Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sebfrench76
    replied
    Have a look at how we're raising funds in France...

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-ne...riple-estimate

Leave a comment:

• Jose50
    replied
    Just give me something that isn't less than three or four steps above salad dressing....

Leave a comment:

• johnbryan
    replied
    Originally posted by globetrotter View Post
    back to topic!!

My current favorite is Burgundy; pinot noir to be exact. Australia produces some pinot noir, but my favorite wine @ present is Gevrey de Chambertin.

Any cru will do. Gevrey de Chambertin was, incidentally, Napoleon's favorite wine, though he was probably never drunk in his life.
    I enjoyed a wonderful bottle of Sutter Home Pinot Noir wine last night. Really tasty stuff!.

Leave a comment:

• johnbryan
    replied
    Originally posted by JBark View Post
    The better reds are aged in oak barrels so I would not avoid them...especially if you are buying. Too much oak, especially acidic, is not a good thing but can be tempered a bit by the old "let it breath." Decant a red in to a caraffe and let it sit for more than 20 seconds before you chug it. The taste will get better.

Reds are great with foods...red meats, game, cheese, all that red Italian stuff and even chicken.

Research it and like you say you can find great stuff. Three most important things about good wine are location, location, and experience. Sure as hell you are not getting a good wine from Maine, England or Russia. The best wine producers all come from belts on the globe a certain distance from the equator and soil of a particular type. Stick to them, find good vineyards and check what years were good. Grapes are a crop like any other.
    Decanting the wine is the key! It can make even cheap plonk taste a lot better. Take it from one who knows. lol I usually pour mine with the bottle located several inches above the glass in order to oxygenate the wine a bit.

Leave a comment:

• JBark
    replied
    Originally posted by Baldric View Post
    Strange fact about wine.

Cheap white wine is ok. Spending more than £5 or £6 per bottle will only get you incremental benefits in quality.

Cheap red wine is awful. Spending between £8 and £10 will get you something 100 x better than the budget stuff.

Give red wine another try. Pick an £8+ bottle from a good supermarket. If it stresses fruit flavours with a touch of vanilla, thats a nice combo. Aussie Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon is a good first try.

Avoid anything that stresses wood or oak on the label.Its an acquired taste, and at the cheaper price points, it just means that they add sawdust to the mix .

Baldric
    The better reds are aged in oak barrels so I would not avoid them...especially if you are buying. Too much oak, especially acidic, is not a good thing but can be tempered a bit by the old "let it breath." Decant a red in to a caraffe and let it sit for more than 20 seconds before you chug it. The taste will get better.

Reds are great with foods...red meats, game, cheese, all that red Italian stuff and even chicken.

Research it and like you say you can find great stuff. Three most important things about good wine are location, location, and experience. Sure as hell you are not getting a good wine from Maine, England or Russia. The best wine producers all come from belts on the globe a certain distance from the equator and soil of a particular type. Stick to them, find good vineyards and check what years were good. Grapes are a crop like any other.

Leave a comment:

• Karri
    replied
    I was in a party a few weeks back, it was organised to gather some money to help students in Nepal buy pens and shite. They had a raffle and I won a 20 euro gift card to a wine bar...should probably pick up a few names from this thread and go enjoy

Leave a comment:

• Jose50
    replied
    I heard that it gave him gout...

Leave a comment:

• globetrotter
    replied
    back to topic!!

My current favorite is Burgundy; pinot noir to be exact. Australia produces some pinot noir, but my favorite wine @ present is Gevrey de Chambertin.

Any cru will do. Gevrey de Chambertin was, incidentally, Napoleon's favorite wine, though he was probably never drunk in his life.
    Last edited by globetrotter; 17 May 13, 06:31.

Leave a comment:

• Pergite
    replied
    Liked the white wine/sister reference. It is in the same leauge as the comparison between Aussie beer and making love in a canoe....

I am actually sort of hooked on rosť wines at the moment. It tastes just like summer and goes perfectly to a BBQ when you are not in the mood for beer or any more complicated wines. It is also something that you can drink large quantities of without hesitation.

And yes, I am man enough to be able to enjoy it without questioning my sexual orientation .

Leave a comment:

• Reiver
    replied
    Brave comes & goes, stupid tends to linger. Was brave once - got over it, hmmmn or was it gas?

Leave a comment:

• cecilia
    replied
    Actually it would take a brave or stupid man to kiss my sister

Leave a comment:

• cecilia
    replied
    White wine like kissing your sister, you've never seen my sister.

Leave a comment:

• johnbryan
    replied
    Originally posted by Torien View Post
    I felt something... but I don't think it was fear. Or loathing.

Maybe I just need more wine.
    Yes, my advice to you is to start drinking heavily! Afterall, I was once pre-med in college, or was it pre-law?

Leave a comment:

• Torien
    replied
    Originally posted by Reiver View Post
    The Hotel Ladies in Lopburi would, no doubt, describe them as Thai Bananas, not Chinese Bananas. Completely inadequate for a proper Banana Split.
    Must admit that you Did feel fear & loathing though, eh?
    I felt something... but I don't think it was fear. Or loathing.

Maybe I just need more wine.

Leave a comment:

• Reiver
    replied
    The Hotel Ladies in Lopburi would, no doubt, describe them as Thai Bananas, not Chinese Bananas. Completely inadequate for a proper Banana Split.
    Must admit that you Did feel fear & loathing though, eh?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X