Organic Foods!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Foods!

Well, as I intimated in a Barracks thread, the fam and I are easing into an organic diet starting next year, and we are looking at "subscriptions" for pasture-fed beef, pork, and poultry, as well as seasonal vegetables. Although it LOOKS kind of expensive, but I'm thinking the move away from processed, hormone-infused crap we put into our bodies now to be the biggest gift we could give ourselves for the new year.

It looks like beef will average about $7 a pound, and that's fully dressed and ready to go. I COULD go for a 1/4 cow for about $2.90 hanging weight, but the amount of actual meat rendered makes the effective price about $6 a pound, plus I have to store it! With a subscription, I can get either 10, 15, or 20 pounds per month, and it is a mixture of roasts, steaks, and lean ground of some of the best tasting beef in the country, as well as some pork!

Also, I'm looking into a full-share subscription with a local farm to get vegetables, eggs, dairy, and herbs of the season delivered each week from early may through late Novenmber, and it comes out to about $18 a week.

So, for about $1200 a year, I get all the beef and 6 months of fresh veggies, dairy, and eggs, leaving me about 6 months of purchase from the commissary or a Whole Foods market for veggies, dairy, and eggs.

Roll in the other items we will need, such as grains and other items, my yearly grocery bill will be around $4K for a family of four...which is actually $1K LESS than what we were paying for groceries before. This will allow us more flexibility in purchasing an Aerogarden for some of our own homegrown stuff, as well as special items, free-range poultry, and dining out through the year!!

There IS a way to eat more healthy and cheaper!!
    Last edited by CPangracs; 23 Dec 08, 13:01.

Eating the right balance of proteins, carbohydrates and fruits/vegetables is what's missing from our diets altogether. I'd address the balance issue before I worry about the origin of the products.

http://www.mypyramid.gov/

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
      Eating the right balance of proteins, carbohydrates and fruits/vegetables is what's missing from our diets altogether. I'd address the balance issue before I worry about the origin of the products.

http://www.mypyramid.gov/
      I get a great balance in my diet. It's the processing that leaches all of the taste and nutrition out of food, leaving your body hungry at the cellular level, and the toxicity from insecticides and other chemicals. The only way to fix this is to eat organic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X