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

The trick is in not using too much olive juice... And in definitely *not* using a pre-packaged mix.

Perfect Dirty Martini
                  Vodka x 3 jiggers
                  Dry Vermouth x 1 splash
                  Olive Juice x 1 splash

Shake vigorously over ice.

Strain into large Martini glass.

Add 3 olives on a cocktail skewer or toothpick. I prefer blue cheese-stuffed olives or vermouth-marinated pimiento-stuffed olives.
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Forget the Martini i'll have the gin
                    "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised"
                    Zap Brannigan. Futurama

Comment

Hey Doc did ya ever try the olives with the jalapenos in them?
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by jose50 View Post
                        Hey Doc did ya ever try the olives with the jalapenos in them?
                        Not in a Martini... But I have used them in Bloody Mary's... And they're really good as a snack food!

Garlic-stuffed olives are also really good in Bloody Mary's too.
                        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I'm with Admiral...all attempts to improve good liquor are a waste of time and energy. Above all, fruits and vegetables should be kept away from honest drinks. Throw some crushed ice into that mess and you've got a Martini Marguerita, a horrible concept.
                          Last edited by Mountain Man; 15 Oct 09, 13:21.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                            The trick is in not using too much olive juice... And in definitely *not* using a pre-packaged mix.

Perfect Dirty Martini
                            Vodka x 3 jiggers
                            Dry Vermouth x 1 splash
                            Olive Juice x 1 splash

Shake vigorously over ice.

Strain into large Martini glass.

Add 3 olives on a cocktail skewer or toothpick. I prefer blue cheese-stuffed olives or vermouth-marinated pimiento-stuffed olives.
                            A shaken Martini will bruise the Gin ( if you've got gin in it) but also helps to water the drink down (alcohol melting the Ice in the shaker)

A gentle Stirring will keep it strong but if you're worried about too much 'dirt' use a teaspoon to pull up your olives and on the last ( of 3) let the brine in the spoon go in as well, just make sure your first two olive pulls are dry.
                            Last edited by Arthwys; 15 Oct 09, 13:21. Reason: spelling
                            BoRG
                            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

...I prefer my martini to be the traditional one,,,
                              4 oz of a very good dry British gin (Bombay, Beefeater's, Tanqueray, etc)
                              acknowledgement of the dry vermouth bottle on the shelf, (or if less dry a wave of the bottlecap over the gin)
                              add 1 lemon rind shaving
                              shake with cracked ice and strain into a martini stem.
                              repeat as necessary.
                              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Working...
                              X