Non-Traditional Christmas Dinner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CPangracs View Post
    First, you wash them clean, then you scoop out the little "fins" and the stem inside the cap. You prepare your filling and stuff it. Normally you then sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake.

They are a good amount of work for a bite of food, but when done right, they are VERY tasty!!
    I normally stuff mushrooms with fresh, sage pork sausage and put them under the broiler. Hit them with a little grated cheese during the last couple of minutes in the oven and they're good to go!
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

My wife will make the rolls...store bought, of course.
      Not to doubt anyone's Command of their Kitchen but I'll bet your wife doesn't read this post...

That is an ambitious menu for 16 -- bon appetite!
      www.writersamuseme.com/stevepark.htm#878116944

Comment

Non-Traditional Christmas Dinner...

Hello Pangracs.
        As Morale Officer of the ACG Mess Hall, I would like to thank you for sharing your non-conventional Christmas meal.
        You did a fine job.
        In spite of your wondrous meals' potential offering, I have been asked by anonymous elves to recommend the following item to make the meal complete.

"Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Polish Style This Year

Wife feels up to making glumkis (I can't spell it in English let alone Polish) this year so we're off to find a nice head of cabbage in the morning.
          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
            Wife feels up to making glumkis (I can't spell it in English let alone Polish) this year so we're off to find a nice head of cabbage in the morning.
            I think the Polish/English spelling for cabbage rolls is "Golumbki." However it's spelled, you've got some good eating in your immediate future, my friend! I envy you!~

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
              I think the Polish/English spelling for cabbage rolls is "Golumbki." However it's spelled, you've got some good eating in your immediate future, my friend! I envy you!~
              JohnB what is the trick to keeping a good strong cabbage taste when doing cabbage rolls? They are also one o my favorites.

JohnS
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

First, you wash them clean, then you scoop out the little "fins" and the stem inside the cap. You prepare your filling and stuff it. Normally you then sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake.

They are a good amount of work for a bite of food, but when done right, they are VERY tasty!!
                My wife stuffs em with bacon cheese and other bits, certainly in the top ten of foods in my book, fan friggin tastic!!!
                Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                  JohnB what is the trick to keeping a good strong cabbage taste when doing cabbage rolls? They are also one o my favorites.

JohnS
                  You've got me there. I would try parboiling the cabbage for only a short period of time to the point that the leaves can be easily removed and worked with, but not too soft. A longer boiling time would tend to remove the natural cabbage flavor.

Comment

I normally stuff mushrooms with fresh, sage pork sausage and put them under the broiler. Hit them with a little grated cheese during the last couple of minutes in the oven and they're good to go!
                    My God that sounds fantastic!!!! What kind of Mushroom do you use???????

We are having a Lasagne, its the Bomb.
                    "Beer if proof, that God wants us to be happy!" - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by RuselUpsomegrub View Post
                      My God that sounds fantastic!!!! What kind of Mushroom do you use???????

We are having a Lasagne, its the Bomb.
                      Ordinary button mushrooms. Wash them, remove the stem and stuff the caps with pork sausage. Real easy. Cook under the broiler, sausage side up, on a raised rack and the grease runs right off the shrooms'.
                      Last edited by johnbryan; 22 Dec 08, 00:00.

Comment

Ordinary button mushrooms. Wash them, remove the stem and stuff the caps with pork sausage. Real easy. Cook under the broiler, sausage side up, on a raised rack and the grease runs right off the shrooms'.
                        My plan is to mix in Panceta (non-smoked italian "bacon") and cheddar cheese instead of the Pecorino I usually use...we have a bunch of kids (8 in all), and I want it to be something that will make them a little less afraid of eating mushrooms.

Oh yea, and anything I remove from the inside of the cap is also put into the mixture so you still get the nutritional value of that part of the mushrooms.

In fact, you'd be surprised how healthful mushroomas are!

Comment

Well, the meal was a huge success! We are still eating leftovers due to some late drops from the guest list, but everyone loved the food and all had at least seconds of everything!

Comment

Well, the meal was a huge success! We are still eating leftovers due to some late drops from the guest list, but everyone loved the food and all had at least seconds of everything!
                            Excellent! Glad to hear that it worked out so well for you!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X