Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous peanut butter?

Hi everybody,
    Lately I heared that it's dangerous to consume peanut butter from the U.S because something weird was found in it...

Personally, I couldn't care less, I'm not that big of a peanut butter consumer (other than maybe Cpt. Crunch cerial...) but my mom an aunt are hysterical....

Anyone know something about it...?

Well peanut butter is dangerous if you have an allergy to it...otherwise no idea what this is about.

Comment

Here is the story:
      King Nut recalls peanut butter over salmonella
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28585261/

I think this is the only brand that is the problem. But check the story for details.
      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
      _________
      BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post
        Well peanut butter is dangerous if you have an allergy to it...otherwise no idea what this is about.
        Yeah, well, clearly...

I meant some external metrial that has nothing to do with peanut butter and supposedly can cause cancer was found in peanut butter from the U.S (not sure if it just in exported metrial or all).

Stuff like that happen all the time so I'm not too excited about it, like I said, I wanted to calm my family down a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
          Here is the story:
          King Nut recalls peanut butter over salmonella
          http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28585261/

I think this is the only brand that is the problem. But check the story for details.
          Oh, Salmonela, not cancer....

Thanks for the help! these brands have no relevance to us, so everyone can go to sleep quitely tonight...

Thanks agin!

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
            Oh, Salmonela, not cancer....

Thanks for the help! these brands have no relevance to us, so everyone can go to sleep quitely tonight...

Thanks agin!
            You are most welcome. Glad I could help.
            History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
            _________
            BoRG

Comment

I recently found out that they sell Jiff over here.
              Guess which brand we use at our place since?
              All warfare is based on deception.
              Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
                I recently found out that they sell Jiff over here.
                Guess which brand we use at our place since?
                Jif is ... very good! (I was going to say awesome but then I remembered the Word you Hate thread!)

I eat Jif almost every day. And even better, since this scare started, Smuckers (who owns Jif) has issued coupons to encourage use of their product since King Nut and all it's customer's peanut butter is bad.

BTW, Smuckers is headquartered in Orrville, Ohio and King Nut is in Solon, Ohio, both about a 1/2 hour drive from my house.

I am in peanut butter central!
                _________
                BoRG

Comment

Follow-up:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28899634

Peanut Corp. recalls all products back to 2007
                  _________
                  BoRG

Comment

Had me 2 Jiff and Jelly sandwiches last night . Tasty!
                    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                      Hi everybody,
                      Lately I heared that it's dangerous to consume peanut butter from the U.S because something weird was found in it...

Personally, I couldn't care less, I'm not that big of a peanut butter consumer (other than maybe Cpt. Crunch cerial...) but my mom an aunt are hysterical....

Anyone know something about it...?
                      You have already seen the comment about a salmonela outbreak. Old new and now under control.

There is however a fungus that can establish itself in peanut hulls while they are still in the ground. This fungus produces chemicals that are extremely carcinogenic. If any nuts are found with this fungus no peanuts from that field or any holding bin or transport they may have been mixed with can be used. More of a problem with boiled preperations than processes involving roasting.

On the plus side it is heavily inspected for and easy to spot. I have never seen it on peanuts for sale at stores or farmers markets. I believe it is quite rare as eradication and inspection have been in place for decades. The only examples I have seen of it were in pictures.
                      "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
                      Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

Not so old...... from the AP less than an hour ago...

Peanut plant problem forces fresh recall
                        By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR 49 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) Worried about salmonella, the Army said Thursday it's removing some peanut butter items from warehouses in Europe, the latest in an ever-growing list of recalled peanut products linked to a national salmonella outbreak.

Already more than 430 kinds of cakes, cookies and other goods in the civilian world have been pulled off store shelves in what the Food and Drug Administration is calling one of the largest product recalls in memory. The Army's recall does not affect Meals-Ready-to-Eat, but another kind of military grub called Unitized Group Rations-A, which provide a complete 50-person meal.

More than 500 people have gotten sick in the U.S. outbreak, and at least eight may have died as a result of salmonella infection.

At the center of the investigation is a Georgia peanut processing plant where federal inspectors reported finding roaches, mold, a leaking roof and other sanitary problems.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...KuuQQD960TON01

I read about this FDA investigation last night on the web and one thing that struck me was that apparently the operators of this plant at one point blatently lied to the Food and Drug Administration investigating the outbreak when they knew that they had internal tests showing thier product to be contaminated. In my opinion someone for that alone should end up in jail. eventually.
                        Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                          Jif is ... very good! (I was going to say awesome but then I remembered the Word you Hate thread!)

I eat Jif almost every day. And even better, since this scare started, Smuckers (who owns Jif) has issued coupons to encourage use of their product since King Nut and all it's customer's peanut butter is bad.

BTW, Smuckers is headquartered in Orrville, Ohio and King Nut is in Solon, Ohio, both about a 1/2 hour drive from my house.

I am in peanut butter central!
                          Some people have all the luck.
                          I'm asking the wife to make pancakes tomorrow and I'm going to use my Jiff... again.
                          All warfare is based on deception.
                          Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

I'm on the US product recall mailing list and the peanut related recalls have just been rolling in for over a week now.

Getting near the point of hysteria if you ask me.
                            Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Golani,

You could contact Israeli Intelligence about having a large batch of peanut butter labeled with the company having the recall and have it shipped to Hamas in Gaza, with documents saying it is a relief shipment from Iran...

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X