Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing

Not my cup of tea, but very popular in Britain .

Your stories or views?

http://www.fishing.co.uk/

Try this article to get you started .

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=2205
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

I love to fish,but I'm guessing that since you posted this in the Mess Hall,you also want to know if I eat what I catch.I practice catch and release.I'm not a big seafood eater.

One of my favorite recent stories was a couple of years ago I went down to the Delaware River,a few minutes from my house in Sandyston Twp.,NJ.It was a primitive boat launching spot in the Delaware National Rec. area.The water level was perfect.Two points were fishable from the shore,one north of the launch one south.I got there at sunrise on a mid June morning.A few minutes after I got there,a black bear came down on the Pennsy side for a drink right across the river from me.A short time later a large buck swam across the river to an island in the middle about a hundred yards north of me.Anyway,first I hiked the 1/2 mile down to the southern point,and caught 3 very nice Smallmouth Bass on a jointed Rapala.That was it for the southern end.Then I hiked up to the northern point and caught 4 equally nice Smallies.But on one of the catches,as I reeled the Smallmouth in,I noticed a long dark shadow following it in.It followed the Bass right up to the shore.It was a HUGE Muskellunge.Now the Smallmouth was pretty big.A nice fat female that I figure was about five pounds.But this Musky was 3 1/2-4 feet long.It made the hair on my neck and arms stand up.Needless to say I released that Bass way downstream.
    Attached Files
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Him indoors loves fishing, so much so at one point i thought he was cheating on me. He went fishing one day and was gone for three days.
      "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised"
      Zap Brannigan. Futurama

Comment

Noodling (in honor of Nick)

This is how "real" men and women fish...................

Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Fishin'? yup!
          Here on the short seacoast we are blessed with beautiful beaches(for surfcasting) tidal marshes, a few slow moving rivers and a pond or two. All are conducive to fishing but my favorite is to fish from a boat drifting or anchored out by the Isles of Shoals. There, depending on the method and time of year, you can catch cod, hake, cusk, bluefish, striped bass, haddock, mackerel, perch, rosefish, dogfish, ling, conger eel, wolffish, pogies, herring, pollock, flounder, skate, shark and, if you're not careful, your thumb on a hook!
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

LOVE fishing, both at the east coast (surf/pier) and at the lake at the edge of my neighborhood. I enjoy the coast fishing more than the lake... but the gap is getting smaller.
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

I'm surprised that no one has responded to my "noodling" post, especially non-Americans. Even I think it's on the fringe of insanity.
              Lance W.

Comment

I like the idea of catching a fish with my bare hands.However,I really don't like the idea of sticking my hands into an underwater hole.Snapping turtles,snakes,beaver,muskrat,and such can put a serious hurt on your hand.And I still don't know why this thread is in the Mess Hall.
                Last edited by Gixxer86g; 23 Sep 09, 19:38.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                  I like the idea of catching a fish with my bare hands.However,I really don't like the idea of sticking my hands into an underwater hole.Snapping turtles,snakes,beaver,muskrat,and such can put a serious hurt on your hand.And I still don't know why this thread is in the Mess Hall.
                  Some fisherman DO eat their catch..........
                  Lance W.

Comment

If I'm not going to catch/cook/eat the fish I always throw them back in .
                    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Fishing.
                      Yep!
                      It's absolutely best when you're fishing somewhere where you can actually EAT what you catch.

There are WAAAAAY too many polluted waters around where I live. The rivers have state-issued advisories agaisnt them for neurotoxic pollutants like mercury, nitrates, etc. from industrial plant waste-discharge and crop-fertilizer run-off. Sometimes the coastal waters get bad from time to time, too. It's sad.

There are plenty of good spots to fish but you gotta travel a little.

"Noodling" is something you'll never catch me doing for recreation. If I was in a survival situation and hungry, that's different, but I'm not that "Daniel Boone".
                      Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                        Some fisherman DO eat their catch..........
                        Sure,but has anyone posted anything about that end of the process?On a more serious note,it's really unfortunate that high levels of mercury and lead make eating fresh water fish in the US a dangerous thing.I'm not really a seafood guy,but I do love panfish(sunnies and yellow perch).
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

I wish I enjoyed fish because we have some really good stuff here in Alaska. Salmon, halibut, rock fish, ling cod, crab. The problem is I can't stand it. Happily there are plenty of others who are happy to eat whatever I might be lucky enough to catch. Who would want to eat something that looks like a ling cod?
                          Last edited by llkinak; 26 Sep 09, 09:35.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X