X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonel Sennef
    replied
    Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
    So Jeroen, are you fond of the European 'dry' style of cigar? or more of the new world 'fresh' rolled variety? I enjoy both. My fave European style is a Villiger 'Export'. It may be machine-made but it has a very good quality and consistency. Have never tried Schimmelpennick, have you?
    I must admit that I never had the 'fresh' rolled experience, but I'm certainly open to it, though I may find it too wet.

Good you know about Dutch cigars
    Schimmelpennincks are AFAIK not produced for the Dutch market any longer.
    The Dutch can only buy them tax free while flying from Holland, but there are still other Dutch brands of cigars to be had
    Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 06 May 13, 13:35.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    When I worked at the country club, I would take $15 cigars and and hollow them out, fill them with weed, and make them worth smoking.

Had to give it up though. The tobacco was just too gross.

Leave a comment:

• Jose50
    replied
    So Jeroen, are you fond of the European 'dry' style of cigar? or more of the new world 'fresh' rolled variety? I enjoy both. My fave European style is a Villiger 'Export'. It may be machine-made but it has a very good quality and consistency. Have never tried Schimmelpennick, have you?

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    I don't partake. Being asthmatic, and being stupid in the Guards, after one half of a white owl? And less than half of an 'Its a Boy' one one of my men gave me, no more.

Leave a comment:

• Freightshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
    Upmann
    Not only do I like these mild and smooth cigars as they fill the middle field so well.
    Smaller cigars (cigarillos etc.) often are too sharp to be really enjoyable
    Bigger cigars often are too heavy, take too long and are forbiddingly expensive to really enjoy.

Secondlly as a historian I also like the story behind these Upmann cigars: a German banker in the 1840s who liked his cigars so much he practically switched careers and moved to Cuba in order to establish himself in the cigar industry.
    He made his dream come true (and obviously had the means to do so
    Robusto Upmann's are also my favorite. The robusto Upmann was Cigar Aficionado's cigar of the year this year.

Leave a comment:

• Colonel Sennef
    replied
    Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
    Wholly Mackerel Jeroen! Nice of you to find this old thread and re-animate it! I agree with you. Uppman is a really fine cigar. There are others as well but I believe that some of the old brands are still worth the price. Jose
    It is a recently (re-)discovered pleasure that made me investigate what was written about it here at my favorite hangout

Leave a comment:

• Jose50
    replied
    Wholly Mackerel Jeroen! Nice of you to find this old thread and re-animate it! I agree with you. Uppman is a really fine cigar. There are others as well but I believe that some of the old brands are still worth the price. Jose

Leave a comment:

• grishnak
    replied
    Going through a giveing up phase again but used to be fond of King Edwards.

Leave a comment:

• Colonel Sennef
    replied
    H. Upmann Cigars

Upmann
    Not only do I like these mild and smooth cigars as they fill the middle field so well.
    Smaller cigars (cigarillos etc.) often are too sharp to be really enjoyable
    Bigger cigars often are too heavy, take too long and are forbiddingly expensive to really enjoy.

Secondlly as a historian I also like the story behind these Upmann cigars: a German banker in the 1840s who liked his cigars so much he practically switched careers and moved to Cuba in order to establish himself in the cigar industry.
    He made his dream come true (and obviously had the means to do so

Leave a comment:

• 6thInf grandson
    replied
    Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
    I came home for a day during a Hoenfels rotation (gotta keep me from getting separation pay...) and my wife had bought a box of Cubans and a rack of Hochstift for me. What a great surprise!! I've never been a great fan of Cubans but I do like an authentic Cohiba when I can get them.
    The R&J is about 4-5 inches long, not big at all, I don't smoke much so I got a small one. I had a Cohiba here back in January. Our Staff Sgt. got promoted then and bought us all a cigar. It was great. Nothing like a bunch of Marines sitting around at night smokin' and jokin', talk about building friendships. Goodtimes!

Leave a comment:

• Freightshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
    Why didn't you buy while you were here? I had my first and perhaps my last Cuban a couple weeks ago. Extremely mild but easy draw. But at 12.50 Euro, no thanks. I found some Sumatra's that I like. Not as mild as most DR and not as strog as. Ya can always try a John Wayne cigar, the kind you bite off the end. Marsh Wheeling's, but I believe they are no longer being made.
    I came home for a day during a Hoenfels rotation (gotta keep me from getting separation pay...) and my wife had bought a box of Cubans and a rack of Hochstift for me. What a great surprise!! I've never been a great fan of Cubans but I do like an authentic Cohiba when I can get them.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
    It should be an authentic Cuban, although counterfeiting has run rampant in the last few years. Cubans are usually a stronger smoke and a R&J should be great. What size is it? We always hit the smoke shops when I was in Kuwait and Korea.
    Why didn't you buy while you were here? I had my first and perhaps my last Cuban a couple weeks ago. Extremely mild but easy draw. But at 12.50 Euro, no thanks. I found some Sumatra's that I like. Not as mild as most DR and not as strog as. Ya can always try a John Wayne cigar, the kind you bite off the end. Marsh Wheeling's, but I believe they are no longer being made.

Leave a comment:

• Freightshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by 6thInf grandson View Post
    I bought one that's supposedly Cuban, as we're in Iraq and we're not allowed to buy any and take them home I assume it really is.. Any way, it's called Romeo and Juliet, just wondering if it's any good. I bought it for my promotion on Wed. I hope it's good. It smells great.
    It should be an authentic Cuban, although counterfeiting has run rampant in the last few years. Cubans are usually a stronger smoke and a R&J should be great. What size is it? We always hit the smoke shops when I was in Kuwait and Korea.

Leave a comment:

• 6thInf grandson
    replied
    I bought one that's supposedly Cuban, as we're in Iraq and we're not allowed to buy any and take them home I assume it really is.. Any way, it's called Romeo and Juliet, just wondering if it's any good. I bought it for my promotion on Wed. I hope it's good. It smells great.

Leave a comment:

• Patton 7079
    replied
    Wow you can tell im from Rochester NH when I say simple and sweet, Acid with infused tea leafs.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X