Pörkölt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pörkölt

A simple dish, can be made with either beef or pork, although best results I find come from using pork shoulder - the extra fat in the shoulder results in a more tender meat.

Ingredients
    500g pork shoulder chopped (stewing pork)
    Hungarian paprika (spicy, not like N. American paprika) - 2 tsp. (more if you like it spicy)
    1 or 2 green onions, diced
    1 diced garlic clove
    pepper
    olive oil
    spices - basil, salt, oregano (but not a lot)
    vegetable broth

Add olive oil to cooking pot. Add diced onions when oil is hot. Stir frequently. Add pork and diced garlic. Brown on all sides, keeping relatively high heat. Add paprika and spices. Stir. Reduce heat and add vegetable broth (enough to cover all the meat). Simmer for 8-10 hours. Do net let broth boil! (best is to place a wooden spoon crosswise across pot under lid). Keep adding to broth when reduced - every couple of hours.

Serve over chopped cooked potatoes or very small Hungarian noodles with a dollop of sour cream.

Looks very apatizing !!! But I think I'll leave off that dollop of sour cream
    I like Dogs far better than most People

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

I had a beef dish which may have been this in Budapest. It was gorgeous although there was about 2 pound of meat, plus a hint of garnish - the veg. Hungarian paprika is superb. Will rep you for this dish when I can !
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
        I had a beef dish which may have been this in Budapest. It was gorgeous although there was about 2 pound of meat, plus a hint of garnish - the veg. Hungarian paprika is superb. Will rep you for this dish when I can !
        Sounds like porkolt...gyulas (goulash) usually has vegetable...and yes...Hungarian paprika is the real stuff.....

and KF...sour cream is not necessary...in fact, traditionally, sour cream is not served with porkolt....but if you end up making it too spicy, sour cream works well in cutting the spiciness. Best thing about this dish is that it takes about 7 minutes for the actual cooking....the rest...you just leave it on the stove and get back to ACG.

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
          Sounds like porkolt...gyulas (goulash) usually has vegetable...and yes...Hungarian paprika is the real stuff.....

and KF...sour cream is not necessary...in fact, traditionally, sour cream is not served with porkolt....but if you end up making it too spicy, sour cream works well in cutting the spiciness. Best thing about this dish is that it takes about 7 minutes for the actual cooking....the rest...you just leave it on the stove and get back to ACG.
          I'm going to agree with Nick -- this sounds exactly like what I had in Buda-Pest two years ago -- and it was outstanding !!

My mother still cooks with Hungarian Spices - my aunt in Austria sends them to her <sshhhhhh> --
          I like Dogs far better than most People

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

This sounds delicious, Skoblin! I'll make it soon.
            Love. Where does it come from?
            from The Thin Red Line

Comment

Originally posted by Dolley View Post
              This sounds delicious, Skoblin! I'll make it soon.
              Let me know how it turns out........

EDIT: Did I mention simmer 8-10 hours minimum? I usually let it simmer about 5 or 6 hours one day...put in the fridge overnight after it cools off....then simmer it again for another 5 or 6 hours......or longer.
              Last edited by Skoblin; 19 Jan 09, 00:00.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X