X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap. Teancum
    replied
    Super Book is the best portuguese beer.
    It's been over 20 years since I had my last one, but my drinking friends are still faithfull to it.

Leave a comment:

• johnbryan
    replied
    There is a humorous but true story about the first time that German beer-brewing monks presented kegs of bock beer to the wine drinking bishops and Pope of Rome during the Lenten Season, back during the Middle Ages.

Bock beer was originally devised by the monastic orders of monks so that German Christians who were fasting throughout the 40 days of Lent would not lose so much of their weight and possibly health. Therefore, they brewed a beer that was exceptionally high in alcohol content and also, in much needed calories.

Upon tasting the beer for the first time, the wine-drinking Pope commended the monastic brewers not only for their highly alcoholic and "heavy" beer, but also for instilling additional pennance to anyone for having drunk it...

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Never heard of Bock beer. Probably like Belgian Trappist beers?

Leave a comment:

• MonsterZero
    replied
    I'm so loaded on beer tonight I can barely type. Generally speaking, I don't drink dark. Polish breweries (which are my favorite) do make a number of "burned" (palone) brands like Okocim Palone. The beer bottle features a burning Phoenix on the label. This is very dark beer.

Last edited by MonsterZero; 06 Mar 09, 04:37.

Leave a comment:

• Biscuit
    replied
    Shiner Bock!

Leave a comment:

• johnbryan
    started a topic It's bock beer time, people!!

It's bock beer time, people!!

The Lenten times are upon us once again and it's time to drink that marvelous, mahogony colored, exremely high octane dark beer otherwise known as "Bock Beer." What are your favorites?

Samuel Adams Imperial Bock Beer rates right up there with the very best bock beers from Germany, but there are other beers of merit on this side of the Atlantic. Schell Dopplebock is another one of them.

What say you?..

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X