I think it's time for a glass of wine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back to topic!!

My current favorite is Burgundy; pinot noir to be exact. Australia produces some pinot noir, but my favorite wine @ present is Gevrey de Chambertin.

Any cru will do. Gevrey de Chambertin was, incidentally, Napoleon's favorite wine, though he was probably never drunk in his life.
    Last edited by globetrotter; 17 May 13, 06:31.
    "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

I heard that it gave him gout...
      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I was in a party a few weeks back, it was organised to gather some money to help students in Nepal buy pens and shite. They had a raffle and I won a 20 euro gift card to a wine bar...should probably pick up a few names from this thread and go enjoy
        Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Baldric View Post
          Strange fact about wine.

Cheap white wine is ok. Spending more than 5 or 6 per bottle will only get you incremental benefits in quality.

Cheap red wine is awful. Spending between 8 and 10 will get you something 100 x better than the budget stuff.

Give red wine another try. Pick an 8+ bottle from a good supermarket. If it stresses fruit flavours with a touch of vanilla, thats a nice combo. Aussie Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon is a good first try.

Avoid anything that stresses wood or oak on the label.Its an acquired taste, and at the cheaper price points, it just means that they add sawdust to the mix .

Baldric
          The better reds are aged in oak barrels so I would not avoid them...especially if you are buying. Too much oak, especially acidic, is not a good thing but can be tempered a bit by the old "let it breath." Decant a red in to a caraffe and let it sit for more than 20 seconds before you chug it. The taste will get better.

Reds are great with foods...red meats, game, cheese, all that red Italian stuff and even chicken.

Research it and like you say you can find great stuff. Three most important things about good wine are location, location, and experience. Sure as hell you are not getting a good wine from Maine, England or Russia. The best wine producers all come from belts on the globe a certain distance from the equator and soil of a particular type. Stick to them, find good vineyards and check what years were good. Grapes are a crop like any other.
          John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
            The better reds are aged in oak barrels so I would not avoid them...especially if you are buying. Too much oak, especially acidic, is not a good thing but can be tempered a bit by the old "let it breath." Decant a red in to a caraffe and let it sit for more than 20 seconds before you chug it. The taste will get better.

Reds are great with foods...red meats, game, cheese, all that red Italian stuff and even chicken.

Research it and like you say you can find great stuff. Three most important things about good wine are location, location, and experience. Sure as hell you are not getting a good wine from Maine, England or Russia. The best wine producers all come from belts on the globe a certain distance from the equator and soil of a particular type. Stick to them, find good vineyards and check what years were good. Grapes are a crop like any other.
            Decanting the wine is the key! It can make even cheap plonk taste a lot better. Take it from one who knows. lol I usually pour mine with the bottle located several inches above the glass in order to oxygenate the wine a bit.
            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by globetrotter View Post
              back to topic!!

My current favorite is Burgundy; pinot noir to be exact. Australia produces some pinot noir, but my favorite wine @ present is Gevrey de Chambertin.

Any cru will do. Gevrey de Chambertin was, incidentally, Napoleon's favorite wine, though he was probably never drunk in his life.
              I enjoyed a wonderful bottle of Sutter Home Pinot Noir wine last night. Really tasty stuff!.
              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Just give me something that isn't less than three or four steps above salad dressing....
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Have a look at how we're raising funds in France...

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-ne...riple-estimate
                  That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X