Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mess Hall is now open for holiday dining and cheer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dhuffjr
    replied
    I just checked the box. Idahoan real premium mashed potatoes. Bought them at Sam's Club.....its a big box. Real is always better but these take minutes. A much better substitute than say minute rice in my book. Minute rice I've still had any I care for.

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied
    I've always had an aversion to 'fake' spuds since me childhood...

But, by your comments... maybe I'll hafta give em another go round!

Me only real problem - if they are any good, now - is that I lurv mashed taters for the lumps!

I have been known to throw some broken up Tots in for texture!

Man, I'm starvin, now!

Munchkin... When's dinner?

Har!

Leave a comment:

• dhuffjr
    replied
    Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
    All right, I'll tell you what we had at a real live DFAC in Iraq. That's what they call mess halls these days.

Real turkey, fake mashed potates, steak burned to shoe leather, ham, all kinds of deserts, Welch's imitation wine, lots of salad bar items, shrimp cocktail & sauce.

All in all it was pretty decent, but I saw a menu while I was at FOB Ishkan and wish I were there, they had lobster tails. Well, when you're one of 300 in the middle of the bad guys I reckon you deserve some good stuff.
    My niece's husband said he had a hard time keeping weight off when he was over there. Then as a wire/network guy he was not allowed to leave the base.

Fake mashed potatoes are not what they used to be. We just bought a box of some that were heard were really good and well they are!

Leave a comment:

• Trailboss49
    replied
    All right, I'll tell you what we had at a real live DFAC in Iraq. That's what they call mess halls these days.

Real turkey, fake mashed potates, steak burned to shoe leather, ham, all kinds of deserts, Welch's imitation wine, lots of salad bar items, shrimp cocktail & sauce.

All in all it was pretty decent, but I saw a menu while I was at FOB Ishkan and wish I were there, they had lobster tails. Well, when you're one of 300 in the middle of the bad guys I reckon you deserve some good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied
    Made it home alright & spent the day with the lurvly lass!

She got a new Lap Top - her 1st all to herself...

I got a nice HD 40gig hard drive Movie Cam - I love it!

We ate so much today while bowling that we have belayed our Christmas Dinner till tomorrow!

Steak, Shrimp, Spuds, Butt Rolls, Saffron Rice...

Couldn't bring ourselves to do it today & only get it half eaten!

Figgered on being a little unconventional this year...

Had a White Christmas, too!

Happy, Happy, Joy Joy, ALL!

Leave a comment:

• dhuffjr
    replied
    Church and the family gathering this evening. Santa comes in the morning. I'm looking forward to the looks from the goofy stuff I get my wife every year. I've been telling her I got her a sewing machine. I got needle and thread and assorted what looks good for a man sewing crap for her stocking.

The best was last year. Justin Timberlake.......SNL box skit.....yep I did....took an hour to wrap a box with a lid that opens I tell ya! The "look"....priceless.....well it was a shriek and a skowl but worth it .

No cooking for me. Mr Norovirus visited me Monday. Food service rules no food prep for 3 day after. I had to pitch a couple pounds of cheese I smoked Monday before the onset too. Oh well. Cheese is cheap and a late gift is better than a gift that has a special surprise a couple days later.

Merry Christmas all!

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied
    You da man, Slugmeister!

Am on the road from Greensburg to the home hovel - 4 hours - & it'sa furball of traffic as I skirt the NW edge of Wichita!

Currently survivin on 2 Johnson Brats... 2+ hours to go... ufda!

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

Throw another log on the fire, Munchkin...

I'm comin home!

Leave a comment:

• The Mess Hall is now open for holiday dining and cheer.

Hello good friends, ACG members and guests.
    The ACG Mess Hall is open and welcoming one and all, to come in and relax and visit.
    Cap Teancum my immediate superior and I, understand that many members may be traveling to and fro.
    If you can, let us know you are safe and jolly.

The dress code is casual, unless you are reenacting.
    MountainMan is the door greeter.
    The Napoleonic forum has been volunteered for kitchen police.
    Feel free to share what you are up to here.
    Anything about eating or drinking would be nice.
    Whatever is on your mind.
    A couple of years ago, we had a New Year's Eve Party here at ACG in a thread, and it turned out to be a lot of fun.
    So if you have a minute, drop in, take a break, and let us know what you're up to.

Last edited by Slug; 24 Dec 08, 13:27.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X